HC_Netman Posted April 1, 2016 Posted April 1, 2016 Hi all, The spring release is the first time I have used Solus 3 and I am falling at the first hurdle. The updates have appeared which was a good start but when I try to download them I get a 404 not found error. Looking at the download page the URL shown under 'Current URL' seems to be the problem as even if I copy the URL into a browser it still comes back with a 404 error. There is another URL in the 'available URL's' section and this one appears to work OK from a browser but I don't seem to be able to tell Solus to use this one :s I have contacted my LEA support who are currently unable to help me but are investigating. In the meantime does anyone have any idea what this could be? Thanks
aleach2 Posted April 1, 2016 Posted April 1, 2016 Hi, I got the following error like you: I went to the downloads tab and the three failed updates were in there. I then clicked on each one and clicked resume download. This fixed it for me Hope this helps 1
aleach2 Posted April 1, 2016 Posted April 1, 2016 Sorry to hear that. Have you tried restarting the SOLUS 3 services on the SIMS server? Sometimes other SIMS services we use crash out and can easily be fixed by restarting the services. 1
HC_Netman Posted April 1, 2016 Author Posted April 1, 2016 Services restarted and still the same result. I should add that I have also tried various proxy settings just in case they were an issue but doesn't seem to make a difference. The LEA tried re-sending the updates but again this didn't help. I just can't figure out why it is using the bad URL when the good one is listed as available!
cheesits Posted April 1, 2016 Posted April 1, 2016 I've copied the url for the download you screenshotted into a web browser and get the same thing. However, Capita may be doing some work on these updates as I had trouble with this earlier in the week. I deleted the SIMS Spring 2016 download from the repository, restarted solus3 and then redownloaded. After this the 2 database only updates had disappeared and I was able to download and deploy to clients. Could be that Capita have noticed a problem and pulled it temporarily. 1
HC_Netman Posted April 1, 2016 Author Posted April 1, 2016 OK thanks - I guess I will have to try again on Monday and hope for more success. It is POETS day after all
HC_Netman Posted April 4, 2016 Author Posted April 4, 2016 So I tried again this morning hoping that the issue would have resolved itself over the weekend but no luck. Still getting the same error so if anyone has any other suggestions let me know. Cheers
Steve21 Posted April 4, 2016 Posted April 4, 2016 Is that for all packages or only that one? We don't even seem to have that one on ours. Steve
HC_Netman Posted April 4, 2016 Author Posted April 4, 2016 Is that for all packages or only that one? We don't even seem to have that one on ours. Steve It is for all 3 that are listed - all give the same error.
Steve21 Posted April 4, 2016 Posted April 4, 2016 Just told mine to re-download the SIMS Spring Full - 7.168.50 And it goes to: http://s3dl.capitasolus.co.uk/SIMS_Sims.net_1.9.189.1.pkg Try that link manually? Steve
Steve21 Posted April 4, 2016 Posted April 4, 2016 Might want to check this link manually too as it's where it checks for packages: PackageServerService Service Steve
HC_Netman Posted April 4, 2016 Author Posted April 4, 2016 I can access these links manually. The problem is that for some reason Solus 3 is trying a different link which also returns a 404 when visited manually. If you look at the screenshot above you can see that it lists the correct URL at the bottom but an incorrect URL at the top which is the one it is trying to access. I don't know how to tell Solus to use the other link. As no one else is having this issue I'm assuming it is something wrong with my setup but I have no idea what! Just been informed by my LEA that it has now gone to Capita second line...
Steve21 Posted April 4, 2016 Posted April 4, 2016 You should be able to use that drop down at the bottom to change it over, but seems ours auto-resets to the working one as obviously that other one doesn't seem to work. Steve 2
superfletch Posted April 4, 2016 Posted April 4, 2016 Not sure why this is occurring - if you're able to download other updates then it shouldn't be your site, I doubt it is exclusive to you and suspect there is an issue with Capita's repository... Are your S3 settings set to "auto-download" - if so switch that off while you do this process as it won't help. *Stop the download and then remove any files it did manage to get (they'll be in the SOLUS3 Repository with a recent date). *Restart both the SOLUS services on your server. *Use your link to the URL that works to manually download the package. *Now head to "Upgrades | Update Libriary | Import Update" *Browse to the pkg file(s) and import. This should allow you to do the update through SOLUS 3. 1
HC_Netman Posted April 4, 2016 Author Posted April 4, 2016 You should be able to use that drop down at the bottom to change it over, but seems ours auto-resets to the working one as obviously that other one doesn't seem to work. Ours auto-resets to the one that isn't working! Very annoying.
HC_Netman Posted April 4, 2016 Author Posted April 4, 2016 Not sure why this is occurring - if you're able to download other updates then it shouldn't be your site, I doubt it is exclusive to you and suspect there is an issue with Capita's repository... Are your S3 settings set to "auto-download" - if so switch that off while you do this process as it won't help. *Stop the download and then remove any files it did manage to get (they'll be in the SOLUS3 Repository with a recent date). *Restart both the SOLUS services on your server. *Use your link to the URL that works to manually download the package. *Now head to "Upgrades | Update Libriary | Import Update" *Browse to the pkg file(s) and import. This should allow you to do the update through SOLUS 3. Thanks for this I wasn't sure how to import the updates manually so this will be very helpful if I don't get this working. S3 is not set to auto-download. I will wait to see if Capita come up with a solution today (As I would rather fix the issue now to stop it happening in the future). If not I will try the manual way. Thanks again
Jonah Posted April 4, 2016 Posted April 4, 2016 We're also having this error - moved to SOLUS3 this HT from SOLUS2 which has worked flawlessly for the past how ever many years. Not impressed so far!
Marcs_Dad Posted April 6, 2016 Posted April 6, 2016 Hello all, I am also currently migrating to SOLUS3, and experienced a similar problem. You would expect that a (404) error would indicate a problem at the Capita end. After failing several times to download any of the available packages, and prior to placing yet another support call, I tried the "Open in browser" option. This was successful, until I pointed the browser to "Save as" and pointed the target to my "Update Repository" which is hosted on a remote share. This time I got an error, and a light bulb moment which reminded me that I had only created the remote share with default permissions. A quick review and share permission change and bingo, the downloads are now working. I gave the "Everyone" Group full share permissions, and then gave the computer account hosting the Sims Deployment Service, "write" security permission. The SOLUS3 Deployment Service runs on the host server as a local service, and giving the host server account "write" permission on the remote share gets the job working. To be fair, the Capita SOLUS3 documentation makes this very clear. But as with most things Capita, there seems to be many obstacles to overcome. For example, when I pointed SOLUS3 to the currently used SIMS.ini file on the server, it complained because the entry contained a reference to the "SIMSDotNetDirectory". I removed this, and all seemed well, until that was, I tired to run a system manager database backup the next morning. After removing the DotNet reference, the system manager interface will not load until you put it back. When you put it back of course SOLUS3 complains!!!! This now doubt will involve another support call. Anyway, I hope my experience with this problem helps somebody else. Regards Dave 3
HC_Netman Posted April 6, 2016 Author Posted April 6, 2016 Genius!! Just done this on mine and it is now working. Is there any issue having 'everyone' with full share permissions??? I still cant find this section in the documentation which explains why I didn't do it - must be well hidden! With regards the SIMS.ini file I created a copy of the existing one and stored it in a separate folder. Deleted the bits that Solus didnt like and then told it to use that one. Seems to have worked so far! Thanks again for this solution you are a life saver!
Marcs_Dad Posted April 6, 2016 Posted April 6, 2016 Genius!! Just done this on mine and it is now working. Is there any issue having 'everyone' with full share permissions??? I still cant find this section in the documentation which explains why I didn't do it - must be well hidden! With regards the SIMS.ini file I created a copy of the existing one and stored it in a separate folder. Deleted the bits that Solus didnt like and then told it to use that one. Seems to have worked so far! Thanks again for this solution you are a life saver! No problem, I'm really pleased that it solved your issue as well. I was told in the dim and distant paste that you can give the "Everyone" group full share permission, but control the actual date with the security permissions. No doubt somebody will explain why this is incorrect, but hay ho!. Thanks for your tip about the Sims.ini file. I am going to perform your trick for that one. The Sims.ini file is a mysterious entity, which seems to have differing values on every client that I examine (even though they all work). Regards Dave.
DJ-1701 Posted April 6, 2016 Posted April 6, 2016 No problem, I'm really pleased that it solved your issue as well. I was told in the dim and distant paste that you can give the "Everyone" group full share permission, but control the actual date with the security permissions. No doubt somebody will explain why this is incorrect, but hay ho!. Access permissions are based on a combination of both Share and NTFS permissions (as long as it's on an NTFS formated drive, and in this day and age, I would hope so!). As long as the NTFS are restricted down it should be fine. Though personally I like to use the Authenticated Users group if I do anything like this. 1
Toothpick Posted April 20, 2022 Posted April 20, 2022 (edited) Post number 14 tip resolved our issue. Thanks Steve. Edited April 20, 2022 by Toothpick did not reply to post
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now