steveo2000 Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 Ok, Quick question, I work in a High School and ive been asked to research into setting up Guest Access on are wireless for users that don't work in are school and things like Iphones etc without having to give out the WEP Key to teachers and such like. All I want them to have is Internet Access nothing more like file sharing etc. I've noticed the new Apple Access points can do this, AirPort Extreme Base Station - Apple Store (U.K.) (See guest access) we have Cisco Aironet 1230AG points all over the school and i was wondering if anyones had any experience in configuring them?? We are a brand new school (well 2 years old) so are tech department has pretty new equipment. I understand a VLAN would have to be setup but I admit I have no previous experience of doing this and would be grateful for any assistance! So I guess I need to configure my access points and my switches? Thanks Steve
EduTech Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 Should of brought Ruckus AP's!! Guest Access is easy with that But Yes, i'll PM you i have some documentation somewhere on configuring these AP's. also have a look here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6108/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html James. 4
steveo2000 Posted July 27, 2009 Author Posted July 27, 2009 your a star! Had a look at those guides got my head round it a little more! Any help is fantastic!
matt40k Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 (edited) Damn all you Ruckus users!! For the rest of use non-Ruckus users. Look up 802.1x, basically, setup MS Radius\Cert, link the APs to radius, make a GP so all your (domain) wireless devices auto-enroll. Setup a new vlan for the unprotected (non-domain pcs). Allow annoymous connections (guest), point them to the new vlan. Keeps them both separate, you can ofcourse remove the lay of security if you want. I'll post the MS guide when I find it. Damm thing is hidded under all the rubbish MS produces. UPDATE: Sort of found it (not the one I was looking for, but might help spark an idea) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9ADF7496-0D50-4138-848E-9BC810B83C01&displaylang=en Edited July 27, 2009 by matt40k updated. 1
EduTech Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 Damn all you Ruckus users!! For the rest of use non-Ruckus users. you know you love it!!
spc-rocket Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 you know you love it!! I think for people who already have any types of wireless system either managed or unmanaged, ruckus needs to do some incentive to buy back or trade in the existing wireless systems. This may provide a v. good reason ro make for people migrate to Ruckus or other wireless network vendor. The problem is that what does the customer do when they have the existing wireless equipment, just chuck it away? That would not go down well with management as you would have not got a lot out of the money you spent on where as if ruckus, HP and other wireless vendors did some scheme where they provide some rebate for trading on your existing kit it make make it customers worthwhile to move over. Also this should be open to all major wireless vendor's equipment and not just selected few. Ash.
featured_spectre Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 Ruckus pricing is far better than most other managed systems, if not all for education. I have seen some schools spend £3000 on standard APs only for them to buy Ruckus 6 months down the line and reduce the amount of AP's, reduce power consumption and increase scalability! Ruckus are doing good deals at the minute! 2
EduTech Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 I think for people who already have any types of wireless system either managed or unmanaged, ruckus needs to do some incentive to buy back or trade in the existing wireless systems. This may provide a v. good reason ro make for people migrate to Ruckus or other wireless network vendor. The problem is that what does the customer do when they have the existing wireless equipment, just chuck it away? That would not go down well with management as you would have not got a lot out of the money you spent on where as if ruckus, HP and other wireless vendors did some scheme where they provide some rebate for trading on your existing kit it make make it customers worthwhile to move over. Also this should be open to all major wireless vendor's equipment and not just selected few. Ash. I understand exactly what your saying, i am in the same boat at the moment... ok we are going back a few years now but we had a Cisco Managed system that just fell apart never really worked (back when wireless was fairly new), then i believe 2/3 yrs ago we had an Aruba Managed Wireless system installed and i must admit that has been much better than the Cisco Wireless system but has never been brilliant so many problems. I have been looking at Ruckus for a very long time now.. i still dont actually have it as i am waiting for some funds before i can do the entire site but i have been testing it for a few weeks now and it hasn't failed! Bare in mind the Demo Kit's come with B/G APs nothing fabulous! and they have coped with everything we hit it with! 50 laptops logged on with no problems at all we also put 1 AP in a room and went to 2 classrooms furthers point away and the signal was good and again laptops logged on with no problems at all! where as with the Meru System we tested in exactly the same place had trouble with this. I cant fault the Ruckus kit as of yet, and thats with like i say the B/G APs i will actually be purchasing the Dual Band AP's so i can say we wont have any problems with this at all! Also, with the SMT wanting us to purchase 120 brand new laptops! we kind of needed to get a decent wireless system in place that we can all trust! and Ruckus has just done that. I'm not trying to put people of other managed systems as i am sure they also have their upside's! but for our building and our requirements Ruckus Ticked everybox with flying colours! :-) Also to echo above! Ruckus have got some fantastic offers on at the moment, no other vendor can touch them on price as far as i know at the moment They cut our AP's down by Half! Price down by Half! yet the service and quality has doubled! James. 2
matt40k Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 you know you love it!! Maybe... yet to see any land on my desk. Don't think it's going to happen any time soon either!! Just going a bit off topic, could some one could tell me how they can be so good (AP range etc), UK standard limits WiFi to 20dbm
EduTech Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 Maybe... yet to see any land on my desk. Don't think it's going to happen any time soon either!! Just going a bit off topic, could some one could tell me how they can be so good (AP range etc), UK standard limits WiFi to 20dbm Speak to NET-CTRL or CPLTD for a Demo kit i am sure they will be able to get one to you As for the second question i'll let them answer that James. 3
Edu-IT Posted July 28, 2009 Posted July 28, 2009 Also, with the SMT wanting us to purchase 120 brand new laptops! I feel your pain.
matt40k Posted July 28, 2009 Posted July 28, 2009 Speak to NET-CTRL or CPLTD for a Demo kit i am sure they will be able to get one to you I think it's more likely I'll pickup Net-Ctrl WiFi.
Aggy Posted July 28, 2009 Posted July 28, 2009 Maybe... yet to see any land on my desk. Don't think it's going to happen any time soon either!! Just going a bit off topic, could some one could tell me how they can be so good (AP range etc), UK standard limits WiFi to 20dbm Hi matt40k In regards to your question, Ruckus use RF beamforming technology which is focusing energy to wards client. Signal is stronger and can travel much much further. If you wish I could send you some more literature, just PM your details. Aggy [email protected] 01473 281 211 1
Haptic Posted July 28, 2009 Posted July 28, 2009 I think it's more likely I'll pickup Net-Ctrl WiFi. any particular reason why you wouldnt like a quote from ouselves on Ruckus Matt49K:confused: we seem to be helping a lot of edugeek members save money on there Ruckus purchases,
matt40k Posted July 28, 2009 Posted July 28, 2009 Nooo.... Was referring to the physical location of Net-Ctrl to my current location and how I should, if Ruckus is as good as everyone says it is, be able to pick it up. (I won't be able to connect however as it's so security) Still love ya Simon hehe 1
Haptic Posted July 28, 2009 Posted July 28, 2009 Nooo.... Was referring to the physical location of Net-Ctrl to my current location and how I should, if Ruckus is as good as everyone says it is, be able to pick it up. (I won't be able to connect however as it's so security) Still love ya Simon hehe LOL no worries fella
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now