RabbieBurns Posted May 25, 2009 Posted May 25, 2009 now that my server is 10000 miles away I was thinking I could do with a IP KVM so I can see the output of it booting up, get into the bios etc etc. Seen one on ebuyer for about £300 - Is that the price of them? Anyone got one they might not be using? Or can anyone find one cheaper than that. Its just for 1 server. cheers
RabbieBurns Posted May 25, 2009 Author Posted May 25, 2009 I was thinking maybe half that... Ill check ebay for a 2nd hand one.. Any brands I should get / avoid?
FN-GM Posted May 25, 2009 Posted May 25, 2009 i have had bad experiences with Dell ones. Not sure if anyone else had but i wouldn't go with them again
john Posted May 25, 2009 Posted May 25, 2009 I was thinking maybe half that... Ill check ebay for a 2nd hand one.. Any brands I should get / avoid? Keep your paws off the HP ones I'm bidding on eBay then please
RabbieBurns Posted May 29, 2009 Author Posted May 29, 2009 USED BELKIN F1DE101G REMOTE IP KVM SWITCH CONSOLE us1 on eBay, also Switch Box Cable Bundles, KVM Switch Boxes Cables, Networking Communications, Computers Networking (end time 13-Jun-09 04:33:38 BST) It says in the requirements it requires a server running XP/2000/NT? I thought these worked at hardware level? - I was of the understanding that you just took the video out + keyboard / mouse from the server and plugged it into one of these devices, and then plugged the device into the network switch or so? Am I misunderstanding?
john Posted May 29, 2009 Posted May 29, 2009 AFAIK they are generic, and cannot quickly spot anything about that which would make it not be the same in that way. It may be that it hasn't got any Apple / Sun etc converters that in the past you needed to have due to them all using weird and wacky ports in the past
localzuk Posted May 29, 2009 Posted May 29, 2009 USED BELKIN F1DE101G REMOTE IP KVM SWITCH CONSOLE us1 on eBay, also Switch Box Cable Bundles, KVM Switch Boxes Cables, Networking Communications, Computers Networking (end time 13-Jun-09 04:33:38 BST) It says in the requirements it requires a server running XP/2000/NT? I thought these worked at hardware level? - I was of the understanding that you just took the video out + keyboard / mouse from the server and plugged it into one of these devices, and then plugged the device into the network switch or so? Am I misunderstanding? I think it is generic, but it may have a software client which allows the use of the 'user defined shortcut keys' that are mentioned in that listing.
RabbieBurns Posted May 29, 2009 Author Posted May 29, 2009 cool cheers, Ill buy it and give it a go. Thanks
RabbieBurns Posted July 4, 2009 Author Posted July 4, 2009 Just to add, I bought one of those, $169 USD all in, it works great. Ive not actually seen the thing, as I had it shipped to the UK and plugged into my server, but it work great.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now