Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Since updating computers to WinXP Pro, users can no longer create custom borders in Publisher.

They get a message to say that Publisher cannot open the file they have chosen.

The same images can be imported into a Publisher document with no trouble at all. I presume this is a permissions issue but I have looked around and cannot find anything obvious.

Any Ideas? :?

Posted
Publisher 2000 really isn't good on XP. Can you not upgrade Witch? You cannot use memory sticks / USB storage with it, we had loads of issues with picture imports, borders, you name it we had them.
Posted

Publisher 2000

XP Pro SP2

 

Upgrading is not an option as the school is running a deficit budget and cannot even afford to pay me for more than 8 hours a week.

So, John, are you saying that you had the same problems?

Posted

Hi guys

 

We've been using Office 2000 Pro [i.e. with Publisher] here for years on XP Pro.... can't think of any problems I've had to date.

 

Don't know of anyone trying that.... just given it a whirl myself [although I'm not logged in as a normal user at the moment] and the only message I got was that the picture was too complex to use hehe

 

It could well be permissions, especially if u are juggling settings for 98 clients and NT-based clients.

 

Wanna give us a step-by-step of what actions you are taking? any screen shots of the message?

 

Have you got any Office policies in place in AD Group Policy that may be affecting it?

 

Cheers

Nath.

Posted

Nothing up with my printer for def.

 

As for actions: just choosing a simple pic to make into a custom border (the recycling logo started all this) and getting a "Publisher cannot open the file" message

Do have 98 and XP clients on a Win2000 server. Haven't touched anything on the server and can't see anything odd - tell me where you would look and I will look again

Ta

Posted

Does it happen on both the 98 clients and the XP clients, or just the XP clients?

 

IF its just the xp clients AND you have installed Office to the local machine, then its likely permissions and/or group policy's that could be the cause...

 

...gonna log into one here with my pupil test user to see what happens.

 

Nath.

Posted
Witch I cannot remember the exact errors, but we had issues with most parts of it really, hence the upgrade to Publisher 2003 instead.
Posted

Only happens on XP and I cannot see anything weird on permissions.

PLEASE can someone tell me where to look as I have obviously missed something!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...