Gatt Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 This new "Mentioned: x post(s)" I see on next to peoples info boxes on posts?
Gatt Posted June 11, 2010 Author Posted June 11, 2010 Ah-ha sussed it - its a twitter / facebook style system.... Testing.. @Gatt ^-- doesn't work by typinng an @ then the username you need to wrap the username in [ mention ] & [ /mention ] tags to get this: @Gatt: Clicking the link takes you to the users profile....
Gatt Posted June 11, 2010 Author Posted June 11, 2010 (edited) @localzuk:'s did @laserblazer:'s didn't Edited June 11, 2010 by Gatt
ZeroHour Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 A frontpage article will be forth coming soon. I just installed it live last night and had to go to bed... The format is @; 1
Gatt Posted June 11, 2010 Author Posted June 11, 2010 @ZeroHour: Ah I see - you need the semi colon at the end too... Anyway it can be done without that?
Gatt Posted June 11, 2010 Author Posted June 11, 2010 Hmm - @ZeroHour: both you, @localzuk and myself have been mentioned at least twice, but the count is still at 1?
tmcd35 Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 @Gatt: are you using semi-colons or colons?? does that make a difference??
ZeroHour Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 @Gatt: test This is due to you tagging yourself I think.
tmcd35 Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 Interesting - it changed the semi-colon to a colon when it posted the message (I swear blind I typed a semi!)
Gatt Posted June 11, 2010 Author Posted June 11, 2010 @Gatt: are you using semi-colons or colons?? does that make a difference?? Yep, and the [ mention ] tags @Gatt: test This is due to you tagging yourself I think. I thought this - except it increased to 1 after I did my test at the top, but not when @localzuk: did it.. interstingly it went to 3 after you did it!
Gatt Posted June 11, 2010 Author Posted June 11, 2010 would be nice if it autotagged a username! though this would prob slow things down too much..
localzuk Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 When someone mentions you in a post, you get a notification in the top right. So it draws your attention to a topic you may not have spotted. 2
powdarrmonkey Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 Sweet monkey Tuesdays, we have become Twitter without the character limit.
webman Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 This feature was requested/suggested a while ago. I think it's beneficial. 1
Edu-IT Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 So in theory you could really annoy people eventually by mentioning them poitntlessly? Can you turn off notifications?
powdarrmonkey Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 When someone mentions you in a post, you get a notification in the top right. So it draws your attention to a topic you may not have spotted. Ah, ok, I'm sold on that one. However, do we have to have a special syntax for it? The tags feature has shown that if it's optional, it won't be used, and if it's not used consistently nobody benefits. I'm of the opinion that any mentioned username should be tagged automatically (and retrospectively) without a twitterism in front of it.
ZeroHour Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 I thought this - except it increased to 1 after I did my test at the top, but not when @localzuk: did it.. interstingly it went to 3 after you did it! Ahh its the caching that is causing the delay.
webman Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 @Gatt: Here we go http://www.edugeek.net/forums/comments-suggestions/44081-username.html
ZeroHour Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 Ah, ok, I'm sold on that one. However, do we have to have a special syntax for it? The tags feature has shown that if it's optional, it won't be used, and if it's not used consistently nobody benefits. I'm of the opinion that any mentioned username should be tagged automatically (and retrospectively) without a twitterism in front of it. That would basically involve a script going through every word in every post and comparing it with the username database, aka HUGE load. We can remove the "@" at the start after the post, its still needed to tag a user.
ZeroHour Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 So in theory you could really annoy people eventually by mentioning them poitntlessly? Can you turn off notifications? Not yet but I can disable users ability to use the feature so report abuse the usual way.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now