Marci Posted November 22, 2010 Posted November 22, 2010 Righty - leave it with me and I'll see if I can raise some further assistance!
Marci Posted November 24, 2010 Posted November 24, 2010 Paul - can you have a look at a student user record within your mdl_user table and report back what mnethostid your users are being assigned please?? (See screenshot of my user table) http://www.horbury.wakefield.sch.uk/img/caps/skell-screencap.jpg
skell Posted November 24, 2010 Author Posted November 24, 2010 Hi Marc The value for every user is 1.
Marci Posted November 26, 2010 Posted November 26, 2010 Can you PM me a copy and paste of the contents of your config-dist.php please? Obv remove usernames and passwords.
Marci Posted December 3, 2010 Posted December 3, 2010 OK - am beginning to suspect the issue lies in your OU Containers for staff and students within the various config files. How to resolve this am not sure, unless you can get me a screencap of your AD Tree expanded down to the various user folders just so I can confirm they're definitely set correctly. Those being incorrect are about the only thing we can come up with for a cause...
Marci Posted June 21, 2011 Posted June 21, 2011 Made a few tweaks to this today to allow vertical option groups where CrsYear is null in the Facility teachinggroups table... If you grab latest from moodle.org, just overwrite tgAJAJ.php, modAJAJ.php, and yearAJAJ.php in your Ajax folder with the ones from the archive. Any teaching group where CrsYear is null in Facility will then show up in the teaching groups tree under year 0 when adding groups to courses.
skell Posted June 22, 2011 Author Posted June 22, 2011 Hi Marc Does this block works with Moodle 2.x?
john Posted June 22, 2011 Posted June 22, 2011 Is it possible to just use the class group import for linking students to courses rather than everything with it?
john Posted June 22, 2011 Posted June 22, 2011 The Moodle block has 3 features as i see it, one is putting students in Moodle, another is putting Parent Accounts in Moodle via the details in Facility and the other is allowing you to assign students to your course within Moodle from your Serco Teaching Group. I have no desire for Parents to go in at present as and don't have any need for the Moodle / Serco block to handle my student accounts either as the LDAP plug-in works perfect well with our AD set-up, but allowing staff to assign students to the Moodle courses to save them saying oh how do I do that looks a good options for me
Marci Posted June 22, 2011 Posted June 22, 2011 (edited) Righty - no need to use the parent data bit. That can be ignored and only used if you so wish. Unfortunately, you do need to use the Student Transfer option as this then links the relevant ID fields between user accounts in Moodle, users in Facility, and users in AD... and keeps the data sync'd, otherwise there is no cross reference between the members of teachinggroups in facility and your users in Moodle. LDAP plugin works pefectly for anyone's AD setup, but it doesn't link the Moodle Users IDs to Facility Users. (That said, if you manually ensure that the students' admin number from facility is in the idnumber field in mdl-user table, then it MAY work... but no guarantees) Edited June 22, 2011 by Marci 1
rcw Posted December 7, 2011 Posted December 7, 2011 Hi their been trying to get the block working over the last week not sure if i am just getting it total wrong. I am running Windows 2008 r2 server SQl 2008 IIS PHP 5.3.8 non tread safe Moodle 1.9.15+ build 20111201 installed the latest version on the facility to moodle block creates tables When i run student import I get Initialising connections... Attempting to connect to Facility database CMIS_ADMIN Connection to Facility database successful. Student transfer progress Transferring BDN - bdn name: year 7 Attempting to connect to LDAP server LDAP connection OK. Connected to LDAP in active directory mode LDAP bind successful. Results returned=126 Attempting transfer of student: 11676 Lauren Aldridge - login = 11aldlau - last logged in = 2011-12-01 011676 Transfer type = INSERT Transfer completed successfully. Attempting transfer of student: 11695 Katy Allsworth - login = 11allkat - last logged in = 2011-12-06 011695 Transfer type = INSERT Transfer completed successfully. But when i go to browes list of user their are no entres for students also when i look at the sql mbl_user table their are no student entres, and no entres in mdl_f2m_group_history, mbl_f2m_group_linker Help Please
Marci Posted December 16, 2011 Posted December 16, 2011 Not sure. If data isn't getting written to SQL, check your SQL server logs for any error messages... the block doesn't use anything out of the ordinary, just runs a regular INSERT query, and gets all the details for the tables etc directly from your main moodle config. Unfortunately I've never run it on Windows-based hosting myself to be able to advise in any detail.
Marci Posted January 17, 2012 Posted January 17, 2012 (edited) Quick update on this block... The rewrites are going well, and I'm just left with sorting the JavaScript for the 'Add/Remove Teaching Group' functionality, then I should be able to release it back into the wild. It'll be 2.2+ compatible once I'm done. Apols for the long period of silence... Change of employer meant it got back-burnered. Fortunately it's now been made a top priority job with my new employer. Edited January 17, 2012 by Marci 1
philwaud Posted January 17, 2012 Posted January 17, 2012 Quick update on this block... The rewrites are going well, and I'm just left with sorting the JavaScript for the 'Add/Remove Teaching Group' functionality, then I should be able to release it back into the wild. It'll be 2.2+ compatible once I'm done. Apols for the long period of silence... Change of employer meant it got back-burnered. Fortunately it's now been made a top priority job with my new employer. Great news!
nutso Posted January 23, 2012 Posted January 23, 2012 That's great news that it is being updated! Can I ask is this just for Facility to Moodle, or is the Parent View block going to get the Moodle 2 treatment too?
Marci Posted January 23, 2012 Posted January 23, 2012 Officially, just fac-2-moodle, as that's the only one I'm responsible for, but unofficially I'll be rewriting the mis block (parental data) block also as we need it! Strictly speaking, fac-2-moodle is now done... However, the groups bit doesn't function as it did... Groups are successfully created and added to the course, but the users within that group aren't enrolled on the course - this is due to changes within M2 where they now expect us to use the cohorts feature. Am trying to work out best direction to go from here! Cohorts isn't satisfactory as they can only be added / updated by admin/managers rather than teachers. See Groups FAQ - MoodleDocs - documentation for the cohorts feature is lacking.
Marci Posted January 23, 2012 Posted January 23, 2012 (edited) I suspect the solution will be for the block to also create KS2, 3, 4, & 5 cohorts, automatically populated, with option to create Yr7 thru 13 instead via config.php and have it auto create matching categories which each cohort is auto-enrolled to... THEN the groups etc will all work as intended on the courses within those categories. Will mean users would have to restructure their courses by Keystage or Yeargroup. Any thoughts or suggestions would be more than welcome at this point. Anyone wishing to test the block as it stands, drop me a line. I'm happy to work with a few establishments to get this sorted... however anyone doingso should be fully versed in either the use of M2.x as intended by Moodle, or in the inner workings of it (PHP / backend). If you're not within those brackets, then better to wait til we've got this issue sorted first. Edited January 23, 2012 by Marci
nutso Posted January 24, 2012 Posted January 24, 2012 I'm no expert so I don't think I'll be able to help I'm afraid. I'm not familiar with the M2 cohorts setup either but I'm just thinking that wouldn't it be easier to run with the year group option and forget about key stage? The reason being it might make things easier when it comes to the end of the year process. With key stage, you'd have to move those going up a stage out of their current group and in to the next group up. With year group wouldn't it just be a case of renaming the group to change the number as the membership will stay the same? Plus it can't be that much more effort to add a few year groups to a course instead of one year group, and would give more flexibility. Unless I'm misunderstanding completely which is entirely possible.
Marci Posted January 24, 2012 Posted January 24, 2012 It'll just be an option in config.php to allow folks to choose for themselves. $ftm_cfg['cohort_create']=true; $ftm_cfg['cohort_type']='KS'; //or 'YG' for yeargroup The student transfer would auto progress students up thru the yeargroups and auto update the groupings, so each summer when you run the End of Year Process, students will be moved from Yr7 cohort on to Yr8 cohort, and therefore be auto-enrolled to all courses within the Yr8 Category... and so on for each Cohort. In short, it'd be automated entirely... all Yr8 students are enrolled to all Yr8 courses for instance, and then grouped according to facility teaching group within that individual course.
Marci Posted January 25, 2012 Posted January 25, 2012 OK... sorry... ignore the past 3 posts about groups not working as expected etc. Issue is now resolved, and everything now functioning as expected / intended. (translation: I was being a dumb-ass).
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now