RabbieBurns Posted October 12, 2009 Posted October 12, 2009 I bought a HP Proliant thing off a link someone posted here ages ago as I thought it was a good deal, ripped the insides out and put it in my own case. Its currently got 1gb ram in it and Id like to up it to 4 or 8.. Im not sure which type of ram to get, or even how many slots it has.. The processor is one of these: x86_64 Dual-Core AMD Opteron Processor 1210 AuthenticAMD What would be the best RAM to get for it, and how many slots is it likely to have?
mac_shinobi Posted October 12, 2009 Posted October 12, 2009 (edited) If you go to RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com you can download a system scanner and it will give you all that info with ref to what type of ram, how many slots etc and you can purchase it from them as well. If not then you can at least copy / paste this info and go from there. If not that then SIW ( http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html ) Edited October 12, 2009 by mac_shinobi 1
RabbieBurns Posted October 12, 2009 Author Posted October 12, 2009 No idea I just kept the insides and gave the case away. It was from insight.uk.com or something I think, and was bought some time between april / may 2008
3s-gtech Posted October 12, 2009 Posted October 12, 2009 I think these run DDR2 800 with ECC, we have one also. Not expensive RAM at all. 1
RabbieBurns Posted October 12, 2009 Author Posted October 12, 2009 Found the thread that prompted me to buy it: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/hardware/19789-hp-proliant-ml115-119-99-a.html Seems its a hp-proliant-ml115 and it can take up to 8gb from that post... will that be 2*4gb or 4*2gb? HAs anyone got one of these and can check... Also, what type of RAM will I want..
OutToLunch Posted October 12, 2009 Posted October 12, 2009 Its currently got 1gb ram in it and Id like to up it to 4 or 8.. Im not sure which type of ram to get, or even how many slots it has.. The processor is one of these: x86_64 Dual-Core AMD Opteron Processor 1210 AuthenticAMD What would be the best RAM to get for it, and how many slots is it likely to have? The processor isn't much use when looking at what memory to buy - different motherboard chipsets may support the same processors but different memory types. The number of slots is surely an easy question to answer by taking the side off the case and having a look? Probably also has an ID on the motherboard whilst you're in there, if not, HWInfo32 pulls up the brand/model of our HP Proliant 330 so will likely do the same. It's probably also in the BIOS info if you don't want to download any extra software. Once you have the model just look it up on the HP site, they're pretty good for fairly detailed specs.
Optics Posted October 12, 2009 Posted October 12, 2009 I bought one of those (G5), although from a different dealer it was the same machine. Pretty sure they needed PC2-6400 DDR2 Unbuffered ECC. I'll check when I get home as it's my media server. 1
RabbieBurns Posted October 12, 2009 Author Posted October 12, 2009 The processor isn't much use when looking at what memory to buy - different motherboard chipsets may support the same processors but different memory types. The number of slots is surely an easy question to answer by taking the side off the case and having a look? Probably also has an ID on the motherboard whilst you're in there, if not, HWInfo32 pulls up the brand/model of our HP Proliant 330 so will likely do the same. It's probably also in the BIOS info if you don't want to download any extra software. Once you have the model just look it up on the HP site, they're pretty good for fairly detailed specs. I just added the processor in case anyone recognised the machine it might have come with... The machine is in Glasgow, I should have said its 10,000 miles away itll be a task to get someone to get it out the rack to pop the ram in let alone have them take it down to poke around inside looking for numbers ;p Also its not running windows so I guess hwinfo32 is a windows app? Anyway, I think ive got the model of the machine now so ill do some investigating.. cheers.
superfletch Posted October 12, 2009 Posted October 12, 2009 Use the crucial website as suggested earlier but ignore the system scanner and just enter the make/model of the machine and it'll usually work it out. If it does take 8Gb I'd have thought 4 x 2Gb Chips. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now