leco Posted June 18, 2009 Posted June 18, 2009 If I can keep this connection up long enough I would like to ask a question about the ping command. I know I have done this in the past but cannot remember what the commands are My connection has suddenly developed some hiccoughs - it is so slooow and often drops packets. I want to be able to look at the route it takes to try and identify where the hold up is or which server drops the packets. I know there is a way of sending pings so they return the hops but the list I had is somewhere else and I cannot keep the connection up long enough to retrieve the instructions. Can anyone help me please?
teejay Posted June 18, 2009 Posted June 18, 2009 Use the tracert command, thats what you are looking for.
EduTech Posted June 18, 2009 Posted June 18, 2009 yes it is the tracert command you need tracert... tracert... tracert... yayy!!
EduTech Posted June 18, 2009 Posted June 18, 2009 You mean 'tracert your.web.site.address' ? Use the tracert command, thats what you are looking for. I think you want tracert (or traceroute in Linux) yes it is the tracert command you require! la..la..laa..laa
leco Posted June 18, 2009 Author Posted June 18, 2009 Thanks guys it's driving me nuts so much I've forgotten what I'm doing. tracert is coming up with some weird and wonderful results. Seems I'm bouncing through three of my ISP servers and stumbling out the other side. Just got to hope that my ISP is working on the server and it will clear soon. Better get on with some paper work in the meantime. Might be back later
alan-d Posted June 18, 2009 Posted June 18, 2009 I've found that it usually takes about 5 hops just to leave virgin media
leco Posted June 19, 2009 Author Posted June 19, 2009 Thanks Steve, didn't know that one. Currently my connection is taking upwards of 3 minutes to connect, I get a looking for: then found: then a very long waiting for.... before the page actually comes up. The page then takes another two to three minutes to render. Wonder if I need a new router or if it is actually my ISP, not sure jury still out.
Michael Posted June 19, 2009 Posted June 19, 2009 Tracert doesn't work with proxy servers (just so you know). Alternatively you could use the -t command to repeatedly ping. For example: ping 127.0.0.1 -t
leco Posted June 19, 2009 Author Posted June 19, 2009 Smells like a DNS problem. My thoughts also, but is it my router or my ISP dns servers? Don't really know enough about this, but it does appear that names are not being resolved swiftly enough. But there again when the names have been found it still takes an age waiting for the site - is that response time? Also wondering if BT have done something at the exchange. When I had this problem a week or so ago it was a BT issue, but they are not reporting anything this week. Will struggle on to see if it clears - if not I'm on the phone to Zen support.
Michael Posted June 19, 2009 Posted June 19, 2009 It could be a DNS problem or of course a problem with your connection itself. I doubt it's your router as it simply forwards requests to your ISP. Using the command (in my last post) change the IP to your router. If it's successful everytime, communication between your machine and the router is fine. This would then leave a potential DNS or connectivity problem. An easy solution would be to change your DNS servers (within Internet Protocol Properties). Set a static IP (if you wish but not necessary), then change your DNS server entries to: 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220 These are OpenDNS's DNS servers. Close all open browser windows, then try browsing websites and see if you have any luck If it works for you, change your DNS settings on your router/DNS server and it'll then apply to every machine on your network. 1
mac_shinobi Posted June 20, 2009 Posted June 20, 2009 Tracert doesn't work with proxy servers (just so you know). Alternatively you could use the -t command to repeatedly ping. For example: ping 127.0.0.1 -t not sure about working with proxy servers but maybe pathping [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathping]PathPing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
leco Posted June 20, 2009 Author Posted June 20, 2009 It could be a DNS problem or of course a problem with your connection itself. I doubt it's your router as it simply forwards requests to your ISP. Using the command (in my last post) change the IP to your router. If it's successful everytime, communication between your machine and the router is fine. This is almost fine, just one or two timing out. How do I stop it pinging!!!! This would then leave a potential DNS or connectivity problem. An easy solution would be to change your DNS servers (within Internet Protocol Properties). Set a static IP (if you wish but not necessary), then change your DNS server entries to: 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220 This is certainly better so will leave it on this machine for now. Thanks.
Michael Posted June 20, 2009 Posted June 20, 2009 This is almost fine, just one or two timing out. How do I stop it pinging!!!! Just close the command window. I don't believe there's any other way
mac_shinobi Posted June 20, 2009 Posted June 20, 2009 Just close the command window. I don't believe there's any other way Yes there is Ctrl + C as in cancel 2
Michael Posted June 20, 2009 Posted June 20, 2009 Ahh well there you go, I've learned something new. Thank you.
mac_shinobi Posted June 20, 2009 Posted June 20, 2009 Ahh well there you go, I've learned something new. Thank you. I know its also copy but it for some reasons cancels it and no probs saves closing and re opening command prompt windows all the time lol
mac_shinobi Posted June 20, 2009 Posted June 20, 2009 what about pathping or pingpath ( w/e its called ) no ones commented on that.
Michael Posted June 20, 2009 Posted June 20, 2009 Pathping is good and is a little more informative than tracert. I've found a good article for those interested. 1
leco Posted June 20, 2009 Author Posted June 20, 2009 Thanks both. Managed to stop the ping. Found a Technet library article about pathping, which gives the options but only some of the reasons for certain results. Useful command though I am pouring over the resulting lists. Seems I'm dropping packets left right and centre on very nearly every hop. Don't know what that signifies exactly, must do some more reading. (as if I haven't enough to do already) Currently reading the manual (!!!) for my router to make sure it's set up properly
PiqueABoo Posted June 20, 2009 Posted June 20, 2009 Seems I'm dropping packets left right and centre on very nearly every hop These days responding to pings isn't seen as a priority for a lot of net routers i.e. if they've got better things to do with their time, they'll just drop them (and five minutes later and a bit less stressed maybe they'll respond).
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now