+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Starter Edition Problems Help Needed! in Technical; haha sorry maybe i should read the whole lot before commenting haha...
  1. #16
    Ryno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    122
    Thank Post
    36
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    haha sorry maybe i should read the whole lot before commenting haha

  2. Thanks to Ryno from:

    CPLTD (27th November 2009)

  3. #17

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,262
    Thank Post
    1,670
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,464 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    451
    simon is there a chance you can post a pic up of the error?

  4. #18

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,070
    Thank Post
    1,404
    Thanked 652 Times in 507 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    simon is there a chance you can post a pic up of the error?
    its simple really fella the netbook is stating there is 1GB of ram installed when there is a 2GB stick fitted

  5. #19

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,262
    Thank Post
    1,670
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,464 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    451
    not being funny, but is there a way that it could actually be a duff stick?

  6. #20

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,070
    Thank Post
    1,404
    Thanked 652 Times in 507 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    not being funny, but is there a way that it could actually be a duff stick?
    nope have tried the stick in another unit bud

  7. #21

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,074
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 937 Times in 731 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    275
    What does it say in the BIOS fella? does it show the 2gb there?

  8. #22
    dalsoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    547
    Thank Post
    190
    Thanked 108 Times in 80 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Update the bios if it needs it. Check that the board actually takes 2GB as I know some machines are limited in RAM. Third, send back under warranty for replacement

    Oh and is the bios stating 2gb or 1gb? You say the 1gb is detected only but are you seeing this in the OS or in the bios? Check both. Also worth checking the bios options to see if there is something that is limiting the ram. If you have no joy with any potential settings, reset bios to defaults/safe settings/optimized etc and see if that affects.

    As i said though i would check for an updated bios off the net first. Could be a known issue? Check the support section on net for this netbook or user forums set up for it. My old HP mini had a user blog site set up where people posted hacks and tips etc..

  9. #23

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    544
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 73 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    I think although i'm not 100% certain that windows 7 starter edition is limited to 1gb RAM.

  10. #24

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,070
    Thank Post
    1,404
    Thanked 652 Times in 507 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    I think although i'm not 100% certain that windows 7 starter edition is limited to 1gb RAM.
    nope 2GB bud

    Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

  11. #25

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,897
    Thank Post
    3,420
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Rep Power
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    That is only the limitation for that version of windows - I think the above comment was in ref to the limit of the hardware ie the max that the hardware supports ( in this case your netbook ) because of what the motherboard or chipset will physically support

  12. #26

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,070
    Thank Post
    1,404
    Thanked 652 Times in 507 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    That is only the limitation for that version of windows - I think the above comment was in ref to the limit of the hardware ie the max that the hardware supports ( in this case your netbook ) because of what the motherboard or chipset will physically support
    the comment was in refrence to the os capabilities fella, i have already established that the hardware is capable of holding the memory I brought ,

  13. #27

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,897
    Thank Post
    3,420
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Rep Power
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    the comment was in refrence to the os capabilities fella, i have already established that the hardware is capable of holding the memory I brought ,
    Computer memory upgrades for ASUS Eee PC 1005HA Netbook from Crucial.com


    Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-6400 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.

    As for the OS side of things there are registry hacks to get around that - as there was with vista to stop it from only allowing a certain amount of ram

  14. #28

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,070
    Thank Post
    1,404
    Thanked 652 Times in 507 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Computer memory upgrades for ASUS Eee PC 1005HA Netbook from Crucial.com


    Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-6400 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.

    As for the OS side of things there are registry hacks to get around that - as there was with vista to stop it from only allowing a certain amount of ram
    dude arent you listening, I said windows 7 starter edition CAN take a 2GB module for which I have and its in but the OS is only showing 1GB installed, fella read the thread properly no hacks are needed!!

  15. #29

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,897
    Thank Post
    3,420
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Rep Power
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    dude arent you listening, I said windows 7 starter edition CAN take a 2GB module for which I have and its in but the OS is only showing 1GB installed, fella read the thread properly no hacks are needed!!
    I am reading the thread - on the crucial website as posted above

    2gb per memory slot

    2 slots * 2 gb memory modules = 4gb

    Windows 7 starter edition is limiting you to 2gb

    I know its for windows vista but am guessing they have done something similiar to windows 7 starter edition

    Hack your Windows Vista 32 bits to address 4GB or more of RAM - Kartones Blog

    Patch Vista’s Kernel to Address more than 4 GB of Memory | RemkoWeijnen.nl

    So in theory and to conclude - if you wanted to go with 4 gb with windows 7 starter am sure it wouldn't be too complex to establish what they have done to restrict it if you wanted to go down that path - that was the only reason I am posting the above and as stated I am reading.

    As for why its not detecting it I would guess it would be due to as stated above because it needs a firmware / bios update possibly if not then I would give asus a ring and ask.

  16. #30

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,070
    Thank Post
    1,404
    Thanked 652 Times in 507 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I am reading the thread - on the crucial website as posted above

    2gb per memory slot

    2 slots * 2 gb memory modules = 4gb

    Windows 7 starter edition is limiting you to 2gb

    I know its for windows vista but am guessing they have done something similiar to windows 7 starter edition

    Hack your Windows Vista 32 bits to address 4GB or more of RAM - Kartones Blog

    Patch Vista’s Kernel to Address more than 4 GB of Memory | RemkoWeijnen.nl

    So in theory and to conclude - if you wanted to go with 4 gb with windows 7 starter am sure it wouldn't be too complex to establish what they have done to restrict it if you wanted to go down that path - that was the only reason I am posting the above and as stated I am reading.

    As for why its not detecting it I would guess it would be due to as stated above because it needs a firmware / bios update possibly if not then I would give asus a ring and ask.

    if you are reading the thread properly you would know that no1 im only upgrading from 1GB to 2GB and no2 that there is 1 slot on the board not 2

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Install media for Windows XP Tablet Edition
    By dhicks in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13th September 2012, 10:05 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 7th October 2009, 03:07 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd October 2009, 11:07 PM
  4. Anyone else having problems with AVG Network Edition?
    By AngryTechnician in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th January 2009, 11:22 AM
  5. Windows 2000 Small Business Edition CALs
    By gary_b2008 in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd November 2008, 12:21 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •