Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Are they any good generally? One of our Smart-UPS 1500's is reporting a failed battery (luckily we have 2 for redundancy) and an official APC replacement is over £200 in most places. But 3rd party batteries are less than £100. However I've read that they don't come with battery trays? Is it a big job swapping the one from the original battery? Finally, any recommended retailers for 3rd party batteries? There are quite a few different ones.
  2. Non alcoholic beer is ok actually, it doesn't taste quite the same as alcoholic but the difference is hard to describe If I couldn't drink for whatever reason I'd certainly prefer a few of those to several cokes at the pub (because I drink coke far too quickly!) Is non alcoholic beer taxed the same as normal? Eg in a pub should it be much cheaper?
  3. Good news - it's working! I wired up an adapter with the same pinout as I posted, and it works fine! Had to re-do it 3 times but thats due to my shaky hands and dodgy soldering skills (though I've got a lot better since 9am this morning!)
  4. Our heating is stuck on, so yea its rather hot
  5. Would setting the homepage to Google work? (try the link)
  6. I could......if I had a multimeter. Never had the need for one before!
  7. ok, received my connectors today, unfortunately forgot to bring soldering iron in so will have to do them tonight. Regarding the pinout: a) is it likely to be the same as the 180 degree DIN? b) if so, which of these do I need: DIN Audio pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru - I'm assuming the second one in that list, but only connection 3,5 and 2 as it is just an input? Unfortunately I couldn't get the current adapter apart to be able to look at the pinout on that
  8. I actually didn't know this. We have 3 Hyper-V servers on Enterprise licences, 2 are doing nothing else, but one is running Backup Exec purely because I needed to use USB. So I cannot do this?
  9. Not too bad at soldering, but I'm trying to avoid pulling apart our only working adapter for now! I've ordered a couple of connectors, so I'm hoping I'll be able to solder one to an RCA lead if I cut one end off
  10. I thought about that, but assumed it might damage the socket on the amp. Its an option as a last resort though. I might be ok now...there is already an adapter to a single RCA socket which is used for some microphones, so coupled with an RCA extension lead that should work (albeit only mono). If that doesn't work I'll have to buy a connector or contact the guy John mentioned One question, assuming my method does work (will go down there later) would only having 1 channel be a problem from a stereo TV source - apart from sounding a bit rubbish?
  11. We've got an ancient amp at our sports ground, which in the long term will be replaced, but in the short term needs to be able to provide sound for TV this weekend. The inputs on the amp are 5 pin DIN, with the pins at 240 degrees, like this - File:DIN-5c Diagram.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I've already bought a connector with the pins at 180 degrees, not realising there was different types. I can find some connectors, but getting one delivered and wired by saturday may be pushing it. So ideally I'm looking for a 5 pin din to RCA/3.5mm jack adapter. I'll probably go to Maplin tomorrow to see what they have (website is not very specific) but if anyone can find one I can order/buy in a shop I'd be eternally grateful! Or maybe someone has a connector they can sell/lend me??
  12. Trust me, they'll still get them out
  13. We run Windows XP and Office 2007. Our receptionist has recently stopped getting popup reminders from her calendar, which isn't great because she has a LOT of appointments. I've googled extensively, and although there is plenty on this, running the most common solutions (outlook /cleanreminders and outlook /resetfolders) do nothing, there are no error messages, and a new profile seems to make no difference. As far as I know she is the only user experiancing it, they certainly work for me anyway. There are no errors displayed either. Any other ideas as to what I can try?
  14. I'd also go software or driver conflict. If an AV and Microsoft's tool isn't finding anything, it won't be conficker. Probably isn't even a virus at all. Slightly odd that the council IT guy would tell you that and give you no proof of it, nor help you resolve it
  15. They're not brand new from Apple, that's the problem, they were ordered through a reseller who may well have had older stock (and the school had sort of agreed to use this reseller before I started this job) I knew they would be the older Core 2 Duo models but I did expect them to come with iLife 11, so didn't even think to check. But now we have them there isn't a lot we can do.
  16. Oh. Well that's a simple answer then! Guess that's another thing they've dropped with their consumer centric view Thanks anyway
  17. We've got a new suite of 18 Mac Minis, however due to when they were ordered, they have come with iLife 09. Not a big issue, but I was just wondering roughly what Apple would charge for a licence of iLife 11 for that number? Don't really want to go through the process of enquiring with Apple unless the cost is fairly minimal, because there is no point upgrading otherwise Anyone done this recently and have an idea?
  18. Is number lock on? I'm sure you've checked that, but it's something that has caught me out before
  19. The fact that the previous owners put a parking area in without moving it suggests they might have tried to get it moved themselves and were put off by cost...because it looks like isomething you would want to get moved if possible. So you're probably going to have to stump up the cash as it predates the driveway and isn't on your property
  20. OWA works fine here, but the self signed SSL cert prompt is annoying, as it worries some staff. We've got an cert from Comodo for our RDS server, bought before I arrived, which is costing £768 for 3 years, which seems a lot? I've seen there are free ones that have been discussed on here before but if the root CA isn't trusted by all browsers, theres no point
  21. The vast majority are awful and the whole competition doesn't make any sense to me - a huge amount of the fringe isn't about one liner comedians, and also some of the funniest routines are not going to be one liners. I get the feeling this list is ridiculed by the performers themselves, even the guy that 'won' sounds like he was taking the p1ss from his quote That said, I quite like number 7
  22. Hmm theres a Currys just down the road from work but I'm thinking now I may have missed the boat and there isnt much point Not that I really need one anyway!
  23. Sorry should have said: 2010 So that solution works fine. Nice and easy! Thanks
  24. When you access OWA, it requires the full domain\username combination. This is fine, but it would be easier for the less computer savvy teachers not to have to type the domain part, so is there a way that the login screen can be pre-populated with ourdomain\ and them only have to enter their username?
  25. Yup I did pretty much the same in the end, and touch wood, it has gone remarkably smoothly. Been having a few problems importing PSTs for the few staff who had excessively large mailboxes but overall it was a lot less hassle than I thought it would be
×
×
  • Create New...