Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Feeling like I'm finally getting on top of things


Recommended Posts

Posted

With all the FFS's of the past year along with big question marks hanging over my head re: some of the scripting I've been trying I have to say I'm finally starting to feeling like I'm getting on top of it all

 

*waits for world to fall in on head*

 

I started off this new year with a whole load of preparation and a OneNote TODO list as long as my arm which took some getting compiled but along with a new "Moaning book" for IT problems, it seems staff are actually getting their problems down and and getting them communicated and using IT properly for once.

 

Course, it helps that the headteachers are now all of the opinion that a few quid saved initially is a few hundred quid wasted later on, so I have free-er reign to sort problems properly instead of "patch" jobs... (No, you can't have them, nor can I clone them.... I did ask :))

 

All this in the context of my fiance having two HMI inspections this week, needing multiple printers up and running and extreme disaster recovery plans in case Murphy kicks into gear... I have to say, feeling rather pleased :)

Posted

Nice to hear someone feeling that they are getting somewhere

 

I hope *no one* comes up and tells you that you shouldn't be pleased with yourself as you are just doing your job!!

 

I wish I could get rid of 'corridor requests' but as I am only in each school for a few hours a day, people tend to get excited when they see me and say: "could you just..."

 

Great stuff though...keep it going!

Posted
I wish I could get rid of 'corridor requests'..

 

I solved this one by only venturing out of the server room during lessons, not going in to the staff room at break or at lunch, and wearing my iPod when moving around between suites :-)

Posted

I would love to be invisible but I haven't got a server room, just a little space in the corner of one of the IT rooms. I am also highly visible even from a distance (see hair colour of avatar) and the teachers have been known to run shrieking towards me across the playground if they catch sight of me.

You'd think that they would run away, but no!

Posted
I would love to be invisible but I haven't got a server room, just a little space in the corner of one of the IT rooms. I am also highly visible even from a distance (see hair colour of avatar) and the teachers have been known to run shrieking towards me across the playground if they catch sight of me.

You'd think that they would run away, but no!

 

Lol, I am also highly visible from a distance being 6'7" :p

Posted
And for those people who aren't tall or have different coloured hair; it would be possible to craft a downward-pointing arrow and a large "IT Support Here" sign to a brightly-coloured helmet which you can wear. With an EduGeek sticker on the front, of course ;)
Posted

It could be worse _BAT_. What would happen if you were 6.7" tall with WITCHES awesome hair colour?

 

(I'm not being offensive to WITCH here about hair colour so please don't take it as so).

 

On non-uniform days here I were a Geek T-Shirt with "No I will not fix your computer" written across the front.

 

And to put the post back on topic, my list was small to do this summer holiday, but one of MY big goals was to get my head around RIS and get a new image setup and put out to the school. I just need to put it out to the school, but finding a time to do it now is going to be tough. :(

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...