Poll: Are you staying with LLN?

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Yorkshire & Humberside Grid for Learning (YHGfL) Thread, Leeds Learning Network in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Just wanted to get a quick idea as i know there are a few Techs on here from Leeds. Who ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Question Leeds Learning Network

Just wanted to get a quick idea as i know there are a few Techs on here from Leeds.

Who is Leaving and who is staying?

EDIT: Just wanted to say the poll is anonymous and you don't have to post a reply.
    Last edited by Marshall_IT; 13th March 2013 at 04:18 PM.

Thank Post
    i work in leeds but in several schools and im pushing them towards anyone else. LLN have proved time and time again they dont know what they are doing, dont answer e-mails, dont call back when they say they will and generally make life a pita if you ever have to deal with them. Even something as simple as requesting they link the curric and admin networks (which they have a config file for the ciscos) can be a pain ive had it before where they have wanted to charge the school, wanted the headteacher to write to them they arnt even consistent. The recent issues where logons randomly diddnt happen etc and the insistance on logons rather than say using a smoothwall etc is antiquated and problamatic esp for touch devices.

Their replacement plan is long on good ideas but they dont seem to have a clue how to get there (like me saying im going to go to the moon its technically possible but its just not going to happen)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I must say it seems like they want to shoot themselves in the foot with this latest string of service instability, but maybe that's c(r)apita getting the hump a little also, or maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

LLN said they have had 145 returns on the 'expression of interest' forms, and 141 indicate an interest in the offer. I can see that 50% of those responses are mainly because they want to see the price.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    I must say it seems like they want to shoot themselves in the foot with this latest string of service instability, but maybe that's c(r)apita getting the hump a little also, or maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

LLN said they have had 145 returns on the 'expression of interest' forms, and 141 indicate an interest in the offer. I can see that 50% of those responses are mainly because they want to see the price.
    yup without a price how can anyone express an intrest but it needs to be much cheaper than current as its a rip off

Thank Post
    oh quelle surprise they do some work and now its not working. does anyone there have a clue what they are doing?

Thank Post
    I'm sure you've all seen the proposed pricing by now. Can anyone tell me what I would actually be getting for my £7 per user, per year?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hallb15 View Post
    I'm sure you've all seen the proposed pricing by now. Can anyone tell me what I would actually be getting for my £7 per user, per year?
    from what i can tell (and this is opinion only) they manage the free office 365 email accounts so someone in the school cant just do it in 10 mins

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From what I understood about office 365 is that LLN would set up your domain with users then give you the Admin account details so you can manage it yourself.

The £7...

Thank Post
    Their proposal includes a help desk. The seven pounds per account covers their costs to provide this service. I've been told.

Thank Post
    From what I have looked into we will also be leaving !

They charge too much for a poor service when other companies can eadiky provide a much better service at a cheaper price !

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wroberts View Post
    From what I have looked into we will also be leaving !

They charge too much for a poor service when other companies can eadiky provide a much better service at a cheaper price !
    they cant even now keep to their sla says on the autoresponder we will reply within an hour they havent so far was 2pm yesterday i sent it iirc all i want is some ports opening for target tracker

Thank Post
    I think it's important to remember that most of the issues suffered by schools recently are due to Capitas infrastructure, rather than Leeds learning. However the LLN signed up to, and extended (twice?), a contract with Capita which included a five day SLA on firewall changes.

Going forward Capita are not involved, but I'm yet to see a SLA from ICT4Leeds.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    I think it's important to remember that most of the issues suffered by schools recently are due to Capitas infrastructure, rather than Leeds learning. However the LLN signed up to, and extended (twice?), a contract with Capita which included a five day SLA on firewall changes.

Going forward Capita are not involved, but I'm yet to see a SLA from ICT4Leeds.
    well theyve sent stuff out saying schools need to sign up for a 4 year contract starting in april by the 24th of may this year. I will see if i can get a look at the paperwork they have sent heads but i will be suggesting schools tell them to take a hike esp as there is no get out clause i believe and its the same infrastructure for the next 2 1/2 years.

finally got an email after 24 hours saying its been passed to 2nd line

Thank Post
    As I understand it, the only infrastructure continuing to be utilised after 31st March will be the LLNs Ja.net connection through Civic Hall. The biggest question about that is how big is the pipe? Virgin hope to be awarded the contract to provide Internet access to the LLN PSN network after current contract on the civic connection expires.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    As I understand it, the only infrastructure continuing to be utilised after 31st March will be the LLNs Ja.net connection through Civic Hall. The biggest question about that is how big is the pipe? Virgin hope to be awarded the contract to provide Internet access to the LLN PSN network after current contract on the civic connection expires.
    mt understanding was the cables from you to highschool to wherever are staying as they are for 2.5 years

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast