sidewinder Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 I've got quite a bit of holiday left this year so I almost feel like a teacher with all this time off! Anyway I'm desperate to go somewhere and not waste it in the UK. Any suggestions where I could go? 90% certain I'll be going on my own, so somewhere busy where you can meet people is a must. And it cant be colder than England I was thinking about Morocco, I'd love to go there but apparantly in the summer the heat is almost unbearable? Ditto Seville and southern Spain. I'd love to go to Asia again but doesnt seem worth it for a few weeks, considering the cost of the flights. Also was thinking Germany since I've never been there? Berlin perhaps, I assume there is plenty to see? Just wondered if I'm overlooking anything cheap and amazing really
sippo Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 Bulgaria? Never been, but really cheap apparently. 60p a pint.
jamesreedersmith Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 What about holland? or prague - both lovely and lots to see and do.
WStore_Dan Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 We are off to Sri Lanka and Goa at Xmas for 25 days. We also looked at Bali or the Perhentian Islands but Xmas is the wrong time to go to any of them but might be ok for your dates? The Perhentian Islands look pretty amazing if you want to chill out
Sarconia Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 I had a look into taking a holiday the other year, it turned out to be too expensive in the end but the one location which seemed to stand out time and time again for all of us and the fussy criteria which many people had was Italy. Bulgaria was also on the contemplation list but was swiftly removed after a friend of mine went out there, he walked into a bar, ordered a drink, was then asked to pay the equivalent of about £500 for it, turned around and there were two big guys pointing guns at him. Whilst that could happen anywhere in the world and to anyone whilst they are on holiday, it did put us off somewhat.
sidewinder Posted July 5, 2010 Author Posted July 5, 2010 Will look into Bulgaria. Cheap beer is always a consideration Went to Holland a few weeks ago, Prague or the Czech Republic in general might be a go-er Dan - Would actually love to go to the Perhentians, or anywhere in SE Asia but cheapest flights at this short notice are well over £500 If I could find some for less then I'd be booking it right now!
tech_guy Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 Do what I'm doing on the 25th July - three weeks in Tamil Nadu & Kerala, India. Flying in to Chennai via Dubai - and nothing else booked - we're just going to make it up as we go along once we get there. That's what I call a holiday - none of this lying on a naff Spanish beach rubbish for me.
sidewinder Posted July 5, 2010 Author Posted July 5, 2010 ^ That actually sounds amazing...I'd love to visit India. Flights might be a bit more reasonable too!
sandeep2504 Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 have a look on here: Travel Guides, Hotel Reviews, Vacation Ideas, and Trip-Planning Tools at Concierge.com has some great ideas on holidays sorted by different categories and interests.
witch Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 Have a look on some of the bucket websites like lastminute.com - find a good prospect and research it on places like tripadvisor. No point deciding to go to a place and then finding that you can't afford it! Oh, and just a point - Southern Italy is very hot in the summer, too
dhicks Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 Prague or the Czech Republic in general might be a go-er One option might be to get a night train accross Germany to the Czech Republic, then you could maybe see Berlin and Prague and you get a nice, civilised journey. I went to Prague over Easter and mostly found it to be crowded with tourists, but I guess it mostly depends what you expect to see / do when you visit somewhere. -- David Hicks
tmcd35 Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 Cairo. Wonderful city, very busy, lots of friendly people and very hot. also cheap, esp. this time of year. You can also get cheap internal flights to the south of egypt from Cairo and do the whole tourist thing.
somabc Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 I've got quite a bit of holiday left this year so I almost feel like a teacher with all this time off! Anyway I'm desperate to go somewhere and not waste it in the UK. Any suggestions where I could go? 90% certain I'll be going on my own, so somewhere busy where you can meet people is a must. And it cant be colder than England I was thinking about Morocco, I'd love to go there but apparantly in the summer the heat is almost unbearable? Ditto Seville and southern Spain. I'd love to go to Asia again but doesnt seem worth it for a few weeks, considering the cost of the flights. Also was thinking Germany since I've never been there? Berlin perhaps, I assume there is plenty to see? Just wondered if I'm overlooking anything cheap and amazing really It depends what you like to do of course. Morocco will be really hot (35-40 Deg C) but then you can get a nice hotel and relax in a different culture. Berlin would be great city break as it has some of the best Art and Music / Clubbing scene in Europe plus it's cheap.
stevenlong1985 Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 Tokyo, Japan - electronics Heaven !!! I really want to back too much too do there
sidewinder Posted July 5, 2010 Author Posted July 5, 2010 It depends what you like to do of course. Morocco will be really hot (35-40 Deg C) but then you can get a nice hotel and relax in a different culture. Berlin would be great city break as it has some of the best Art and Music / Clubbing scene in Europe plus it's cheap. Maybe I will just go with Morocco...it does fulfull all the other criteria - vastly different from Europe, not too long or too expensive a flight, and fairly reasonable cost of living. I can handle the heat
mossj Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 (edited) I went to Berlin last year, best place I've ever been.... I even got into a underground ping pong torny... Doing it again this year but instead of going to Germany > Holland > Belgium > France, we are going from Germany > Poland > Belarus > RUSSIA > Finland (and then I fly home not allowed any more time off but my friends carry on going through northern EU) Edited July 5, 2010 by mossj
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now