PotNoodleTech Posted May 22, 2017 Posted May 22, 2017 I don't snapshot any VMs. You can get into a right mess if you're not very careful. I take a Veeam backup as an emergency measure just incase things go south.
vizubeat Posted May 23, 2017 Posted May 23, 2017 We only install one VM per box. The servers that the VM and SIMS sits upon meets the specs for SIMS with headroom. When you start adding other VM's then you have to go back and look at hardware side again, which pushes costs up. We have an image with SIMS installed and ready to go (just missing the DB & Docs). If a server goes bang or gets stolen we can drop this image on a new box and download the SIMS backups and have it in place on site in 1/2 a day. That seems like huge overkill...but hey ho. I'm guessing you have no shared storage?
ItsOggy Posted May 23, 2017 Posted May 23, 2017 P2V'd my sims box a couple of years ago on Hyper-v. I don't use snapshots, but I use Veeam Free Edition scripted with PowerShell every night. I restore to a test VM (leave the VM network disconnected!) before each upgrade or if I have big changes to try, works like a charm! 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now