leco Posted January 22, 2010 Posted January 22, 2010 I want to look at a list of ports that are active on one of my servers. Is there a utility, akin to ipscan for IP addresses, that I can use? What I am trying to do is find all the ports being used for printers to ensure that they are all on separate ones. Thanks.
OutToLunch Posted January 22, 2010 Posted January 22, 2010 CurrPorts: Monitoring TCP/IP network connections on Windows will list all open ports - but reading the second line of your post I'm not sure that's actually what you wanted to do?
leco Posted January 22, 2010 Author Posted January 22, 2010 CurrPorts: Monitoring TCP/IP network connections on Windows will list all open ports - but reading the second line of your post I'm not sure that's actually what you wanted to do? I've downloaded it looks like the sort of thing that would show what I want, but I'm not sure. Thanks
leco Posted January 22, 2010 Author Posted January 22, 2010 Does Wireshark do that? I've never been able to get Wireshark working. I think I'm probably not using it correctly as I don't fully understand it.
ninjabeaver Posted January 22, 2010 Posted January 22, 2010 I've never been able to get Wireshark working. I think I'm probably not using it correctly as I don't fully understand it. I always find the predecessor to it easier. That was Ethereal if you can track it down.
apaton Posted January 23, 2010 Posted January 23, 2010 (edited) There is only one tool to use for Network/Port scanning - NMAP (as featured in the Matrix Reloaded) http://nmap.org/images/matrix/reload_nmap_f.jpg There is a nice GUI shipped with Windows version called Zenmap http://nmap.org/zenmap/images/zenmap-multi-1220x700.png Edited January 23, 2010 by witch No need to shout!
mjs_mjs Posted January 23, 2010 Posted January 23, 2010 Ubuntu has a nice port scan in it's networking tools. You can run it live from a CD or in a virtual box, or an actual box. I've used this many times to see whats open and what it used for, tho i think it lookes up the use from a table somewhere rather than actual use.
leco Posted January 23, 2010 Author Posted January 23, 2010 Thanks Matt but I know nothing of Ubuntu - should I be ashamed? Windows only experience, but thanks anyway.
mjs_mjs Posted January 23, 2010 Posted January 23, 2010 Thanks Matt but I know nothing of Ubuntu - should I be ashamed? Windows only experience, but thanks anyway. Sorry to hear your missing out on alot. In all seriousness you should try it. It's good for things like scanning, webservers, getting work off of dead machines. I think it's time u had a look. It's really simple too. It's an easy way to try linux, althought there are many other distro and we all have our favorites, to do a port scan would take me about 1/2 hour without doing any perminant installs. I'll explain how simple this is; 1. Get ISO and burn to CD, 2. Stick CD in drive and launch into the 'live' or 'try ubuntu without any change to your computer' 3. Once loaded, go to system (top left), administration, network tools, then click on the port scan tab, and enter IP - then click scan. 4. Once complete shut down the ubuntu OS from the top right corner and wait on screen instructions to remove disk. Should you be ashaimed - No, i had no experiance of ubuntu untill i needed to use something other than windows to get into a windows machine to get files off, all of us here have never used it at one point, some people still havent and never will, there was a point where you had never used windows... if nothing else comes back simpler give it a go, only a CD and some time too lose. You'll want a machine with a p3 or better and at least 512 RAM.
leco Posted January 23, 2010 Author Posted January 23, 2010 (edited) OK willing to have a go - could you point me to where I get the ISO from please? Or is it as simple as typing in Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu Oh I see that it is thanks. Which version - desktop or server - do you recommend? Edited January 23, 2010 by leco fingers not working - changed wording
leco Posted January 23, 2010 Author Posted January 23, 2010 Whats wrong with netstat -a Is that to hard? Willing to listen, explain please.
m25man Posted January 23, 2010 Posted January 23, 2010 On a windows box open a command prompt as an administrator and type netstat -a All listening ports on the local machine are listed, any with an active connection will show as listening or established. Quick and simple. Almost all other variants (netstat /?) will answer most questions. Beyond that any of the GUI freewares will do a similar job my favourite is whatsrunning as it can show not only the active IP connections but link them to the running processes which is handy is your trying to track down a rouge process or malware. 1
pete Posted January 23, 2010 Posted January 23, 2010 netstat -ano will also display the PID (n optional) 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now