mattx Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 We had a bee swarm today - so I spent an afternoon with our Science Tech capturing it and adding them to our existing colony. [ Well make a new one ] Some pix were taken along with some crap phone video footage by me: Bee Swarm - a set on Flickr If you want a look...
pete Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 *expected a mattx "help, I'm covered in bees, HEEEEELLLP" post* *is mildly disappointed* Is your science technician usually the kind of guy who suggests things like "why don't we try and capture that swarm of bees, what could possible go wrong?" 1
elsiegee40 Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 Briiliant shots. I assume a new hive is being obtained... to replace the temporary structure! 1
mattx Posted May 19, 2010 Author Posted May 19, 2010 *expected a mattx "help, I'm covered in bees, HEEEEELLLP" post* *is mildly disappointed* Is your science technician usually the kind of guy who suggests things like "why don't we try and capture that swarm of bees, what could possible go wrong?" Was stung a few times if you like to think of me in pain !! As for the science technician - indeed he is a little mad, which I think is why we get on so well - most of the staff think we are on another planet - oh hang on, we work in education.......we must be.
mattx Posted May 19, 2010 Author Posted May 19, 2010 Briiliant shots. I assume a new hive is being obtained... to replace the temporary structure! Indeed - will see if we can get a cheap one - we don't want them in there too long. Then will see on getting a proper one at a later date.
mattx Posted May 19, 2010 Author Posted May 19, 2010 Slightly longer version of the Bees making their way into the temporary hive - found out a few thousand were still in the original box we captured them in - so we dumped them right on the table next to the hive - just watch them as they just 'know' where the queen is and go straight for it. Soon after wards loads of them started fanning the entrance to keep it cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghNe3250Azc
Andrew_C Posted May 22, 2010 Posted May 22, 2010 HAH! I've got bees too! Mine however are nesting IN the wall of my office. Not sure if we can, or want to, do anything about them. Anyone want a swarm?
mattx Posted May 22, 2010 Author Posted May 22, 2010 HAH! I've got bees too! Mine however are nesting IN the wall of my office. Not sure if we can, or want to, do anything about them. Anyone want a swarm? I would say yes but you are in Winchester which is a bummer - I would get on to your local Bee Club - I can guarantee they will be over within hours to get them - a swam with a queen is easily worth £200, the queen itself £50
CSNM-Carl Posted May 22, 2010 Posted May 22, 2010 Did you not have a suit thing on when taking this video!?
rad Posted May 22, 2010 Posted May 22, 2010 Did you not have a suit thing on when taking this video!? are you thinky h and s or just want to see Matt is a silly outfit?
Andrew_C Posted May 22, 2010 Posted May 22, 2010 (edited) Seems not. They are in air bricks, and all they say is "contact commercial operatives". I don't like the sound of that! Edit - They are trying to find someone to help me. Edited May 22, 2010 by Andrew_C
mattx Posted May 22, 2010 Author Posted May 22, 2010 Did you not have a suit thing on when taking this video!? Don't need one when they are in a swarm - in swarm mode they just want to be around the queen. Only worth putting stuff on when examining the hive closely or removing honey - and even then I don't tend to bother with the gloves or arm protection, just head. During that s
powdarrmonkey Posted May 22, 2010 Posted May 22, 2010 I like how you used a "highly flammable" box as a temporary hive... Your job is sooo much cooler than mine
mattx Posted May 23, 2010 Author Posted May 23, 2010 I like how you used a "highly flammable" box as a temporary hive... Your job is sooo much cooler than mine When there is interesting things going on yes - when it's normal ICT related is as boring as hell - trust me.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now