SavedZelda Posted March 15, 2016 Posted March 15, 2016 Hi guys, First of all apologies if this is the wrong section, however long-story-short I need a solution for digital display (TV) for my school. We have a Samsung Display which came with Windows XP embedded but had since been upgraded to Windows 7. The original software for the display was MagicInfo Pro by Samsung (before I joined the school). My understanding is that MagicInfo will not work with anything other than XP embedded, however I'm not keen on resurrecting this set-up as it is now extremely dated. Can anyone perhaps recommend a free, easy to use solution for a Digital TV Display? I gave Xibo a go however wasn't too impressed and was a pain to set up. I just need a simple server/client set-up where I can schedule changes etc... Any help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
ITGuyNW Posted March 15, 2016 Posted March 15, 2016 The only alternative I ever looked at for Xibo was https://www.risevision.com/ It seemed alright but I prefer Xibo
Joanne Posted March 15, 2016 Posted March 15, 2016 I have a machine which auto logs on and then a script which automatically plays a playlist fullscreen in windows media player. start wmplayer "C:\Tim Peake Playlist.wpl" /fullscreen You could set the desired video to be on a network share and update said video. I used to use powerpoint and then export as a video. Currently we have a playlist of Tim Peake vids on.
fiza Posted March 15, 2016 Posted March 15, 2016 showpoint is a free option if all you want to do is display powerpoints.
Joanne Posted March 15, 2016 Posted March 15, 2016 My friend over @marsdenprimary has set a solution up using google slides... instructions can be found here: https://marsdenprimary-my.sharepoint.com/personal/j_stansfield_marsden_lancs_sch_uk/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=NscALpob5da%2bpa4eLnjfeVWTkhqxkAk8xPXq%2bDzrhrM%3d&docid=020ca222e2d3247d4aa5811d4c6726bce 1
marsdenprimary Posted March 15, 2016 Posted March 15, 2016 My friend over @marsdenprimary has set a solution up using google slides... instructions can be found here: https://marsdenprimary-my.sharepoint.com/personal/j_stansfield_marsden_lancs_sch_uk/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=NscALpob5da%2bpa4eLnjfeVWTkhqxkAk8xPXq%2bDzrhrM%3d&docid=020ca222e2d3247d4aa5811d4c6726bce Cheers Joanne! This was my next stop on the road to helping folk so thanks for posting, hopefully it will help! 😁 x 1
LeMarchand Posted March 15, 2016 Posted March 15, 2016 showpoint is a free option if all you want to do is display powerpoints. This is what's in use at one of my schools. Xibo is great, but not easy for non technical peeps to update. With Showpoint they just bung a PowerPoint in a specific folder and it updates automatically.
marsdenprimary Posted March 15, 2016 Posted March 15, 2016 This is what's in use at one of my schools. Xibo is great, but not easy for non technical peeps to update. With Showpoint they just bung a PowerPoint in a specific folder and it updates automatically. Just to add does this require the signage machine to be joined to the domain?
LeMarchand Posted March 15, 2016 Posted March 15, 2016 Just to add does this require the signage machine to be joined to the domain? It would be easier to have a domain joined machine, but if not then the folder that Showpoint checks can be a local one. It would mean that someone needs physical access to the machine to change the PowerPoint, though.
marsdenprimary Posted March 15, 2016 Posted March 15, 2016 It's good but I wanted to save the hassle of having to join machines to the domain so I came up with the cloud based solution which, so far, works flawlessly and needs no local access after initial setup.
LeMarchand Posted March 15, 2016 Posted March 15, 2016 It's good but I wanted to save the hassle of having to join machines to the domain so I came up with the cloud based solution which, so far, works flawlessly and needs no local access after initial setup. Not knocking your work - just saying what we use. Not tried it on ShowPoint, but it may be possible to "look" in a web folder. That said, it's quite an achievement that the lady who provides the PowerPoints saves them in the correct shared folder! The school's cloud solution isn't the easiest to use so, for us, a more traditional/physical solution works well. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now