-
Posts
557 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Protec
-
I think it depends on the TV. We have had an LG smart TV for a few years now and it still gets updates. Luckily, most smaller TVs are not "smart" as one of my computer monitors is a TV. I had to turn off the timer as the TV kept turning off due to the static image being kept on for so long. A disadvantage of the LG smart TVs is that even the input selection is "smart" and sometimes it won't even let you change the input until the OS has booted up fully!
-
[pics] This keyboard setup will make your wrists hurt
Protec replied to Protec's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
I think 99% of the student computers have the metal space bar guide removed so the space bar is like a See Saw. When in one piece, those Dell keyboards are nice to type on. -
[pics] This keyboard setup will make your wrists hurt
Protec replied to Protec's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
They are good keyboards. Model is probably either Dell SK-8115 or L100. They sometimes lose their key characters but I touch type anyway so it's fine! -
[pics] This keyboard setup will make your wrists hurt
Protec posted a topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
-
I need a new chair. I think I'm just going to get a bog standard blue operator chair like the ones you get in the IT suites. My current chair is an "MILLBERGET" IKEA. It's getting very squeaky now and slowly sinks. Also IKEA likes using brakes on the wheels so they don't move before you sit down. It's annoying so on mine, I got a knife and sliced off the braking mechanism so the chair move freely!
-
Seems like your CPU has gone nuclear! I'm surprised it even got to 154c to be honest! I think most BIOS / UEFI have a temp limit that can be set.
-
Things that could have been improved before being approved...
Protec replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
-
When I heard of onion routing I started crying
-
I don't know of anything that does that. Even if there was, I can't imagine it being that widely used (at least here). Most websites the teachers want students to use are not blocked and if they are, it's probably for good reason. If the site is something that has been blocked (such as an educational game) then it can be requested to be unblocked.
-
I reckon most schools will have many machines that don't support Windows 11, even by the time the deadline comes around. My main home PC doesn't support Windows 11 and these are its specs: i3-3240 16gb DDR3 RAM GTX - 750 Ti 120Gb SSD 2 x 1080p Monitors (VGA + HDMI) I don't think any of the computers in the house will support W11 and I'm not planning on replacing them all anytime soon when they all work. Most of the computers in the house are 3rd and 4th Gen Pentium, i3 and i5 with 1 E7500 machine which certainly won't support W11 lol.
-
Does Windows 11 still activate with Windows 7 keys and Windows 8 / 8.1 Digital entitlements?
-
Instagram is overall fine but the odd post doesn't load for some reason. Facebook wasn't working properly on desktop for me and hasn't for ages. I have to use the proper messenger app for Windows 10 as the messenger app for Facebook browser doesn't work.
-
Facebook still not working at all on desktop. Won't connect at all. Messenger won't work on phone or desktop, feed won't refresh on mobile. Instagram is the same. I'm surprised to see such a significant outage and for it to last this amount of time! I know local businesses who rely on Facebook messenger for communication with clients such as the local driving instructor. Not good for anyone who relies on Facebook for business!
-
Went to check the scaling on my home PC and was surprised to see that it says "make everything bigger". Surely I'm not the only one who preferred when Windows was more formal? Anyway the scaling for my 2 1080p monitors is 100% which is the default and probably the same for the ultrawide monitors I would think.
-
That was at 2560 x 1440 pixels. Default settings, no scaling, zoom, etc. Most websites look like that. They end up like a little strip down the middle with a load of white space. The screenshot was at 16:9 too. On the ultrawide curved ones it looks even worse.
-
With 2 separate monitors you can angle them in a "V" shape more than a curved monitor. As for just one large widescreen monitor I find myself turning my head too much from left to right. Yeah, for gaming widescreen is fine but I'm talking about productivity and office work, related use. Yeah, most websites and applications aren't scaled properly for monitors over 1080p and end up looking something like this: Using software to simulate 4:3 monitors wouldn't really work for me personally since I use different computers on different networks regularly. Therefore, I don't want to get used to a certain layout, design, theme, etc. My computer at home normally has Chrome on one monitor the other one I usually switch between CCTV view and TV such as BBC News or YouTube videos long enough to make it worth moving it there. I have my monitors physically set up unusually. I have one monitor on the desk and the other is above on the wall. I still have it so that the pointer switches to the other one from the right of the main monitor. I have tried where it went from the top of the main monitor but I was already used to the old way so never changed it. Another thing I prefer about 2 separate monitors is that if one monitor fails I've got a backup so I'm not temporarily without a computer.
-
Yeah, what I ended up doing was pulling the two applications together into the middle so I didn't have to keep moving my head. Most applications and websites look silly with 1440p too, they just aren't designed for such as high resolution.
-
My home computer setup has two 24" 1920 x 1080 monitors and I think they are perfect for my needs. I have used larger monitors but never really liked them that much. The 3440 x 1440 34" monitors are just too large in my opinion. Websites usually end up like a little strip down the middle and multitasking is harder compared to when you have 2 monitors. Does anyone else use curved monitors / 1440p+ monitors and what is your opinion on them?
-
I think C. Probably wanted someone to say "no it's been slow lately" or something then offer his "support".
-
Any good and cheap hard drive repair companies?
Protec replied to cheaptonersucks's topic in Hardware
How about a Freddo? They get given to staff sometime when they are leftover from the class- 25 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- data recovery
- faulty hard drive
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Any good and cheap hard drive repair companies?
Protec replied to cheaptonersucks's topic in Hardware
If I was in that situation, I'd just say the cost of data recovery service is not viable or a productive use of the IT budget. Of course, I don't know what data is on that drive. If it's all school / work related, I can't imagine it being that important if it's just PowerPoints and stuff like that. If it's personal data then I certainly wouldn't be paying thousands for data recovery, unfortunately. Of course, if it's something simple like a dodgy port which can be wiggled into life and the data extracted, then I'd do that no bother but for drives requiring costly data recovery... it's a no from me!- 25 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- data recovery
- faulty hard drive
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
