witch Posted November 30, 2010 Posted November 30, 2010 This is SO embarassing I have been sorting out someone's laptop and I had to reload the OS. I was talking to her about getting Windows 7 when she said: 'No, I am quite happy with Vista' and wants me to put it back on the machine. I have the licence details and code but she has lost the recovery discs. Does anyone have a Vista disc I can borrow/keep? I can't believe I am going to put Vista on a machine....
FN-GM Posted November 30, 2010 Posted November 30, 2010 What type of laptop is it? Maybe the machine has a recovery partition? Also what version of Vista do you need? I have a couple of discs knocking around.
EduTech Posted November 30, 2010 Posted November 30, 2010 I have a couple of disks at hand, mainly Business Edition to be honest for OEM Product Keys if it's any help James.
witch Posted December 1, 2010 Author Posted December 1, 2010 I have no idea of the version - the hard disk on the machine has been reformatted so there arent any partitions or anything any more. It is an Advent 5611 I think Yes, I wiped the disk without checking what OS she wanted - but it never occured to me that she would want to keep Vista! I presume it was Vista Home? but does it matter? OEM AFAIK
FN-GM Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 It does matter. For example a Vista Home Basic serial wont work with a Vista Home Premium install. You can see what version of visa it use by looking at the licence sticker on the bottom of the machine. It will tell you what edition the serial is for.
Hightower Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 Yes, only certain keys will work with each addition, so if you have a Home Edition OEM CD Key, you won't be able to enter that successfully into a Business Edition install. It should tell you on the M$ sticker what version you require.
witch Posted December 1, 2010 Author Posted December 1, 2010 Ah of course. It is at home but I will look ASAP. I think it is Home Premium - I wonder if anyone would have that? (maybe used as a coaster or something )
FN-GM Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 Ah of course. It is at home but I will look ASAP. I think it is Home Premium - I wonder if anyone would have that? (maybe used as a coaster or something ) I think i might have it. I will have a look for it.
Hightower Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 I know what I would do in this situation, but we're not allowed to say it.
ICT_GUY Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 Try the "No I am afraid you are wrong, vista sucks you are having windows 7 or Ubuntu.
chazzy2501 Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 I have NEVER and would never use Bittorrent to download an OEM install disc so I could use my legitimate CD key that came with a PC.
Hightower Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 I have NEVER and would never use Bittorrent to download an OEM install disc so I could use my legitimate CD key that came with a PC. Who suggested that then?
FN-GM Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 I have NEVER and would never use Bittorrent to download an OEM install disc so I could use my legitimate CD key that came with a PC. Actually i didnt think it was illegal as you are using your own key
SYNACK Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 Vista SP2 is fine and actually faster on some PCs than 7, all the Windows 7 is epic Vista is bad stuff is rubbish given how close they are in functionality in almost all regards. I'd rather have a fully patched Vista system than a Windows Dinosaur edition (XP) box.
Guest Guest Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 Actually i didnt think it was illegal as you are using your own key Thats my understanding of M$ licencing. After all you can download Server 2008 from their website and pop in your own serial.
SYNACK Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 Thats my understanding of M$ licencing. After all you can download Server 2008 from their website and pop in your own serial. Primary issue is if you get a pre-root-kitted copy from your download. It is a pain to get an up-to-date dvd though, had to redo a bunch of staff laptops that came off lease with Vista SP1 then upgrade to SP2 after for the image (COAs were Vista). Much better to just use an SP2 disk if you can. The Vista disks are actually quite tollerent and a retail one will let you install from Home Basic all the way up to Pro from the same disk. Enterprise is a seporte disk though.
Guest Guest Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 Primary issue is if you get a pre-root-kitted copy from your download. It is a pain to get an up-to-date dvd though, had to redo a bunch of staff laptops that came off lease with Vista SP1 then upgrade to SP2 after for the image (COAs were Vista). Much better to just use an SP2 disk if you can. The Vista disks are actually quite tollerent and a retail one will let you install from Home Basic all the way up to Pro from the same disk. Enterprise is a seporte disk though. Oh of course. I'll alway varify the disc before installing. For example MSDN downloads were down so I got the CRC from the site and varified my one that way.
difinity Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 I was under the impression any retail or OEM Vista disc contained all versions except for enterprise. Depending on what key you put in, depended on what version was installed. You needed either 32bit or 64 bit disc though.
witch Posted December 1, 2010 Author Posted December 1, 2010 Woah.... I have tried the 'Vista is pants' approach and will try again...
FN-GM Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 I was under the impression any retail or OEM Vista disc contained all versions except for enterprise. Depending on what key you put in, depended on what version was installed. You needed either 32bit or 64 bit disc though. ah your right! Im still looking for mine, i cant find it
witch Posted December 1, 2010 Author Posted December 1, 2010 Thanks to a kind edugeek I now have an iso to use with my home premium key.I dont know if he wants to remain anonymous! If you dont, reply to this then I can thank you
mattx Posted December 1, 2010 Posted December 1, 2010 No need to thank me - just helping out when I can. 1
somabc Posted December 3, 2010 Posted December 3, 2010 Actually i didnt think it was illegal as you are using your own key It is illegal as you are not only downloading it, you are uploading it to other people.
witch Posted December 3, 2010 Author Posted December 3, 2010 *sigh* vista ultimate didnt work - well it looked like it had but IE and firefox fell over and the antivirus did as well. Couldn't get the drivers in that it still needed and then it just fell over. I just feel that this laptop can be mended. Don't know what to try now. I don't have an XP disc with the sata drivers on it and I have had no luck trying to slipstream them or put them on during installation. The Advent 5611 doesnt have the option to set the drive to IDE so that's a no go. Anyone any ideas?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now