Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi Guys

 

I'm trying to setup new VLANs for our network, I'm struggling at the momment.

 

Firstly what would you suggest/recommend to use for the Gateway?

- Core HP switch?

- Smoothwall?

 

Currently we are using the Smoothwall for the Gateway.

 

IP address for the gateway is (10.146.64.1)

This IP address is from the default VLAN1 IP range that we are using for the whole network (Minus VOIP, because that is on its own VLAN)

Network for the default VLAN is 10.146.64.0 - 255.255.248.0

 

This is the only gateway set on the HP Switch, actually can't see a way to set a different one for each different VLAN.

 

 

What I have done for one new VLAN (Named: Switches)

 

- Added a VLAN110 interface to Smoothwall (10.0.110.254 - 255.255.255.0)

 

- Add firewall rules to Smoothwall to allow traffic from Port1 (Default VLAN) to VLAN110 and vise versa.

 

- Added VLAN110 to HP Core Switch and gave this IP address (10.0.110.1) Haven't changed it to primary interface yet

- Tagged all uplinks for this VLAN on the HP Switch

 

 

Now I can ping 10.0.110.1 and 10.0.110.254 fine. But when I remove the IP address for the default VLAN on the core switch that we currently use to access the switch, I then don't get ping replies.

 

I am just pinging this from a untagged VLAN1 port.

 

 

Any thoughts would be great :)

Posted

I've just set up VLAN's here myself and am still trying to fully understand all the complexities, but in short this is what I did with our HP switches:

 

  • Pointed all edge switch default gateway addresses to the IP of the core switch - 192.168.0.x
  • Left default gateway on the core switch blank
  • Kept the tagging and untagging simple. VLAN1 untagged all ports, VLANS20, 30 & 40 tagged all ports. Keeps things easy when plugging in AP's to the various edge switches.
  • On my Windows DHCP server I made static routes to point to the core switch so that DHCP can respond correctly to the various VLANS - 172.16.x.x, 10.0.0.x and 155.236.100.x networks
  • IP Helper address on the core switch for VLANS 20, 30 & 40 to point to Windows DHCP
  • IP Routing enabled on core switch

 

The reason I had to add static routes to the Windows DHCP server is because the server is pointed at our firewall for internet access. The staff wi-fi default gateway points to a temporary dedicated firewall, which gives staff internet access.

 

Not the same setup as yours, but I hope it helps a bit. VLANs really do my head in most of the time!

Posted (edited)

I'd use the HP core (Layer 3 switch with IP Routing enabled) for the Internal LAN vlans i.e. not Guest or BOYD vlans and then use the smoothwall for Guest and BOYD vlans.

 

For internal vlans set the default gateway for the vlan on the HP core switch but for the BOYD/Guest WiFi set the default gateway as the smoothwall/Firewall. You can then be more granular on the Firewall when it comes to segregating the network rather than having to use complicated non-saclable ACLs on the core switch.

Edited by Davit2005

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...