Stuart_C Posted May 16, 2013 Posted May 16, 2013 Does anyone else find this a little ropey? Sometimes it doens't map printers in or they appear and vanish. Sometimes (or on some specfic printers) it doesn't pick up that there is a local printer and sets a network one as default. It just seem off and not as reliable as I'd want
sonofsanta Posted May 16, 2013 Posted May 16, 2013 Indeed. You can find several of my rants on this topic if you search round here. It worked 98% of the time for me, but unfortunately 98% * 450 computers * 5 periods of logging in = around 45 logins a day without printers. I went to scripting in the end, which has proven itself thoroughly reliable and quicker as well.
sparkeh Posted May 16, 2013 Posted May 16, 2013 Hmm works flawlessly here. And I've probably just cursed it and the printers are now all on fire or something...
chazzy2501 Posted May 16, 2013 Posted May 16, 2013 Agreed! I've reverted to using the older GPO method. One nice advantage is you don't need to add the pushprinter.exe anymore.
Duke5A Posted May 16, 2013 Posted May 16, 2013 If I had a nickle for every time GPP printer deployment caused me or somebody else grief I would be able to retire. I tried it and found it to be inconsistent like much of everyone here has. I went back to VB script and never looked back. VB Script for network printer deployment - Blogs - EduGeek.net
Michael Posted May 16, 2013 Posted May 16, 2013 I always use GPO to deploy printers rather than GPP. As above with Win 7 you don't need pushprinterconnections.exe anymore, but you do if you use XP clients as part of the same policy. GPP is OK, but I've found GPO is cleaner when it comes to deleting printers or upgrading drivers. As for setting the default printer using GPO, I do use a GPP regedit for this: Firstly set the printer as default you require in Devices and Printers. Then open up regedit and navigate to: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Double click 'Device' and copy/paste this into your GPP. For example: \\SERVERNAME\Photocopier,winspool,Ne02:
MYK-IT Posted May 16, 2013 Posted May 16, 2013 Yes, sometimes a bit hit and miss here, although we have since deployed HotFix KB2748246 to our Windows 7 clients and the problem has been resolved. "The Specified port is unknown" error message when you use GPP to deploy printers to a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now