Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello

 

We are in the process of setting up moodle. I need some help setting it up, at present I do not want to install it on any of the servers incase it crashes it.

 

What do I need to install Moodle on a server?

 

I have read the moodle.docs website and that makes sod all sense to me :?

 

Can anybody help me?

Posted

For a basic moodle install on a windows server.

 

1. Download WAMP and install. This will install all the basic componants you need to run Moodle.

 

2. Download and extract the moodle files to the 'www' directory within the WAMP program folder. I'd suggest creating a subfolder called moodle, unless it's going to be the only product installed on the webserver.

 

3. Point your web browser at http://localhost/ (or http://localhost/moodle if you used a subfolder) This will display the moodle installation wizard which you can follow though to get moodle up and running.

 

This is the very basic way of getting it up and running, on a production server you'll want to tweek it and secure the webserver a bit further, but it will give you a working moodle.

 

For testing purposes, you can do this on a normal windows XP box, but I'd recommend a proper server for a live site.

 

Mike.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
For a basic moodle install on a windows server.

 

1. Download WAMP and install. This will install all the basic componants you need to run Moodle.

 

2. Download and extract the moodle files to the 'www' directory within the WAMP program folder. I'd suggest creating a subfolder called moodle, unless it's going to be the only product installed on the webserver.

 

3. Point your web browser at localhost/ (or localhost/moodle if you used a subfolder) This will display the moodle installation wizard which you can follow though to get moodle up and running.

 

This is the very basic way of getting it up and running, on a production server you'll want to tweek it and secure the webserver a bit further, but it will give you a working moodle.

 

For testing purposes, you can do this on a normal windows XP box, but I'd recommend a proper server for a live site.

 

Mike.

 

Thanks Mike. I am going to install Windows 2003 Server on a new machine tomorrow, and then try this WAMP thing. How should I look at securing it?

Posted

Download the full Generic Package. You do not need to install "WAMP".

 

the package includes all install files for everthing click below:

 

http://download.moodle.org/

 

Extract all files. Goto folder. Select the batch file (setup_xampp.bat)

 

this installs apache and Mysql

 

Load the xampp_start.exe (leave open at all times)

 

go to loclhost in your browser.

Posted

I didn't know moodle did a pre-built package! I already had an established webserver here when we setup moodle. I've always use the WAMP package when I setup windows based webservers, as I find it installs everything necessary and no more. XAMPP and other packages all seem to install other un-necessary bits that I then have to delete!

 

Mike.

Posted

..........okay which version should I use, I have looked at the XAMP package, but on the moodle website it states

 

"As mentioned before, XAMPP is not meant for production use but only for developers in a development environment. The way XAMPP is configured is to be open as possible and allowing the developer anything he/she wants. For development environments this is great but in a production environment it could be fatal"

 

does not sound good :?

 

I think I will experiment with WAMP first if that fails then I will have to try something else.

 

firefox_2006.

Posted
If you're linuxly-inclined then you could use Ubuntu server instead of Windows. This will give you performance and security benefits in the long run. And save you the cost of a Windows licence.
Posted
And then just to entertain yourself because it was so easy: apt-get moo

 

gking@offpc06l:/var/log$ aptitude moo
There are no Easter Eggs in this program.
gking@offpc06l:/var/log$ aptitude moo -v
There really are no Easter Eggs in this program.
gking@offpc06l:/var/log$ aptitude moo -vv
Didn't I already tell you that there are no Easter Eggs in this program?
gking@offpc06l:/var/log$ aptitude moo -vvv
Stop it!
gking@offpc06l:/var/log$ aptitude moo -vvvv
Okay, okay, if I give you an Easter Egg, will you go away?
gking@offpc06l:/var/log$ aptitude moo -vvvvv
All right, you win.

                              /----\
                      -------/      \
                     /               \
                    /                |
  -----------------/                  --------\
  ----------------------------------------------
gking@offpc06l:/var/log$ aptitude moo -vvvvvv
What is it?  It's an elephant being eaten by a snake, of course.

 

;-)

Posted

Never used Ubuntu........ :?

Have read on another post that someone was having performance issues on that platform.

 

I am trying to setup Win server 2003 on a workstation, then look at installing this WAMP package.......see how that goes.........getting pressure now from teacher to get it on a.s.a.p......

 

all fun anyway

 

firefox_2006

  • 5 weeks later...
Posted

Don't mean to hijack the thread i'm thinking about installing moodle myself.

 

Been using Ubuntu as a client for a while and building up the confidence with the command line to try the server version, is it possible to run the server with a GUI to start with to make life easier.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...