webman Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 I'd recommend a filtering proxy server such as IPCop or Smoothwall and either run it transparently (as a default gateway) or point all your clients to it via GPO or similar.
mac_shinobi Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 Just to help you a bit as well : http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=27930
ctbjs Posted May 4, 2007 Posted May 4, 2007 I'm not sure this is what he is looking for really, I may be wrong. Is it to try and prevent users from using the google plugin version of MSN Messenger?
spc-rocket Posted May 4, 2007 Posted May 4, 2007 Google chat can be blocked at your proxy server we have an ISA 2004 server and on the hosts file on the isa server we use the following: chatenabled.mail.google.com 127.0.0.1 You will find that chat is now disabled because it using the loopback interface of the proxy server and will use DNS if it can't find it on the host file. This also disables the chat facility within google mail as well. Google mail should work fine but chat will be disabled. It should work for any proxy server, just need to make it look to the local loopback or any other ip address and not the ip address of the proper google chat servers. Google talk is interesting as it uses random UDP ports so that may be tricky, again with isa server it can be blocked by looking at the signature or HTTP header. Ash.
westbourne Posted May 5, 2007 Author Posted May 5, 2007 I'm not sure this is what he is looking for really, I may be wrong. Is it to try and prevent users from using the google plugin version of MSN Messenger? Yes mate, I need to block this. Recommend anything?
Edu-IT Posted May 16, 2011 Posted May 16, 2011 Just to clarify, this is to block the chat that there is in Gmail?
JJonas Posted May 16, 2011 Posted May 16, 2011 chatenabled.mail.google.com 127.0.0.1 That was the one I blocked
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now