cookie_monster Posted July 12, 2008 Posted July 12, 2008 So i installed the MS DNS patch onto my notebook and as expected i couldn't get onto the internet as i had Zonealarm installed, i did discover that if i turned the internet zone setting to medium i could get on but i decided to just uninstall zonealarm. Since the uninstall of zonealarm my notebook has started up and logged on much faster and the internet is also much more responsive. Currently i'm just using the windows firewall but i'm looking for a replacement for Zonealarm. Any recommendations?
beeswax Posted July 12, 2008 Posted July 12, 2008 So i installed the MS DNS patch onto my notebook and as expected i couldn't get onto the internet as i had Zonealarm installed, i did discover that if i turned the internet zone setting to medium i could get on but i decided to just uninstall zonealarm. Since the uninstall of zonealarm my notebook has started up and logged on much faster and the internet is also much more responsive. Currently i'm just using the windows firewall but i'm looking for a replacement for Zonealarm. Any recommendations? Isn't it KB951748? Yours, A. Pedant
cookie_monster Posted July 12, 2008 Author Posted July 12, 2008 (edited) No it's the right one, both KBs seem to go to the same buliten. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-037.mspx Same question though, Zonealarm replacement? Edited July 12, 2008 by cookie_monster
Michael Posted July 12, 2008 Posted July 12, 2008 I used to use Zonealarm in the ol' days of dial-up internet on Windows 98. I've obviously upgraded since then!! I use XP's firewall and I'm behind a NAT router. If you're still looking for an alternative, I have heard good things about Comodo's Firewall, but I haven't used it myself. Edit: rush_tech beat me to it!
cookie_monster Posted July 12, 2008 Author Posted July 12, 2008 I might take a look at Comodo, i'm also behind a NAT router and using the XP firewall my laptop has been so much faster since removing Zonealarm. I might just stick with the Windows firewall i'm aware that it doesn't perform real outbound filtering but i always logon as a restricted user and run upto date AV so i'm not too worried about software installing without my knowledge.
KarlGoddard Posted July 12, 2008 Posted July 12, 2008 this update problem has killed my love for Zone Alarm. I must admit though I've never really noticed any performance issues with it, and I have a 3 year old Dimension at home so it's not exactly a beefy PC... I'll try this comodo out over the holidays!
beeswax Posted July 12, 2008 Posted July 12, 2008 No it's the right one, both KBs seem to go to the same buliten. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-037.mspx Same question though, Zonealarm replacement? A. Pedant apologises.
torledo Posted July 12, 2008 Posted July 12, 2008 (edited) So i installed the MS DNS patch onto my notebook and as expected i couldn't get onto the internet as i had Zonealarm installed, i did discover that if i turned the internet zone setting to medium i could get on but i decided to just uninstall zonealarm. Since the uninstall of zonealarm my notebook has started up and logged on much faster and the internet is also much more responsive. Currently i'm just using the windows firewall but i'm looking for a replacement for Zonealarm. Any recommendations? personal firewalls are all hype and no trousers....the fact your machine's performance has improved since you've moved this particular commercial malware just shows what it's main contribution was. Enable windows firewall, and keep your OS and apps up-to-date with the latest vendor patches, ditch IE in favour of firefox and your pretty much done. Use an anti-virus package if you must but Windows firewall really is all you need, my advice is don't look for a replacement. Oh, and what your doing logging in as a restricted user also sounds like a smart move. Edited July 12, 2008 by torledo
projector1 Posted July 12, 2008 Posted July 12, 2008 I downloaded the latest release of ZA, uninstalled the version on my machine and then installed the latest version. IE & firefox are now both working again!
sidewinder Posted July 14, 2008 Posted July 14, 2008 Yeah just install the patch and continue using Zonealarm if you want. Personally, I just use the Windows one + common sense. Never had any problems yet.
cookie_monster Posted July 14, 2008 Author Posted July 14, 2008 I installed the patch but ditched zonealarm and things are moving along much more swiftly now.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now