sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Banned by LEA here, as is anything that even borders on being interesting or fun
-
yeah you probably see it from a different angle. My school has more money than it knows what to do with, and a laptop that just gets used at home is a sensible use of money compared with some of the things they spend it on...
-
Took a year or so but I got one. Was a piece of crap and sat at home unused. Then we needed a model of that type to swap into a curriculum set so I got a brand new one Cant say Ive ever used it at school! Use it for home stuff, since my own laptop is rubbish. I also use a nice Macbook which is officially for the whole teams use but I pretty much just use it for me
-
Free 1GB Memory Sticks for Teachers & School Staff
sidewinder replied to jamin100's topic in General Chat
Spam or not, is this really worth it for a memory stick thats worth just a few quid? -
yeah facebook should be all you need its insanely popular and the vast majority of people have an account. Only difficulty comes when trying to find people who have changed their name Friends Reunited, while ok, was a fad that loads registered for but barely any check the thing now. at least with Facebook people log in quite regularly
-
Bloody hell! I dont understand why he turned the servers off though? as there obviously wasnt an actual fire? surely just getting out would be more important
-
We give some to tech, but theres only so many clocks they can make! Wish there was a place. And I also wish companies would have a bit of common sense - eg if you're ordering 100 computers, you really dont need 100 driver cds Thankfull schools agreement is all downloadable now, because that was a massive waste as well - a huge wallet of discs, half of which we didnt even use
-
Id just congratulate him on wanting to use newsgroups rather than P2P rubbish! Newzbin is excellent, although obviously I wouldnt dream of using it for anything other than Linux ISO's To the OP - there are forums that deal specifically with providing NZB's - so if you cant get a newzbin invite, its not the end of the world
-
To be fair I do that sometimes if im lying on my bed at home - its the only stable place to put it! But a bit risky
-
never mind, tried a different laptop and seems to be ok on there so looks like a reimage unless anyone has an idea whats actually causing the probs?
-
How selfish, I demand instant support for the software! Joking, good luck and have fun
-
I have done this before but for some reason it just will not work on this laptop. I have a mandatory profile for all users. Annoyingly, some students are issued laptops and expect to be able to log on at home. I initially gave these few students roaming profiles but its become too much to manage So their accounts are now the same as everyone elses, but I still need them to be able to synchronise. When they log on and off on the network, this users documents and the mandatory profile are synchronised fine. if I pull the network cable out while he is logged on, it is fine - all work available offline If I log off then on again with no connection, everything is fine. But for some reason, when I reboot, and he logs on, it lets him but creates a new temporary local profile, and the my documents is empty (presumably because they're being directed to the temp profile) Ive set caching on both the profile share and the yeargroup share to 'all files and folders users open will be available offline' - and the sync for the profile works but it just never finds it after reboot. Im SURE Ive done this for other students and it just worked, Im tearing my hair out at this one though! Any ideas?
-
Ok think I realise why its not working now: latest versions of Safari and iTunes are for Leopard & Tiger only. Quite why Apple cant offer the last compatible versions instead of nothing, I dont know
-
I got mine
-
Haha...you'd be welcome to one if there wasnt such fierce demand for them here! Never seen teachers and students go so mad for old kit before! Glad to see it all go to good use though Yeah will probably just do that, but its annoying. Restoring an eMac in the same way now, will be interesting to see if it does the same
-
It would be far easier if you gave it a different name and IP, then promote it to a DC, install DNS etc, then demote the old one
-
I normally steer well, well clear of Pundland and the link for anything electrical - you get what you pay for Its ok for cheap leads though I suppose Always find those stores to be vastly dissapointing - really dont get the bargains you expect. I mean its no surprise, they have to make a profit so the goods are worth far less than a pound - and it shows
-
Thats cool, but Im receiving the email saying it was declined even when Accepted has been written to the file - eg at the same time It does seem to only occur on users who I've already deleted the aup.ini file for (as above - how do you get the prompt to appear again without deleting that file?)
-
Silly but serious question about a broken lamp
sidewinder replied to Little-Miss's topic in Hardware
lol when thermometers broke when i was in school no-one was evacuated or anything, no-one really cared -
We've got one of these Secureline Secure Data Cabinets Ours is the SL-SDA45E. Huge extremely heavy safe that looks like it could survive nuclear war. 2 hours fire protection Its located in another building approx 50 metres from the main building and server room - not perfect but the chance of both buildings being destroyed is extremely low
-
It was for students on a new image I was doing Although Ive sorted it now...put the machine into an OU with offline files turned off and its ok. Dunno why that would cause it to freeze but hey ho It happens on my own machine too but I think thats more to do with having about 20 explorer windows open at once
-
Just reinstalling OS X on a few old iBooks we're giving away, wanted to get everything up to date, and while software update did all the OS updates, java, airport etc it seems to refuse to do application updates? Nothing appears - it says everything is up to date yet it clearly isnt Thus, iTunes is stuck at version 4 and Safari is out of date too. If I try and download them manually, no download starts on the download page and no link appears either. Is there something I need first on 10.3 before it'll detect the missing updates
-
Been using it for a few weeks now, but Ive noticed that often I'll get an email saying a user has declined the AUP, but when I check the ini file in their documents it says Accepted Which should I believe? dont want to collar anyone for not accepting it if they actually have! I will upgrade to 1.6 over the half term, where I assume the bug is fixed (?) but just wondering what to do until then. Its fairly annoying having to manually check each person we get an email about
-
Is REALLY starting to wind me up now, whatever computer I'm using it seems to lock up as soon as I try and open anything too quickly. Is there a way to see what could be causing it? Or likely causes? Just keep getting it freezing when trying to open the start menu mostly I appreciate it could be a massive number of things but it would be nice if I could narrow it down to a certain program or even if its something simple like an incorrect shortcut
-
ebay or freecycle them - you'll have people biting your hand off if you choose the latter
