jabellamy Posted May 10, 2012 Posted May 10, 2012 Hello Everyone. A little cheeky, but by any chance does anyone have any info or advice on creating profiles for Windows 7? We currently have mandatory profiles (Admin Staff, Teaching Staff & Students), but of course we can’t use them with Windows 7. Is there anyway of converting them to V2 profiles so we can use them? I’m asking you as I’m sure that some of you will have already taken the leap to 7 from XP. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
DaveyPitch Posted May 10, 2012 Posted May 10, 2012 No help in converting them I'm afraid, when we switched to Win 7 last summer I simply re-created the mandatory profiles we use (which is only for students here, the staff get roaming profiles). It only took a couple of hours (if that) and I had the safety of knowing everything was fine with Win 7, so perhaps it's worth considering that rather than converting them?
rslulz Posted May 10, 2012 Posted May 10, 2012 I assume you're talking about local profiles, and not domain accounts if so use the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard would be my suggestion. I've attached a link for your continence I hope this helps: Windows Easy Transfer - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
3s-gtech Posted May 10, 2012 Posted May 10, 2012 Don't bother trying to get XP profiles working on 7, the differences are numerous. Just create a separate new one, using one of the methods outlined here (sysprep, Default User account, copied single user account). There are some good guides about.
rslulz Posted May 10, 2012 Posted May 10, 2012 Don't bother trying to get XP profiles working on 7, the differences are numerous. Just create a separate new one, using one of the methods outlined here (sysprep, Default User account, copied single user account). There are some good guides about. Have you had lots of issues with xp profiles on 7 I've done a few migrations, and didn't have too much trouble.
3s-gtech Posted May 10, 2012 Posted May 10, 2012 None, because I tried it once without doing making a separate profile for 7, and it didn't work. So I just created a new one from a test user and copied the ntuser.dat across to a .man. With the number of entries in the profile, it didn't make sense from a time perspective to migrate it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now