Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Schools have had bells for god knows how many years, why would they want to get rid? Talk about fixing something that isnt broken Anyway, from my school days, if we couldnt hear the bell we'd use that as an excuse to stay on the field as long as we could at the end of lunch, with no bell I can gurantee it'd be a nightmare getting the kids in unless you're going to deploy loud teachers all around the site to shout at them
  2. 344 days on a freenas box here, and I think thats only because I had to move it else it would be higher. Shows how well the thing works tbh
  3. I usually wear school branded polo shirts, which I hate but its about as casual as I can get. Dont mind wearing shirts but the heating here is so unpredictable I usually end up struggling (hate short sleeve ones) Never wear a tie to work, not a fan of ties unless you have a suit on. And I certainly cannot afford a suit for every day of the week
  4. What do other people use for auditing?
  5. Brilliant show, same as screenwipe and newswipe. Wish it was a series. Also just finished watching 'You have been watching' that he presented, that was also hilarious
  6. Shame...used the auditing software for a while and while its definately not perfcect, it does the job Didnt like Powerout and Patch I.T seemed totally pointless when you could just use WSUS
  7. All testing/playing done at work, dont have the time, space or desire to be messing around with that stuff at home anymore.
  8. Looks good, nice building What integrated desks you using there?
  9. From the beginning of P2P to the present Ive done the same thing: download albums I'm interested in, if I listen a few times and really like then I (eventually) buy it, if I dont like then it gets deleted (what would be the point in keeping it?) Copyright infringement? yes, stealing? I dont see it as so but obviously some here do. I feel alright about what I do, especially as a lot of what I buy is by smaller record labels/independants. Most of the people I know who download and dont buy anything never bought anything before, there are some people who just dont buy albums period. Thats where nothing is being lost. If they couldnt get it free they just wouldnt bother.
  10. Best point made on this thread
  11. Done it now, incredibly easy and you dont have to install it all at all, not sure what the guy who wrote the guide I used was on about. Only problem now is she cant update it without patching it. I'll warn her but I can imagine that lasting a week before its brought back to me with her saying 'its not working' If anyone is interested I used this guide: Running iMovie '08 on a G4 Mac | Truth is Still Truth
  12. Antonio I did look at Apples specs, sorry should have made that clear. Which made it even weirder that Apple would say it would work. They even offered her an upgrade to Snow Leopard! I'm going to try the hack afterall, will see how it runs, I've told her not to expect much. Couldnt find a version of HD6 for her to buy, and the free download they apparantly originally offered doesnt seem to exist anymore. One more thing, as part of the hack, you have to reinstall the whole suite - this isnt going to lose any settings is it? I've backed up the obvious things like the iPhoto library, but should everything else stay the same?
  13. Everything Ive read on the web says that a G4 will not run iMovie after HD6. I've found this to be true in that when I install iLife 08, it wont let me install imovie A teacher has an old G4 ibook we donated her. She wants imovie, I've told her unfortunately it wont run, she hasnt believed me and got her TA to phone Apple, who said it will??! I'm going to phone them myself, but I just dont want her wasting £80 or whatever on something that just isnt going to run. So does it work? ps: I know there are ways round it by using hex editors and the like, that isnt what Im asking, because quite frankly I dont want to start messing about with all that
  14. Is that a good price then? I wouldnt mind a netbook but I keep expecting them to cost a lot less than they do!
  15. computing books on holiday?? hardly getting away from it all is it!
  16. a dozen for a week?! Do you take your head out of the book to see where you actually are?
  17. Yeah thats kind of how I feel. Its good that anyone reads any books, because its bloody rare these days, but so many people would list Harry Potter as their favourite book simply because they've barely read anything else since they left school. I cant criticise too much, I only manage 2/3 books a year (yet I buy like 4 times that many...stupid) but I like reading in general..couldnt just read one author and then not bother with anything else
  18. Ive not read any of his books (they look incredibly boring) but I just dont understand the hype that surrounds some book releases? Im sure a lot of people just go and buy it because its being talked about! Theres countless good books released, why do 1 or 2 get such massive hype? Also, if I was reading a book on say the train, I'd feel like a bit of a sheep if I looked up and saw 15 other people reading the same thing
  19. Ive downgraded mine even further to the point where the only network hardware is a wireless router. Couldnt even be bothered to have any cables or a small PC as a server anymore, so bought a Western Digital WDTV box and am now just using a simple USB drive as storage
  20. Chef, absolutely no doubt. Obviously I would have to start RIGHT at the bottom and earn a pittance for a long time but I wouldnt care. Still havent ruled out quitting IT, it's not as exciting or interesting to me as it used to be Dream job would be cooking (and hopefully owning) in a small restaurant somewhere warm, but not many have that luxury
  21. Always a possibility I could make a southern one
  22. No. I can only hope that means the population isnt yet moronic enough to listen to what Chris Moyles tells them to do
  23. sidewinder

    9/11

    I've watched most of the 9/11 docs that have been on over the years, some have been good, most havent - simply repeating the same thing over and over. So the one the other night was really good in the way it was made, and also that the majority of the footage was new. The timeline angle made it feel quite realistic and gave you a sense of some of the terror people felt that day The one on the night before, phone calls from the towers, was also good but I found it hard to watch tbh...hearing someones last words is not nice. Also agree that the french brothers docu is very good I had also been to the WTC a few months before it happened, so it was extremely weird seeing it at the time
  24. Watched it the other night It wasnt bad, but other people had much the same thing in better cars. People have been putting Playstations and PC's in cars for years, yet they seemed to think they were being really original I think I must have the least gadgety car in the world. The most advanced thing is the digital clock
×
×
  • Create New...