sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Yeah, Ive got plenty of interesting people on mine, I like seeing what they're doing and without Facebook we probably wouldnt be in touch. There are a load of old school friends which I added when I first signed up, who are incredibly annoying and boring, need to delete them but a bit worried some will notice and ask why (even though we never talk)
-
Probably a stupid question but how do I check that? There are shares on this server using ACLs Both are connected to AD, thats where all the permissions are from. One is an OD master, the other is a replica
-
Pupil's Online Safety Fears - Eastern Daily Press Front Page
sidewinder replied to ninjabeaver's topic in General Chat
What an absolute tool Steve Downes is Even with the very restrictive filtering in place with our LEA, we get a few incidents where pupils find porn. Compared to the amount of times they've tried to find it and been blocked, its incredibly low -
Even with lowercase -p it still refuses to copy any permissions this is really odd This is the exact command I used: cp -R -p /volumes/homes/itteam/user /volumes/Data/homes/itteam homes being the mounted share of the old server. Did this as root Oh and its 10.5.8 I'm doing this on
-
Nope that doesnt work. Well, with -P it doesnt work anyway. --preserve isnt recognised at all
-
Women are strange! I do all mine online, dont see any reason to brave the hoards in the shops when you dont have to Even if a wife/girlfriend wanted to go shopping, there is no way on earth id go with them Weekends are meant for important things, like football and beer, which is mostly what I'll be doing with mine
-
Ah, I didnt know about the 'preserve' bit no doubt that will work then
-
Thanks all. Not sure why I couldnt find that wikipedia article, I did look, honest! We've got an account with bt business direct (what was wrong with dabs?) so ill just order one from there
-
Thanks. Not a great picture but best I can find (since I cant really unplug the switch ) Pic
-
This has been bugging me for a while, and quite rightly as its our core switch I'm talking about. We have a Procurve 5406zl, and its currently running without a UPS since the power connecter has a 'notch' in it, and none of our cables will fit. I'm sure you can buy leads with this on one end for use with a UPS, I just dont know what the proper name for it is, can anyone help?
-
Its almost certainly what TheLibrarian says I have a script that runs and sets the speaker layouts and centre speaker volume as they should be when teachers logon (since its user specific rather than machine for some reason)
-
haha yes. Doesnt matter too much because I know what they're talking about, but always raises a smile when staff say 'you know that server in our office' or 'is our server down' - referring to the switch cabinet when the internet isnt working or something
-
Ive got a window of 2 days after we break up to move everyones mac user areas from one server to another. Should be easy, but every time I have tried, permissions are not preserved (they are from AD, but both servers are bound to it) Tried both the simple 'drag and drop' GUI way and also through terminal, but the result is the same. What do I need to do? I suppose one way would be to enable SMB on both shares and copy using a Windows machine, but that doesnt really seem like an ideal method
-
Dont have a desktop anymore, just a laptop, and its an old Acer travelmate with upgraded ram and hard disk. And an old G4 iBook. I dont play games so dont need anything else
-
"Your APC Smart-UPS SC 1000VA 120V - 2U Rackmount/Tower (sc1000) comes standard with a 2 years repair or replace factory warranty. The warranty is effective from the date of purchase. In the event that you are not able to locate a dated proof of purchase receipt, your warranty is effective from the product's manufacture date. Your product was manufactured on October 14, 2006. " Damn! Not sure when we purchased it but dont think it was much later
-
I dont really get why people get so excited about getting, lets face it - a bag of crap from BETT each year. But I will admit that zebras, sweets and plants (?!) are a lot more imaginative than the usual rubbish I'm not going to BETT anyway, shame because I wouldnt mind the holiday!
-
We got ours back in the end by contacting the company who installs our smartboards. They then rung up Toshiba and we had a guy here the next day with a replacement Obviously they had more clout than a lowly school
-
I'm sorry, but regardless of what I'd been told, I would have been out there politely telling them to f off! Do you think the head would sit there taking that? Or any teacher for that matter? No. Though your school sounds awful! There are some nightmare kids here but nothing to that extent!
-
Cool, thanks for that. No idea if it is in warranty though, I assume its only a year on them?
-
Well I've found the solution to mine - doesnt look like it was anything to do with the actual black screen of death problem. Mine was to do with group policy, we had tried to set some drive maps using the new group policy way, since our vbs script doesnt seem to run on 7. Not sure if it was because of doing it that way (without having server 2008) or just because of a permissions problem, but it was causing the hang. Removed them and it logs on in seconds. The actual event log entry was: The winlogon notification subscriber took 599 second(s) to handle the notification event (StartShell). 600 seconds of cause being 10 minutes, which was the exact time it was hanging for.
-
And have just realised mine only does it when logging on as a domain user, local users are fine. As is my colleagues machine, which is identical to mine and has all the same updates etc - he just doesnt have the problem
-
Mine isnt a PB though, that was the original poster. Mine is a Dell Optiplex 745 with totally standard components!
-
We use APC SmartUPS SC UPS's in switch cabinets around the school, they're usually hassle free. Yesterday though, one went down. Assumed it was just the battery so changed that but no difference. So it is the UPS that is faulty. It beeps normally when turned on, then after about 10 seconds the overload light starts blinking (this is with nothing plugged into it) but with no alarm - the troubleshooting manual only mentions if it is beeping and the light flashing, eg it really is overloaded. Anyone else had this? Is the UPS dead?
-
You have to drink it, I want to know what its like! Not sure I could fork out £30 for a beer tbh...wouldnt mind giving the 18% Tokyo one a try though, thats 'only' a tenner
-
I'm having it, but I dont have to reboot, I do get to the desktop after waiting for about 10 minutues but it is incredibly annoying. I cant see how it could possibly be malware, I only installed Win 7 yesterday!!
