RobFrain Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 Hello I've now been told that the head wants to change the Prospectus for the school and add a virtual DVD of all subject areas including videos and students talking about the courses and facilities at the school. We have the camera primed and ready to go but once we get all the data I really am unsure of what is the best system to use? Any ideas - we need to do it sadly on the cheap as well! Thanks
LosOjos Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 I'm sure there are better (more expensive) and free (harder to use) programs out there, but Nero is a really easy program to use for DVD authoring, it'll allow you to create custom DVD menus in a WYSIWYG environment and a single license won't set your school back too much (plus once you have it you only need a new license if you decide to update) Nero - Nero 9 - Reloaded | The World's Leading DVD and CD Burning Software
RTFM Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 I assume you dont have Adobe Premiere Pro and Encore? If you did, that would make your life much easier.......though I do find Encore a bit flakey.
Dom_ Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 I used Magix movie edit pro to do ours, found it really easy to use. Dom
Gerry Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 I quite liked Adobe Premier Elements (should only set you back around £40) - been a while since I used though and I never created DVD's with it. At home I have Pinnacle Studio 14, which is OK when you get used to the interface and also set me back around £40. Also allows you to create a DVD, but creating a menu was a little fiddly to begin with - some tutorials online helped. Because I bought a budget version, it would only allow me one menu screen though. If you fancy trying a bit of open source: DVDStyler - Free DVD Authoring Application DVD Flick Welcome to virtualdub.org! - virtualdub.org Avidemux - Main Page Or for Linux this looks pretty good: OpenShot Video Editor: OpenShot 1.0 Has Arrived!
dhicks Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 the head wants to change the Prospectus for the school and add a virtual DVD Sorry, how do mean by a "virtual DVD"? Do you mean you want to produce a physical DVD that people can play in their DVD players at home, or you want some videos to go on a website? I've used Premier Elements for both in the past - about £30, all the normal editing tools. -- David Hicks
RobFrain Posted February 11, 2011 Author Posted February 11, 2011 Wow Almost a year to the day since I last bought this up! We never actually did it in the end, and its been once again mentioned and has to be done by April! How have other schools actually done this? Can anyone recommend anyone external to do such a thing? What are the costs like?
Dom_ Posted February 11, 2011 Posted February 11, 2011 Wow Almost a year to the day since I last bought this up! We never actually did it in the end, and its been once again mentioned and has to be done by April! How have other schools actually done this? Can anyone recommend anyone external to do such a thing? What are the costs like? When I did it, I got a couple of trusted kids to do most of the filming, got a few short clips of teachers in action (science experiments and the like)... Then got the guy whose idea it was to do a script for the kids to read. Filmed that, then editted in the other bits to break up the scripted bit. Took about 3 hours to film and 4-5 to edit together, add music, intro credits etc. Had an external company burn about 100 copies (I just took them the original), iirc it cost about 50-80p per DVD (which included a black and white printed label, and a plastic wallet). Let us know how you get on :-P I might be able to dig out the one I did if you want some ideas?
Sylv3r Posted February 11, 2011 Posted February 11, 2011 I had a quote from educ8tv - Welcome a year or so ago and the price wasn't too bad if I remember right. But for one reason or another we didn't go down the route of a prospectus on a DVD as it was felt it would be a waste of time and money.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now