Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

So I've created my reference image which included Office Professional Plus 2013 with SP1 which worked great in our test setup but wasn't activated. We didn't worry about this at the time as we knew we would be updating our KMS server with the VAMT 3.1. So during the holidays we've been merrily imaging all 500+ machines thinking all we had to do was setup the KMS server and input our KMS key and it would activate ok.

 

As it turns out you can't use a KMS key on a copy of "Office Professional Plus 2013 with SP1".... you can only use a KMS key on "Office Professional Plus 2013", activate it and then apply "SP1" afterwards. We've been onto MS this morning who are the ones that have told us all the above and can't believe they would offer a download on their VLSC site with keys associated with it but you can't use it.

 

I'm posting here in desperation looking for a different answer or possible solution.

 

Thanks

 

Ben

Posted (edited)

I know it is of no help, I'd get a second opinion if possible.

 

I just can't believe MS sometimes, do they really think you are going to Re-Image and then install SP1 on multiple computers afterwards, they are seriously losing the Plot. No wonder people are looking at alternatives.

 

I had a KMS query a few months back and tried to speak to the VLSC team, they even asked me what KMS stood for????

 

Don't worry MS I will take a snapshot of the VM and see what happens.

Edited by Davit2005
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Hi,

 

My understanding is that SP1 is not slipstreamed in Office 2013 found on VLSC site, however this should not have any impact on the KMS activation, you can activate Office 2013 SP1 the same way as Office 2013. So the second paragraph as far as I understand is not true.

 

Do you have a KMS Host for Office 2013 setup now? because of course a KMS Host for 2010 will not activate 2013.

 

Can you PM me the person whom you spoke to?

 

Can you ensure that you are using Office 2013 SP1 (*.MSI) and you have NOT used the C2R version? (Click To Run) C2R should not be on the VSLC site as far as I am aware but just want to make sure as C2R won't activate via KMS.

 

Thanks

 

James.

Edited by EduTech
  • Thanks 1
Posted

Seems OK here, we have Office 2013 with SP1 (from VLSC) deployed as part of our OSD task sequence in SCCM and it seems to be activating via KMS fine.

 

We did have an issue where Lync 2013 and OneDrive for Business are not installed, which needed an updated custom MSP file using a new version of OCT. More info here - http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/archive/2014/03/21/lync-2013-and-onedrive-for-business-are-not-installed-when-installing-office-2013-with-service-pack-1.aspx

  • Thanks 2
Posted (edited)
Hi,

 

My understanding is that SP1 is not slipstreamed in Office 2013 found on VLSC site, however this should not have any impact on the KMS activation, you can activate Office 2013 SP1 the same way as Office 2013. So the second paragraph as far as I understand is not true.

 

Do you have a KMS Host for Office 2013 setup now? because of course a KMS Host for 2010 will not activate 2013.

 

Can you PM me the person whom you spoke to?

 

Can you ensure that you are using Office 2013 SP1 (*.MSI) and you have NOT used the C2R version? (Click To Run) C2R should not be on the VSLC site as far as I am aware but just want to make sure as C2R won't activate via KMS.

 

Thanks

 

James.

 

I didn't get a name from the chap I spoke to but it was just the standard MS VLST 0800 917 9016 number. I definitely downloaded the .iso from the VSLC and imported that into MDT 2013 to create our reference image which is no different than when I created our Office 2010 image and that worked fine.

 

Our KMS host has only just been setup and its activating Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 clients just fine.

Edited by jaminben
Posted (edited)
Seems OK here, we have Office 2013 with SP1 (from VLSC) deployed as part of our OSD task sequence in SCCM and it seems to be activating via KMS fine.

 

We did have an issue where Lync 2013 and OneDrive for Business are not installed, which needed an updated custom MSP file using a new version of OCT. More info here - Lync 2013 and OneDrive for Business are not installed when installing Office 2013 with Service Pack 1 - Office Deployment Support Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

 

I created ours with MDT 2013 rather than SCCM but I don't see that being any different.

Edited by jaminben
Posted
We've installed 500+ copies of Office 2013 SP1 this Summer (SP1 built into the ISO I downloaded) and it's activating against KMS (along with Office 2010 and Windows 7; hosted on Server 2008 R2). Can you use VAMT to push out the KMS key again (using the built-in KMS keys) in case it's wrong in the image?
  • Thanks 1
Posted
I didn't get a name from the chap I spoke to but it was just the standard MS VLST 0800 917 9016 number. I definitely downloaded the .iso from the VSLC and imported that into MDT 2013 to create our reference image which is no different than when I created our Office 2010 image and that worked fine.

 

Our KMS host has only just been setup and its activating Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 clients just fine.

 

It would of been good if you had a name ;-) but never the less the statement you have stated is completely incorrect. If you have a problem, it's something else and not related to that statement what so ever.

 

James.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
Good to hear that it is a red hearing. KMS is totally out of control though, have had two sites where KMS has completely broken down when both Windows 7 and 8.1 are being activated by KMS. Had no end of issues and fully pushed the site to 8.1 and 2013 to get away from it.
  • Thanks 1
Posted

Ok panic over.... we've reinstalled and re-entered our keys and its just started to work. WOW that was a massive worry for about 2 hours and I can't believe M$ give out information like that.

 

Thanks to everyone who posted.... its massively appreciated :)

  • Thanks 1
Posted
Ok panic over.... we've reinstalled and re-entered our keys and its just started to work. WOW that was a massive worry for about 2 hours and I can't believe M$ give out information like that.

 

Thanks to everyone who posted.... its massively appreciated :)

 

Microsoft don't give out information just like that, hence I am interested to know whom you spoke to. If you didn't get any kind of SR Number / Person Name then not much we can do, I am sorry though for the bad information you had from a service representative, but glad things have all been sorted now.

 

Let me know if I can do anything else.

 

Thanks

James.

Posted (edited)
Microsoft don't give out information just like that, hence I am interested to know whom you spoke to. If you didn't get any kind of SR Number / Person Name then not much we can do, I am sorry though for the bad information you had from a service representative, but glad things have all been sorted now.

 

Let me know if I can do anything else.

 

Thanks

James.

@EduTech Ever tried getting information about MultiPoint server, no one anywhere knows what it is let alone where to direct you apart from away from them. Even the Facebook group will just direct you to the generic support page. Hate to tell you this but as far as I can tell MS simply does not support certain products especially in markets they don't seem to care about, any information is a misdirect in the hopes you'll go away. USB3 is so new anyway, why would you support it at all. :(

Edited by SYNACK
Posted

Until you hit the requisite count of 5 on the kms, I have found VAMT will often give unhelpful errors. You *always* seem to need more than the 25/5 for windows/office activation because the client ID doesn't always seem to get reset when syspreppng :|

 

When testing I use slmgr and OSPP to see what the errors are (like insufficient count, which VAMT seems to have issues with sometimes). There is also a really handy KMS client emulator out there to increase kms client counts until the KMS key activates.

 

And as for MS support, It was the same for UAG in 2010 :/ No UK support for it so I had to wait until silly times to call. and the issue I had in the end was never fixed. You couldn't publish a farm with it. Helpfully I was told they would remove the reference to it being possible in the documentation instead of fixing it. Still, UAG is dead now and I haven't had to use it since :p

Posted
@EduTech Ever tried getting information about MultiPoint server, no one anywhere knows what it is let alone where to direct you apart from away from them. Even the Facebook group will just direct you to the generic support page. Hate to tell you this but as far as I can tell MS simply does not support certain products especially in markets they don't seem to care about, any information is a misdirect in the hopes you'll go away. USB3 is so new anyway, why would you support it at all. :(

 

I know a few people whom I believe look after Multipoint Server. I for sure can investigate as to what the deal is in terms of support if you want. Do you have problems at the moment with the product itself? I am not sure of the longevity of it at the moment if I am honest but I can reach out to folk if you want. Drop me a PM if you like.

@DMcCoy - We do have folk in the UK whom look after UAG Support so interesting that was the case, In fact these folk now look after the new Web Application Proxy Aspect of things which replaces some of the UAG features.

 

James.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...