+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Conficker virus - advice needed in Technical; Hi, we moved to Server 2008 R2 over the summer, and broadly speaking it's been a triumph. However, we appear ...
    JMB

Thank Post

Conficker virus - advice needed

Hi, we moved to Server 2008 R2 over the summer, and broadly speaking it's been a triumph. However, we appear to have a Conficker infestation. It seems to be disabling sound and network services, which is deeply irritating. I've tried McAfee, our standard AV, which hasn't detected anything. And I've downloaded the MS Malicious Tool, which also finds nothing. I know it's there though! Can anyone recommend a tool or a means to get rid of this little beast once and for all? Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Disable Autorun for all devices (you can do this with GPO) and for the time it takes to scan a machine, you may as well re-image it as new. It's primarily the Autoplay function in Windows that it exploits.

Even with Conficker removed, it creates a lot of damage with system files.

Thank Post
    The MS tool normally finds it quite well, what's making you sure it's Conficker?

Isolate, scan, patch, scan, reconnect to clean LAN job.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here's the MS article on the subject.

Computer Worms - Conficker | Microsoft Security

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Download the KK tool from the KAV site - that's quite good at getting rid of it + I have this running at logon at the moment for PCs that don't have KAV or MSE installed. Feel free to change it and use it - [ may I suggest you compile it first into a .exe and have it running at logon ]

Code:
    ; Language:        	English
    ; Platform:        	WinXP
    ; Author:          	Matt 
    ; Script Function: 	Run kk.exe in silent mode at logon
    ; Version:			1
    ; Date:				June 2011

If FileExists('c:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 for Windows Workstations MP4\avp.exe') Then
    	Exit
    ElseIf FileExists('c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MsMpEng.exe') Then
    	Exit
    Else
    	Run(@LogonServer & "\netlogon\kk.exe -f -s -z -y -x -t -j", "")
    EndIf
    Exit
    Forgot to say it's an AutoIT script but could easily be ported to say powershell or something.

KK can be DLed from:

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq?cha...&qid=208279973
    Last edited by mattx; 23rd September 2011 at 01:23 PM.

Thank Post
    I don’t use McAfee but as they have a free conficker detection tool (McAfee Conficker Detection Tool | McAfee Labs) then your AV software should detect it if its there. If your computers are kept up to date then conficker shouldn’t be able to infect them as Microsoft released a patch for it.

Were all your workstations reimaged when you upgraded the servers? I had problems with a new image when I used the latest sound drivers and had to use an earlier driver or the sound would stop working.

If you want to try another tool give sophos a go but it sounds like something else could be causing your problem (Conficker Removal Tool | Conficker Virus Removal | Sophos Free Tools).

Thank Post
    There's a Microsoft tech article with some decent advice on this. Main thing is disabling autorun and I seem to recall restricting access to the system service, as it spreads by creating scheduled tasks.

Real pain when we had it, so good luck.

Thank Post
    The most effective tool we found is cfremover cfremover.exe although this was about 18 months ago. All other tools seemed quite ineffective at the time but using that eradicated it for us.

We also created a folder called autorun.inf on all server hard drives as someone once told me that this helps. Not sure whether it's true or not but we have been Conficker free since then!

JMB

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone, really appreciate such a swift response! I should add some more detail...

ToyHeartsFan, you asked something specifically - yes, we worked from a completely clean image. Set up a PC with a clean install of XP SP3, installed all our standard software (Office, etc.), then took an image and used sysprep to push that out to all the other machines. From there we just updated drivers etc. on an ad hoc basis.

I've got a fully updated McAfee, which hasn't found anything. Have also tried the MS tool described above (found nothing) and the KK program suggested above (also drew a blank). I'll give the McAfee conficker tool and the Sophos ones a try.

It's very odd. Boot a PC (any PC) and everything's fine. Leave it on for any length of time without logging in, and when you try to log in you get a local profile and no network access. Likewise, if a PC is logged in and left for a while, you lose your network AND the sound stops working. And yet, although the sound stops working, when you shut Windows down, you get all the system sounds.

Puzzler! I have someone from the council's IT come and take a look (they helped with the server install) and he was the one who determined the Conficker.

Thank Post
    Make sure that the XP3 service patch has been installed: Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Security Update for Windows XP (KB958644)

Thank Post
    Doesn't sound like Conficker. Conficker spreads by exploiting the ADMIN share that is created by default on Windows boxes that are joined to a domain with poorly secured user accounts that have created when building the inital image (stupid mistake on our part), by using scheduled tasks and also by memory stick (as autorun.ini I think). You'll know it's conficker if you have AT tasks in your scheduled tasks list on the infected machines.

• Disable autorun via GPO
    • Disable USB access
    • Check your firewall policy is configured securely

We have only just re-enabled USB. If you can afford to take your network offline and reimage everything then I'd say do that. Like I said though, your virus doesn't sound like Conficker although there may well be another variant or two that I've not come across.

JMB

Thank Post
    I've run the McAfee tool and it's searched the network; only 3 PCs are infected, and actually none of these are the ones that present with network/sound issues. But the sound/network services on many of the PCs do spontaneously stop. They can be restarted, of course, but not by a "civilian" user! So, if Conficker isn't behind these problems, it makes me wonder what is!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    drivers?

JMB

Thank Post
    We have considered reinstalling all the drivers, but surely if it was a driver issue, the sound/LAN wouldn't work full stop. As it stands, it all works, but the respective services stop spontaneously...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    drivers?
    +1 to this

Also, what about a software conflict of some sort? We have Securus on our machines to help monitor activity on t'internet and to scan for any inappropriate words typed into documents the only problem is that Adobe Reader X doesn't get on well with it so we have to install version 9.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast