Gongalong Posted February 1, 2012 Posted February 1, 2012 Hi folks, I have altered a proxy address for IE using the Everyone GPO. The strange thing is that it is processing for some PCs, yet other PCs still have the old settings. I've spotted that the Default Domain Policy is 1st in link order, followed by Everyone. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting why it is not processing? Should I add the change to the Default Domain Policy as well, only put it there, move the link order to start with Everyone, or something else? (I don't know how priority is dealt with in GPOs) TIA
jamesbrown Posted February 1, 2012 Posted February 1, 2012 Add proxy settings to the Default Domain Policy and see how that goes. 1
jamesbrown Posted February 1, 2012 Posted February 1, 2012 Just looked at our's and we only have it in Default Domain Policy... 1
Gongalong Posted February 1, 2012 Author Posted February 1, 2012 Thanks, will try that. I'm not sure if the Everyone policy had been there from the start as a default policy, or added by the previous manager...
sonofsanta Posted February 1, 2012 Posted February 1, 2012 Have you run rsop.msc on an affected computer? It will show you what settings you're getting and what GPO it is getting them from. gpresult run at the command line will also show you what GPOs are applying (although not the settings therein). 1
Gongalong Posted February 1, 2012 Author Posted February 1, 2012 What a useful command! (RSOP.MSC that is) The problem is that the student PCs are all restricted with Ranger, so I cannot run anything.
sonofsanta Posted February 1, 2012 Posted February 1, 2012 What a useful command! (RSOP.MSC that is) The problem is that the student PCs are all restricted with Ranger, so I cannot run anything. You can get it to run against a certain login, so whilst logged on as administrator on your machine, you can give it the computer name and username combination that you're seeing the problem with. See sections 2 & 3 here (running it as a snap in and the following section) 1
LeMarchand Posted February 1, 2012 Posted February 1, 2012 What a useful command! (RSOP.MSC that is) The problem is that the student PCs are all restricted with Ranger, so I cannot run anything. Could it be one of the many places in Ranger where you can set the proxy that is causing the problem? 1
Gongalong Posted February 1, 2012 Author Posted February 1, 2012 Could it be one of the many places in Ranger where you can set the proxy that is causing the problem? Never say never, but the place where the proxy is set (Ranger Administrator) is disabled. As this is only affecting Student logins I did wonder for a second whether it needed to be in the GPO for the Students OU (I still don't have a great handle on which GPO objects run in which order and/or which take precedence). Having done this though it has made no effect. So the proxy is set in Everyone, Default Domain Policy, and the Students GPO, but still is not being effected. I have to leave now, but tomorrow I will test a PC with Ranger removed, just to ensure Ranger isn't causing this. With Ranger removed I should be able to run RSOP.MSC as well and get a handle on what's running. Thanks all for the help so far. Much appreciated!
sonofsanta Posted February 1, 2012 Posted February 1, 2012 Never say never, but the place where the proxy is set (Ranger Administrator) is disabled. As this is only affecting Student logins I did wonder for a second whether it needed to be in the GPO for the Students OU (I still don't have a great handle on which GPO objects run in which order and/or which take precedence). Having done this though it has made no effect. So the proxy is set in Everyone, Default Domain Policy, and the Students GPO, but still is not being effected. I have to leave now, but tomorrow I will test a PC with Ranger removed, just to ensure Ranger isn't causing this. With Ranger removed I should be able to run RSOP.MSC as well and get a handle on what's running. Thanks all for the help so far. Much appreciated! You can check the order just by looking in your GP Management Console - click on the OU in question and one of the tabs will show you the order they are applied in, with GPOs at the bottom (highest number) being applied first and GPOs at the top (lowest number) applying last and therefore overwriting any settings previously applied by another GPO. Daft question, but you've not got user configuration disabled on the relevant GPOs have you? 1
Gongalong Posted February 2, 2012 Author Posted February 2, 2012 The problem has been resolved. It was Ranger. There was a confusing checkbox that looked like it needed to be ticked to force the proxy to be used. Despite this not being ticked the proxy was *still* being used. You can check the order just by looking in your GP Management Console - click on the OU in question and one of the tabs will show you the order they are applied in, with GPOs at the bottom (highest number) being applied first and GPOs at the top (lowest number) applying last and therefore overwriting any settings previously applied by another GPO. Ah yes, I spotted this. But say I have conflicting policies in the Default Domain Policy versus a policy within an OU. Which one wins? Is the OU policy processed last? Daft question, but you've not got user configuration disabled on the relevant GPOs have you? How would I check that?
sonofsanta Posted February 2, 2012 Posted February 2, 2012 (edited) But say I have conflicting policies in the Default Domain Policy versus a policy within an OU. Which one wins? Is the OU policy processed last? In the Group Policy Management Console, expand the tree to find the OU for the object you're troubleshooting (e.g. Main Building >> Library if it's a library PC, or however your AD is configured). Click on that OU and then on the Group Policy Inheritance tab. You'll get a long list there of all the GPOs applying to that OU (and therefore the objects inside). Objects at the bottom of the list (with the higher precedence number e.g. 47) are applied first, and items at the top (with the lowest number i.e. 1) are applied last and therefore overwrite any earlier policies that defined the same setting. If you look at any OU you'll see that it goes from general to specific, so your Default Domain Policy is applied first and is therefore the weakest place to define a setting. Any policies defined on that OU specifically will have the highest precedence, apply last and are therefore the strongest place to define a setting. If it helps, it's similar to the way that CSS applies rules. You can alter the order somewhat through a combination of targeting GPOs at the right OU level, and using the Linked Group Policy Objects tab (in the same place you're already looking at) to re-order the GPOs applying to that OU specifically. How would I check that? Click the GPO (not the OU like before) and check the Details tab; there's a drop down there for GPO Status that has 4 options - enabled and disabled, and two others that disable one half of the GPO. So if you have a GPO that only applies to computer settings, you should disable the User Configuration Settings and it speeds up the GP processing time at login. HTH! Edited February 2, 2012 by sonofsanta spleling 1
Gongalong Posted February 3, 2012 Author Posted February 3, 2012 Thanks! Very helpful. Now to try and remember it
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now