boogster Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 Hi there The Headteacher wants the laptop that controls the LCD TV Noticeboard moved from her office and into the admin office which is across the hall and about 12m in distance. I could run a long VGA cable but as I have to go through 2 walls I dont want to have to drill large holes to fit VGA D connectors through as dont fancy cutting and soldering as my soldering skills are not that great. Someone mentioned that I could use vga/cat5 converters? Could anyone tell me a) if that would do the trick b) what the image would be like We are only running PP presentations through at the moment but may in time require audio aswell Has anyone got a link or recommend a site that I can urchase these from. Thanks
Haptic Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 Hi there The Headteacher wants the laptop that controls the LCD TV Noticeboard moved from her office and into the admin office which is across the hall and about 12m in distance. I could run a long VGA cable but as I have to go through 2 walls I dont want to have to drill large holes to fit VGA D connectors through as dont fancy cutting and soldering as my soldering skills are not that great. Someone mentioned that I could use vga/cat5 converters? Could anyone tell me a) if that would do the trick b) what the image would be like We are only running PP presentations through at the moment but may in time require audio aswell Has anyone got a link or recommend a site that I can urchase these from. Thanks we can help you out there bud , if you pm me your details I will get a few options and specs over to you first thing tomorrow, 1
neon Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 VGA EXTENDER VIA CAT5 5E 6 RJ45 ETHERNET CABLE TO 33M on eBay (end time 07-Feb-10 11:05:17 GMT) "In in my personal exsperience,tests were able to transmit 1280x1024 resolution over 50 ft. (17 meters) which will be in the range of 720p or 1080i HDTV most of the time, and sometimes up to 150 ft." never used them myself but I dont think it would be too hard to be honest. 1
john Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 I can recommend this product - --|EVA214|VGA & AUDIO CAT 5 EXTENDER | CPC I've used it for that job perfectly many times and the audio works on it fine as well and I used it on a length that totalled about 70 meters. 1
RabbieBurns Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 we used one in my old school to go up to the massive projector on the roof of the main hall. Was well over 20m and it worked perfectly. Image was crystal clear
Educare_AV Posted January 12, 2010 Posted January 12, 2010 Hi, I have used these before, but a little on the expensive side. Video Splitters & Extenders | Video Splitters & Extenders | Sharing, Converting, Extending | LINDY UK part no 32755 sender unit part no 32756 receiver unit They transmit upto 250m but i have used them say uptp 30m, picture is crystal clear. They will also transmit the audio signal over the same cat5/6 run. You will require a power socket at each end, as they are both powered. Might be easier and cleaner looking to run in, a new VGA, audio cable and terminate into a connection box. In the heads room. This will probably be cheaper, I hae used cheaper convertors in the past and to be honest the quality hasn't been great.
plexer Posted January 12, 2010 Posted January 12, 2010 If you got something like one of the techconnect kits this uses screw terminals and bare wires on one end of the cable thus you'd need smaller holes. Ben
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now