Jobos Posted September 27, 2010 Posted September 27, 2010 The school needs to collect parent's email and mobile numbers for the Parents 2 Teacher service. Apart from parents writing it down on paper and handing it in is there an online service that I could use? I suppose I could write a simple webpage that would achieve this but an online service would be easier.
powdarrmonkey Posted September 27, 2010 Posted September 27, 2010 I suppose I could write a simple webpage that would achieve this We did this.
Jobos Posted September 28, 2010 Author Posted September 28, 2010 So did you setup a form that posted to another page which then saved to a database?
powdarrmonkey Posted September 28, 2010 Posted September 28, 2010 Yes, although we dumped it into a CSV and pulled it down from time to time for manual checking and processing.
Sylv3r Posted September 30, 2010 Posted September 30, 2010 You could always use a google form to do this I suppose.
powdarrmonkey Posted October 1, 2010 Posted October 1, 2010 But you must also consider your data protection responsibilities. You are collecting personal and identifiable data, so you must take every step to protect it.
Hightower Posted October 1, 2010 Posted October 1, 2010 I would have thought this was an office job rather than IT.
Jobos Posted October 4, 2010 Author Posted October 4, 2010 I would have thought this was an office job rather than IT. That's right it is, but the ladies in the office know even less about aspx code than I do!
Simcfc73 Posted October 4, 2010 Posted October 4, 2010 We were in this same boat, we sent letters out to parents at the end of last year and have a simple form on the website for them to fill in. After all this we are up to the stage of actually phoning parents up and getting their emails verbally.... total pain in the backside.
powdarrmonkey Posted October 5, 2010 Posted October 5, 2010 I would have thought this was an office job rather than IT. It's our job to enable and empower the office to do the actual collecting in the most efficient manner with the tools and skills we possess.
Hightower Posted October 5, 2010 Posted October 5, 2010 It's our job to enable and empower the office to do the actual collecting in the most efficient manner with the tools and skills we possess. I understand that, but where is the line drawn? Writing a script to help them? Fine, if that's what they want. But researching what is ultimately a job for the office?
powdarrmonkey Posted October 5, 2010 Posted October 5, 2010 I understand that, but where is the line drawn? Writing a script to help them? Fine, if that's what they want. But researching what is ultimately a job for the office? My emphasis (actually, my words anyway...): with the tools and skills we possess. Call me old-fashioned, but I thought EduGeek was "the IT professionals' life-line". Bit odd that someone can't ask a straightforward question without being told they're putting too much effort into helping their users...
NikChillin Posted October 5, 2010 Posted October 5, 2010 I would have thought this was an office job rather than IT. My thoughts are that we are here to provide a service and the other staff/pupils are our customers, if they need advice as to the best way to get something done digitally who is likely to be the first port of call?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now