+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, SCCM Help! OSD Deployments to unknown computers in Technical; Hi All I am trying to work my head around SCCM at the minute. So far I have a good ...
    Thank Post

Talking SCCM Help! OSD Deployments to unknown computers

Hi All

I am trying to work my head around SCCM at the minute. So far I have a good grasp of the basics and have made a reference image and deployed it out. I would like some advice on how to deploy to unknown computers using R3 SCCM 2007.

Usually we just use MDT and during the initial screen it prompts for a machine name as per our customsettings file. We then name it according to printed asset stickers we already have, so naming them as the bios machine asset number or some other sort of system is out the question. The best solution for us is to be able to name the machine with a prompt after its unboxed and fired off with a pxe build. Just like we do with MDT2012.

The issue is that in SCCM 2007 there seems to be no way to do this. I have set up an image build task sequence as MANDATORY to the Unknown computers container. I was told that if i changed the collection variable on the unknown computers to OSDCOMPUTERNAME and left the other bits blank this would force a prompt for machine name before the task sequence started. This does not appear to happen. I think this does not happen because the task is mandatory (read that on some forum). If i take the mandatory bit away you can't tick the box to enable PXE for the sequence though which means i cant boot to it and start the build! ARGHH!!

Does that make sense to you SCCM experts?

I just want to boot to unknown computers using PXE without pre-populating any machine details and have it run a mandatory task to build the machine. I want it to prompt for the name. Obviously i will have a password set on the build so machines don't get wiped by mistake. That is all that is required for now :P

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know some people have scripts and whatnot that may do this but i just need one with instructions that actually works. Nothing has so far.

Cheers!!

Thank Post
    Hey

Sccm 2007 is a way back for me but have you checked KB2026268?

HTH

Thank Post
    This is what i described already and does not work. I think someone said it is because the advertisement is mandatory. I get to the password bit and type that in and then it just auto goes through and runs the build without asking for the name.

Thank Post
    A quick look back at my notes and we used MDT2010 update 1 with SCCM 2007 to give us familiar options.

Thank Post
    What you're doing is correct (Setting computername during deployment - Troubleshooting, Tools, Hints and Tips - www.windows-noob.com)
    Also, make sure the computer is not in SCCM anywhere - otherwise it will not be treated as an Unknown Computer - and hence will not run the TS / Collection Variable.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

On the link you just supplied he says "but make sure that the Task Sequence is not set to mandatory". This is to advertise a build task to unknown computers via pxe boot. So how can i NOT be making it mandatory as that is the only way you get the little tick box to allow the advertisement to apply to PXE boot. If i untick mandatory it greys out the pxe tickbox.

Thank Post
    Think i was confusing the wake on lan for some reason with pxe. My bad. Will go back and test with non mandatory!! Thanks!

Thank Post
    I use this to set the computer name for an unknown build.

Script to Prompt for System Name in SCCM OSD | t3chn1ck

Thank Post
    Sorry to appear simple but I have never used SCCM for OSD before, only for software deployments.

At the moment the college is using the Computer Association to import MAC addresses and then add the particular PC's to the appropriate collection that will then reference the correct build.
    If I can use the above to prompt for the input of OSDComputerName at PXE build stage, can i also prompt for the input of the appropriate Collection so the PC will get the correct build?

Many thanks in advance.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread