Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi folks,

 

I'm getting some problems with DPM 2010 backing up our Hyper-V VMs.

 

This seems to have been triggered by the recent addition of a few more VMs, to ensure that everything is covered.

 

I get the following example error with DPM, and typically 4 servers will fail to backup:

 

Description: Recovery point creation jobs for Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Saved State\VMServer on VMServer Resources.HyperV.domain.local have been failing. The number of failed recovery point creation jobs = 1.

If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on the Error Details to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation failed. (ID 3114)

Failed to prepare a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) for backup as another backup using the same CSV is in progress. (ID 32612 Details: Back up is in progress. Please wait for backup completion before trying this operation again (0x8007173D))

More information

Recommended action: If you are using software VSS providers, we recommend that you use hardware providers. For more information go to []Search Microsoft.com .

If hardware VSS provider is already installed on the node, check the status of CSVs used by this virtual machine from the Cluster Administration Console and re-enable direct I/O for the CSV. Then retry the operation.

 

As per the error, and searching around, it seems I first need to ensure I have hardware provided drivers for our SAN. Although I can't seem to find a way of determining that. Anyone know how, or an alternate way of getting past this error?

 

TIA

Posted
Presumably some of the new servers are clustered? I tried backing up clustered servers some time ago with DPM and ran into problems very similar to this. Unless the SAN you are using supports a hardware VSS writer then you have to heavily modify the config of DPM using scripts. It looked like far more trouble than it was worth and I actually de-clustered the servers (it was more of an experiment clustering, not something that I actually needed).
  • Thanks 1
Posted

Using DPM2012 here, but have you checked:

 

- that the DPM Server can see the cluster (browse to C:\ClusterStorage on a Hyper-V Node) and access the resources?

- servers to be backed up have the DPM agent installed (and service running)?

- servers to be backed up have Windows Server Backup features installed?

 

Does appear to be a Windows Cluster configuration / permission error though.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
Presumably some of the new servers are clustered? I tried backing up clustered servers some time ago with DPM and ran into problems very similar to this. Unless the SAN you are using supports a hardware VSS writer then you have to heavily modify the config of DPM using scripts. It looked like far more trouble than it was worth and I actually de-clustered the servers (it was more of an experiment clustering, not something that I actually needed).

Yes, all the servers are on a cluster. DPM was running without issue until it seems these additional servers were added - DPM had previously been packing up other servers on the cluster, so it's almost as if it has become overloaded.

Using DPM2012 here, but have you checked:

 

- that the DPM Server can see the cluster (browse to C:\ClusterStorage on a Hyper-V Node) and access the resources?

- servers to be backed up have the DPM agent installed (and service running)?

- servers to be backed up have Windows Server Backup features installed?

 

Does appear to be a Windows Cluster configuration / permission error though.

I'm certain the DPM can see the cluster, because it's backing up the bulk of the servers on the cluster without issue (it's only used to backup VMs on the cluster).

 

They definitely have the agent installed and running because it seems that when the failed task is retried it works (at least as far as I can tell via DPM!).

Posted
It may be worth trying to upgrade to DPM2012 if you can't find a fix. It's available now and you can do an in-place upgrade from 10 to 12. Just bear in mind that it tends to mean an agent upgrade on all servers and a full consistency check on everything before you are back to normal.
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
Would DPM 2012 play OK with a 2010 install of Hyper-V?

 

Sorry didn't realise you had posted again on this thread. Not sure what you mean by that exactly?

Posted
We have both Hyper-V and DPM from SC 2010, so just to check whether DPM from SC 2012 won't cause a compatibility issue, or whether we need to upgrade the lot?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...