tmcd35 Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 Okay, so where do I see these notifications? They're not e-mailed to me I hope?
localzuk Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 Okay, so where do I see these notifications? They're not e-mailed to me I hope? Top Right 'Your Alerts'. On your control panel there is a 'Mentions' tab.
tmcd35 Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 Top Right 'Your Alerts'. On your control panel there is a 'Mentions' tab. Got it now! Thanks to @srochford: for mention'ing me in another post
powdarrmonkey Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 That would basically involve a script going through every word in every post and comparing it with the username database, aka HUGE load. We can remove the "@" at the start after the post, its still needed to tag a user. Hmm. If it was me, I'd provide a SOAP interface to the username list ("here's a list of words in the post, are any of them usernames", with a SELECT filter) and let the client-side do the matching work. Probably still a bit heavy though. Getting rid of the "@" in a displayed post after the event would be good though.
Gatt Posted June 11, 2010 Author Posted June 11, 2010 So in theory you could really annoy people eventually by mentioning them poitntlessly? Can you turn off notifications? Yes - in the UserCP under Settings (right at the bottom!)
ZeroHour Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 Hmm. If it was me, I'd provide a SOAP interface to the username list ("here's a list of words in the post, are any of them usernames", with a SELECT filter) and let the client-side do the matching work. Probably still a bit heavy though. Getting rid of the "@" in a displayed post after the event would be good though. Yeh it could be slow. I liked having the @ myself as I thought it made it a little more obvious what happened. Thoughts?
Gatt Posted June 11, 2010 Author Posted June 11, 2010 I don't mind the @ at the front - though can we not auto-add the semi-colon if the @ prefix is used with a valid username?
Gatt Posted June 11, 2010 Author Posted June 11, 2010 Btw... shouldn't we merge this and the "@Username" thread now?
elsiegee40 Posted June 11, 2010 Posted June 11, 2010 Ah, ok, I'm sold on that one. However, do we have to have a special syntax for it? The tags feature has shown that if it's optional, it won't be used, and if it's not used consistently nobody benefits. I'm of the opinion that any mentioned username should be tagged automatically (and retrospectively) without a twitterism in front of it. Automatic tagging sounds a good idea until someone takes the name iPad, FOIA or ID10T (apologies if I've mentioned any real usrs, but I'm not off to check!) Prefixing with @ is good idea to stop auto tagging by accident. As for the semi-colon on the end, we'll soon get used to it
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now