KWestos Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 Just re-writing/amending my development plan. Could anyone enlighten me as to what we (Secondary Schools) are obliged to have in place over the next few years, i.e. parent access to SIMS etc. If anyone has a time line of projects that need to be addressed. I would hugely appreciate it. Many thanks
CAM Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 I believe around March 2010, SIMS will require SQL Server 2008.
pete Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 Online reporting to parents is September 2010. There's a few "don't panic" workshops kicking around mid-October that it might be worth shipping some of SMT off to.
Quackers Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 I believe around March 2010, SIMS will require SQL Server 2008. Please tell me your joking! Does not feel like i've been on SQL Server 2005 for that long Wish SIMS would move to MySQL.
CAM Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 I'll check my notes when I get back in the office, but it's what I heard at the Croydon Roadshow.
maniac Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 Please tell me your joking! Does not feel like i've been on SQL Server 2005 for that long Wish SIMS would move to MySQL. Fraid to say he's right. This is a link to the Kent LEA document http://www.eiskent.co.uk/docs/09-E31.doc it's publically viewable on the EIS website, so don't see the harm in linking it here. Mike.
EduTech Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 Yeah i was also told this at a meeting i went too a few weeks ago, shame as alot of schools wont be even thinking of upgrading to SQL 2008. I although do not mind as i have a spare licence for SQL 2008 ready and waiting for when it is compatible. then both my SQL Servers will be running SQL 2008. James.
GrumbleDook Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 Here are a couple of things that will affect you that you need to plan for. Parental engagement (including online reporting) - this will range from online surveys, direct communication between parents and the school, access to historical student information such as attendance, progress and behavioural data, the use of things like SMS for real-time sharing of information such as attendance alerts. Data protection - the introduction of DP policies and the technologies to support it such as encryption, audit trails, etc Improved financial management (FMSiS) which will affect your use of inventories, purchasing / procurement and showing Best Value. FITS version 2 - including better use of tools such as Helpdesk software, training and accreditation, sustainable IT (linked in with FMSiS) and communication with users (FAQs, knowledge bases, etc) 14-19 course and collaboration with other schools, local colleges and work-based learning providers (this is likely to be based round LA projects but you will have to be aware of what is happening) This is a rough list out of a longer one I am putting together for our schools but happy to share as I go along. HTH 2
enjay Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 I although do not mind as i have a spare licence for SQL 2008 ready and waiting for when it is compatible. Surely Capita would stick with the free versions, as they have done before, not require us to buy something as expensive as SQL?
cookie_monster Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 Wish SIMS would move to MySQL. Wish they would support Open Office as well, keep dreaming.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now