Dos_Box Posted April 8, 2007 Posted April 8, 2007 I currently have an old Athlon XP 3200, ATX motherboard, 2 GB DD400 RAM, a 250GB HD, TV tuner card and a dammed good sound card spare. What I need is to replace my current media PC (an old Shuttle whose PSU is getting louder by the day). With a budget of £200 I need a media PC case, a silent CPU cooler and a quiet (silent if poss) PSU. I've had a good look around, but if anyone has any recommendations it would be good to get them.
Ric_ Posted April 9, 2007 Posted April 9, 2007 You might struggle to find a media-pc case for an ATX mobo... if the mobo is a micro-ATX on the otherhand... http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/112657
Dos_Box Posted April 9, 2007 Author Posted April 9, 2007 I was looking at a decent micro atx board today. I may just do that.
webman Posted April 9, 2007 Posted April 9, 2007 Have you thought about going Mini-ITX? There are several fanless boards and PSUs. LinITX ITX Warehouse Mini-ITX
ICTNUT Posted April 9, 2007 Posted April 9, 2007 I use a couple of LinITX boxes for Net monitoring and SPAM control, Linux of course as Windows would kill it. But they work great especially the new ones with 3 10/100/1000 NICs builtin.
john Posted April 9, 2007 Posted April 9, 2007 I have built a HTPC using the following: http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=10532&category_id=449&manufacturer_id=0 Costs a few quid but was a very nice case
SpuffMonkey Posted April 9, 2007 Posted April 9, 2007 You might struggle to find a media-pc case for an ATX mobo... if the mobo is a micro-ATX on the otherhand... http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/112657 Right supplier - but I prefer this http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119572/rb/26794046476 My techie has just got one and is very pleased - pretty silent in operation and a good price for case and mobo combined. Thinking of getting one myself - but its quite a deep case and it won't fit on my TV stand (well old wooden 78rpm record player cabinet to be more accurate...)
alonebfg Posted April 9, 2007 Posted April 9, 2007 i was reading my Micromart the other day (one of the best pc mags i have ever read) It covered this i will have a look back in the old issue and see if i can see it.
Dos_Box Posted April 10, 2007 Author Posted April 10, 2007 You might struggle to find a media-pc case for an ATX mobo... if the mobo is a micro-ATX on the otherhand... http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/112657 Right supplier - but I prefer this http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119572/rb/26794046476 My techie has just got one and is very pleased - pretty silent in operation and a good price for case and mobo combined. Thinking of getting one myself - but its quite a deep case and it won't fit on my TV stand (well old wooden 78rpm record player cabinet to be more accurate...) Elonex went belly up a little while back. They were also producing some pretty well received media PCs. This must be some end of line kit. I shall seriously look at this. Many thanks
Ric_ Posted April 10, 2007 Posted April 10, 2007 @Dos_Box: Only problem that I can see with that Elonex system is that it has only one PCI slot (and potentially little space inside) - obviously you would be throwing the modem at the nearest annoying person the first chance you got. You would need a dual-tuner TV card or some kind of external gubbins to be able to watch and record TV at the same time.
ChrisH Posted April 10, 2007 Posted April 10, 2007 Ric would only be interested as well if it had a high mirror sheen finish and it could also close his blinds/curtains as well
webman Posted April 10, 2007 Posted April 10, 2007 and it could also close his blinds/curtains as well Well, if he has an X10 home automation system...
Ric_ Posted April 10, 2007 Posted April 10, 2007 No he's got CBUS apparently lazy git that he is . Only for the lights... the Comfort alarm that arrived last week (combined with the Convergent Living Sidekick) will do all the clever stuff The new Comfort interface for MCE should be interesting too
Dos_Box Posted April 10, 2007 Author Posted April 10, 2007 @Dos_Box: Only problem that I can see with that Elonex system is that it has only one PCI slot (and potentially little space inside) - obviously you would be throwing the modem at the nearest annoying person the first chance you got. You would need a dual-tuner TV card or some kind of external gubbins to be able to watch and record TV at the same time. Plenty of space. I already have a PC tuner card etc. http://artisan.go.dyndns.org/
Norphy Posted April 10, 2007 Posted April 10, 2007 How about one of these? A bit more modern and Asus aren't going belly up any time soon
Norphy Posted April 11, 2007 Posted April 11, 2007 No, it's a small form factor barebones which can be aligned either way.
Dos_Box Posted April 15, 2007 Author Posted April 15, 2007 Right, thanks for your help. I plumped for the Elonex delux bare bones case, and what a doozy it is too http://www.thehargreaves.plus.com/artisan/images/TID772_pic2.jpg http://www.thehargreaves.plus.com/artisan/images/TID772_pic3.jpg The case is not branded when you receive it, so there is no Elonex badge. The motherboard is in place (an Intel 775 form FIC) but it only takes 90nm core chips such as older P4s and Celerons. I plumped for a Celeron as Scan sold out of P4s as I got there and the Celeron was only £26. You have to provide your own PCI-E graphics card (a GeForce 7100 from Scan complete with a low profile backplane kit for £3), HD (Samsung ultra quiet PC Pro A-lister), DVD (Lite-On) and tuner card (a Pinnacle 530i I already owned), but boy, what a chassis. Cheap, quiet and everything thrown in. GB LAN, HD audio, Firewire and the front LED display ties in with MCE a treat to display what is being recorded, displayed etc. IR sensors area also built into the front panel and work with the MCE remote seamlessly. This case is an utter bargain and should be snapped up by anyone looking to create a media PC on the cheap with top notch looks. You would pay this price for a cheap HTPC case anyway. Thanks for the recommendations guys, I am a very happy teddy bear.
SpuffMonkey Posted April 15, 2007 Posted April 15, 2007 Glad to be of service - see they've dropped in price this weekend too - so I'll deffo have to get one now - trouble is - I've got a Kiss 558 - which was playing up terribly - but its all started working again - so have to comvince my better half...
john Posted April 15, 2007 Posted April 15, 2007 I must admit its a good looking box, but I've just bought a HD TV so I think I am going to have to miss out. But I do have a shuttle setup with MCE on it so its not as if i'm without but looks a good rig.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now