Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Two possible strange issues with the latest release of Chrome.

 

TBH these may not be related to Chrome but I cant think what else to blame :)

 


First one!

In two schools have had uses report issues with "Downloads" specifically they are getting this identical message

 

image.png.41f913b681cd04cd4e726622413f5fcb.png

 

As you can see the dialog has added the extra \\?\   at the beginning.

This is a "traditional" setup where Downloads is mapped in "Folder Redirection" to a network share - this has worked perfectly for the last 15+ years.

Suddenly getting these errors at two schools.

 

This leads on to the second issue and why I think its the chrome release

 

At both of these schools PDQInventory is reporting that Chrome is not installed!  However if I check in Program Files Chrome is there!

 

After checking I cant find the correct "uninstall strings" in the registry that would show that Chrome is correctly installed - which is why PDQ is saying its not.

 

 

Anyone else experiencing this weird behaviour?

Posted

Do users see the message when they download a file or when they try to open the downloaded file?

For what it's worth, I'm using 149.0.7827.54 and I can download files and open them from chrome://downloads/. We enforce the downloads directory, users don't get to choose where to download files, and that path is on a Windows network share. It shows as h:\downloads rather than a UNC path though.

Posted

Apparently mapping as drive rather than UNC is safer with chrome - however we have been doing it this way for years.

I work remotely so at the moment have to rely on screenshots.  At present only 2 people have reported this issued - just at 2 very different schools.  Want to get ahead of this if I can

From what they said chrome://downloads doesnt work either - but I believe if they open Explorer and go to downloads the files are there - oddly

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...