RabbieBurns Posted May 21, 2008 Author Posted May 21, 2008 from what ive read on TheRegister and likes only the carphone warehouse will be opt in?
Edu-IT Posted May 21, 2008 Posted May 21, 2008 from what ive read on TheRegister and likes only the carphone warehouse will be opt in? Could be right. I followed it for few days then forgot about it once I realised that CPW were being sensible about it.
RabbieBurns Posted May 21, 2008 Author Posted May 21, 2008 Dear Mr. R, Thank you for your email regarding Phorm. We understand your very valid concerns regarding this privacy issue, and how it will potentially affect internet users. The latest information we have regarding this matter is that BT is currently running trial of around 10,000 users, in an opt-in scheme for Residential (not Business) Broadband users only. I hope this is of some help, and if you have any further queries regarding this, please do get back in touch. They haven't really answered any of my questions http://www.slamevents.com/speak/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif
webman Posted May 21, 2008 Posted May 21, 2008 Got my Be* box today, activation scheduled for tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
tmcd35 Posted May 21, 2008 Posted May 21, 2008 Okay, I know I shouldn't gloat but... I work part-time for a certain national computer retailer and as part of a staff offer I get... ahem, half price Virgin Media services So... Full XL TV package, telephone, V+ box, unlimited access to free on demand, and full 20mb unlimited, no caps, no forced proxies internet. £32.50 per month
RabbieBurns Posted June 17, 2008 Author Posted June 17, 2008 gonna be signing up with them toniight or tomorrow.. anyone got a promotional code for them? The ones ive found for free setup / 1 month free etc all have expired.
kmount Posted June 17, 2008 Posted June 17, 2008 Think if you name an existing member you both get a month's free. EDIT: https://www.bethere.co.uk/referafriend.do
RabbieBurns Posted June 18, 2008 Author Posted June 18, 2008 Seems from that only the referrer gets the free month and I just get the free setup. I guess that will need to do. Cheers
TheFopp Posted June 18, 2008 Posted June 18, 2008 Another happy BE customer here. Been getting 14Mb/s for the last 8 months.
RabbieBurns Posted June 25, 2008 Author Posted June 25, 2008 Ok, couldnt seem to sign up on the web but have now signed up over the phone. The nice indian lady waived the connection fee for me too. Got an email from BT through this morning saying my current service will terminate with them on 1st July. Whenever I have changed providers before the existing service only stopped when the new one started, and there was a downtime of about an hour. BE have not even given me an activation date yet, but their site says anything up to 4 weeks. WTF are BT cutting me off so soon. BA$T4RDS. Also, the main reason I resurrected this thread, is will my existing cisco 1721 adsl router work with BE adsl2+ or will I need a new model? Can anyone recommend one? 877 maybe? Cheers. RB
somabc Posted June 25, 2008 Posted June 25, 2008 I would consider O2 as well as Be. They use the Be network but they are a bit cheaper if you are an O2 mobile customer, even if its only PAYG. you can get 16Mbit for £10 a month, no connection fee, free router, and a 50 day money back guarantee.
RabbieBurns Posted June 25, 2008 Author Posted June 25, 2008 we currently have bt business, 5 ips etc so needed something a bit more substantial than any of the o2 packages so gone with be pro, 8 ips etc.
RabbieBurns Posted June 27, 2008 Author Posted June 27, 2008 Ok, couldnt seem to sign up on the web but have now signed up over the phone. The nice indian lady waived the connection fee for me too. Got an email from BT through this morning saying my current service will terminate with them on 1st July. Whenever I have changed providers before the existing service only stopped when the new one started, and there was a downtime of about an hour. BE have not even given me an activation date yet, but their site says anything up to 4 weeks. WTF are BT cutting me off so soon. BA$T4RDS. Also, the main reason I resurrected this thread, is will my existing cisco 1721 adsl router work with BE adsl2+ or will I need a new model? Can anyone recommend one? 877 maybe? Cheers. RB Well Be have just confirmed that 1st of July is my activation date so I guess BT were on the ball afterall.
RabbieBurns Posted July 1, 2008 Author Posted July 1, 2008 OK so everthing is offline back at home now so I assume thats the migration taken place. I grabbed the bebox etc as i left this morning to have a read through the documentation, but couldnt see anywhere listing my username and password and stuff. Is that normally sent out seperately?
RabbieBurns Posted July 1, 2008 Author Posted July 1, 2008 Interesting, thanks. Never had broadband that hasnt needed one. Cant wait to get home and try it out. Think i might finish up early today
powdarrmonkey Posted July 1, 2008 Posted July 1, 2008 My BT homehub junk doesn't need a username or password either, it came preconfigured for my line. Pretty cool, makes the setup that bit easier.
OutToLunch Posted July 2, 2008 Posted July 2, 2008 Has anyone actually run up against the fair usage policy of Be's internet provision? Trying to google for it but it's tricky when you're trying to google the 'unlimited' part to see how unlimited it is. Seems to have a very up in the air "if you use it more than you should" policy rather than a concrete limit. My current ISPs limit is 90gb with a charge per gig if you go over - having gone over the last couple of months and paying £5-10 extra I'm seriously considering Be - but not if their definition of unlimited turns out to be 20gb/month etc. Any thoughts or pointers appreciated.
RabbieBurns Posted July 2, 2008 Author Posted July 2, 2008 I must have grabbed about 20 gigs yesterday putting the new link through its paces. Only syncs at about 12500kbs and the max i could download at was 1100kB/s Was hoping for more but I guess thatll need to do
RabbieBurns Posted July 3, 2008 Author Posted July 3, 2008 anyone happen to have a cisco 877 configured for Be Pro with 8 IPs that could throw a config my way, before I go trawling the depths of the Be forums? I can get the router to ping the Be gateway, but not getting anything beyond that.
webman Posted July 3, 2008 Posted July 3, 2008 Have you set subnet mask and gateway according to the details given? The details were wrong on the information sheet they sent out; but my netmask is 255.255.252.0, with a GW IP of 78.86.108.1.
RabbieBurns Posted July 3, 2008 Author Posted July 3, 2008 thats the exact same gateway as me.. I thought the gateway was the local exchange.. obviously not. Ive set a staitic ip for the atm0.1 interface with the 255.255.252.0 subnet mask.. added a route statement route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 atm0.1 should i change that to 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 78.86.108.1 ?
webman Posted July 3, 2008 Posted July 3, 2008 Few forum threads that might be of interest: https://www.bethere.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17219 https://www.bethere.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14716 https://www.bethere.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13794 https://www.bethere.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13144
RabbieBurns Posted July 3, 2008 Author Posted July 3, 2008 Ill check them out at work in the morning cheers... spent the best part of the evening on the be forums theres a fair bit of conflicting advice there etc .. currently in the Be IRC channel (/me = geek yeh i know hehe) so will see if anyone theres got any ideas. Cheers
mac_shinobi Posted July 4, 2008 Posted July 4, 2008 The badged speedtouch I got with my O2-branded Be connection about three months ago just died! And it was utter c*ap while it was alive to be honest. Worked OK for a couple of months, then started to lose sync very frequently, and finally carked it over a weekend away, so I came back to a router with only one light on on it. Connection now working much better (as it happens) with a salvaged Netgear DG834GT I just did the same as the speedtouch was crud ( it didnt die on me in that way ) but wireless kept dropping out regardless of how I configured it and wasnt impressed with the firewall and configuration options. Now got a netgear router and has been working fine since
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now