+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Exchange 2007 High RAM usage in Technical; Hello, I have recently inherited a network with exchange 2007 running. I have looked at the memory usage and have ...

Thank Post

Exchange 2007 High RAM usage

Hello,
    I have recently inherited a network with exchange 2007 running. I have looked at the memory usage and have noticed it appear to be quite high, it is also running Microsoft forefront protection 2010, what concerns me is there a 3 of the same process FSCtransportscanner and 4 of FSCrealtimescanner. see images attached. I am just wondering if this is normal or not, i have read around and people say it is.

processor.PNG

Exchaneg 2010 memory.PNG

thanks
    Last edited by LukeC; 23rd August 2012 at 01:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Forefront is really heavy, on the system I used it on I cranked it down to max two processes instead. RAM wise its not bad, Exchange loves RAM and will fill the available RAM. The more RAM it has the faster it goes. Depending on how many users it is servicing I'd be tempted to upgrade the RAM in it. 2010 is also a bit more efficient if you are VL customers its free to upgrade.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Forefront is really heavy, on the system I used it on I cranked it down to max two processes instead. RAM wise its not bad, Exchange loves RAM and will fill the available RAM. The more RAM it has the faster it goes. Depending on how many users it is servicing I'd be tempted to upgrade the RAM in it. 2010 is also a bit more efficient if you are VL customers its free to upgrade.
    As Synack says Exchange is like SQL and will just keep eating ram (Store.exe). Exchange 2010 does seem to be better but still is a resource hog! I can't comment of Forefront though as never used it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    As Synack says Exchange is like SQL and will just keep eating ram (Store.exe). Exchange 2010 does seem to be better but still is a resource hog! I can't comment of Forefront though as never used it.
    Yes. Exchange is built just like SQL in that aspect which is why you dont want to run things on a box alongside Exchange (never really could grasp Small Business Server - very inefficient use of resources, althought to admit I did have to deploy it a lot in the private sector).

Exchange and SQL will eat up any available RAM on the system until other programs start to use, then it will scale back to allow that demand. In all honesty, this is what you would want. You would want a system like Exchange/SQL to do this to get the best performance when possible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qcomer View Post
    Yes. Exchange is built just like SQL in that aspect which is why you dont want to run things on a box alongside Exchange (never really could grasp Small Business Server - very inefficient use of resources, althought to admit I did have to deploy it a lot in the private sector).
    Well not for too much longer - Exchange is dropped from 2012

Thank Post
    thank you all.

Thank Post
    I have an Exchange 2010 sever with 10 users and the server crawls - i think SQL is on that server also - it's a nightmare! I think the Management Console takes about 10 minutes to open!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    I have an Exchange 2010 sever with 10 users and the server crawls - i think SQL is on that server also - it's a nightmare! I think the Management Console takes about 10 minutes to open!
    You can thank Powershell for that, all the commands run through the dirty command line PS interpreter so the GUI is a second to third class citizen when it comes to UI. It is funny given that most of the MS users use the GUI that they have prioritised the CLI so heavily and destroyed the GUI experience. 2010 is good despite the rubbishness of the GUI but eeep, talk about refocusing to the exclusion of everything else, thanks Balmer.

Thank Post
    Limiting Exchange 2010 DatabaseCache | EighTwOne (821)

and to get out of the console being slow, install it on your workstation instead, from Exchange's install media.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread