kennysarmy Posted March 8, 2016 Posted March 8, 2016 As title, what's the best way to test Windows 10? Install to a physical workstation or do it in a virtual environment? Am thinking of setting up a new PC with Windows 10 and RSAT and installing Academic VMware Workstation Pro 12 so I can do all the testing on virtual PC's but use the physical host to edit the GPO's. Is that a good route to go?
Joanne Posted March 8, 2016 Posted March 8, 2016 I've got a virtual machine I'm testing on my machine atm. Massive advice which I didn't know... use the Windows 10 LTSB install media... then you don't get any of the crappy apps like Candy Crush! I'm just messing about with installing software with group policy.
Michael Posted March 8, 2016 Posted March 8, 2016 I've always done testing side by side with two physical devices. Call me old fashioned, but it works, and removes any potential problems with virtualising. Once you have a working setup, then by all means have a virtualised instance.
kennysarmy Posted March 9, 2016 Author Posted March 9, 2016 I've always done testing side by side with two physical devices. Call me old fashioned, but it works, and removes any potential problems with virtualising. Once you have a working setup, then by all means have a virtualised instance. Hi, I presume when you say side by side, you mean one machine with the admin tools on and one the client?
Michael Posted March 9, 2016 Posted March 9, 2016 Hi, I presume when you say side by side, you mean one machine with the admin tools on and one the client? Yes
timbo343 Posted March 10, 2016 Posted March 10, 2016 (edited) Side by side and on VM. We have VMs now that we can use without setting up specific machines for images. Upload the golden images to WDS/MDT, add all the drivers required to MDT and away we go. We use VirtualBox to set them.up with VHD images of the VMs. With the physical machines, we deploy the image to them to see if they work. I havent put the Win10 GPOs on the domain yet so just testing with the local group policy settings. We are creating an educational and LTSB image. So far, 2 companies i have spoken to have said use LTSB and asked for reasons. Others werent sure what was best to deploy. Edited March 10, 2016 by timbo343 1
kennysarmy Posted March 11, 2016 Author Posted March 11, 2016 Yesterday I installed the Windows ADK for Windows 10, Version 1511 and MDT 2013 Update 2 on to my WDS Server (2012 R2) I may get a decent fast new physical PC to put Windows 10 on, it will be my PC from which to run the Remote Server Tools and then do as you've suggested and run up some VM's using VirtualBox - but if I want the technicians to have a play (I mean testing) of any images - just do it to a physical client...
Arthur Posted March 11, 2016 Posted March 11, 2016 run up some VMs using VirtualBox Hyper-V is included with Windows 10 Pro, Education and Enterprise by the way. It will be faster than VirtualBox. 1
clockend25 Posted March 11, 2016 Posted March 11, 2016 I've set up three VMs on a spare Hyper-V host to test MDT builds and sort out working environments for curriculum clients, staff laptops, and admin machines. I'm just doing little bits when I get a chance and documenting it as I go.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now