+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Telephone Systems - Recommendations in Technical; Has anybody got any recommendations as to voip Telephone systems? we are going to need to keep multiple old lines ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts

Telephone Systems - Recommendations

Has anybody got any recommendations as to voip Telephone systems? we are going to need to keep multiple old lines (internal) which are connected to our telephone system which is 20+ years old!

We've currently looked at Splicecom Systems and they looked pretty good just need to see if there is any others our there which people use themselves

Thank Post
    We just installed a 150 handset Mitel System over 2 sites with TalkTalk, yes its very good lots of features but not sure that it s worth the £150k they say its is....

Im no phone freak but I do like the Hotdesk function.. it's like a windows roaming profile for phones... you just log in with your extension and PIN code and whatever phone your at becomes yours!
    I have even got Edugeek on the customised xml browser...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    We just installed a 150 handset Mitel System over 2 sites with TalkTalk, yes its very good lots of features but not sure that it s worth the £150k they say its is....
    150k! i thought the one i looked at at 20k was expensive!
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Im no phone freak but I do like the Hotdesk function.. it's like a windows roaming profile for phones... you just log in with your extension and PIN code and whatever phone your at becomes yours!
    I have even got Edugeek on the customised xml browser...
    Yeah the splicecom system would do this

i'll lookup Mitel though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    150k! i thought the one i looked at at 20k was expensive!
    Yeah the splicecom system would do this

i'll lookup Mitel though.
    We actually got it for free... (on paper) but for commercial reasons I can't say anymore on here...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Many big names out there for you, I have used various BT Systems which are great and despite much slagging off of BT at times the systems team are very good. Are you wanting to swap the 20+ year old system or just add an extra bit / system to work with it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Many big names out there for you, I have used various BT Systems which are great and despite much slagging off of BT at times the systems team are very good. Are you wanting to swap the 20+ year old system or just add an extra bit / system to work with it?
    It needs replacing - it has to be rebooted every other week as it crashes. We are looking at moving to VOIP and all new classrooms/offices over the past 3 years have had cat5 run in just terminated on a normal bt faceplate as we can then just repunch then onto a normal box. but we will need to keep existing lines and also handsets aswell in some places.

Thank Post
    Speak to ETS Communications, we have just had another Avaya system installed to support our agile working setup, we have some 7 sites I think now all running various Avaya setups, including a call centre type thing.

Nothing seems to phase them and we have the top guys doing out current install. If you look at their news section 2 of the 3 are us!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you have any knowledge of Linux? Or feel up to doing it yourself with Asterisk/FreePBX?

How big is the system you need? ie. how many lines and extensions?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Do you have any knowledge of Linux? Or feel up to doing it yourself with Asterisk/FreePBX?

How big is the system you need? ie. how many lines and extensions?
    I did look at asterisk but needed 130 extensions plus the added complication of wanting to relocate the current system and and cabling I thought against the Idea - plus i think it would be a system that if i left somebody might struggle to pick it up (as i don't plan on being here for years!)

I'll look at avaya

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My advice is to see the interface used to control the system make sure it is user friendly. We have a Cisco system with Zeacom voice mail the cisco interface is a bit mind bending but the Zeacom is quite good. You want a system that you can come to and easily configure how you want it.

Also have you considered QOS on switches?

Thank Post
    We went down the Elastix route, Asterisk with a more friendly interface and all needed extras added in.

I had never touched VoIP or telephoney before and within 2 months it was fully up and operational on the whole site, and i had lots of fun learning. There is a massive manual you can download for elastix that covers almost everything.

Get an old computer, install Elastix, and softphones and have a play, see if you can get internal calls working and how easy you find it to operate.

For "outside calls" we got an ISDN 30e line installed for £1000, and just rent 8 channels at £14.50 a month each.

Thank Post
    We're using a Zultys system - we've had one in Leeds for >5 years, and our southampton and charlotte offices now also run them.
    Very nice system, very easy to use, bit "windows centric" but completely self contained, and works with a variety of handsets. I'd estimate you'd be looking at maybe 30-40k for that size of system, but thats a bit of guesswork. Happy to show you the UI/chat about it on the phone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Also have you considered QOS on switches?
    Yes - I've recently replaced our core (with a Hp 5406ZL) and most of the edge switches are hp procurve 2610's (less then 18 months) - so should all be up to the job (theres a few which are older but these will be replaced soon)

@tom_newton I will look in zultys but the price we have had for the splicecom system was around 22k which i think is more our price range!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    i think it would be a system that if i left somebody might struggle to pick it up
    It's an open system, though, and there are plenty of consultants available to help on Asterisk systems. There seems to be plenty of places that provide pre-built hardware with support, too.

sdc
    Thank Post
    The Panasonic systems are very good value, and very reliable. Plenty of features available. The KX-TDA range is their IP range, but it's a hybrid system, so will also take non-IP handsets, which can be either proprietary Panasonic (digital) handsets or standard 2-wire (analogue) handsets.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast