+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Abacus Evolve $%^**(&()**) and some other rude words in Technical; Originally Posted by chrbb Accepted all defaults and didn't have to set permissions either. Everyone's using it and no one's ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Accepted all defaults and didn't have to set permissions either. Everyone's using it and no one's complained yet! Vanilla network? One solution would be to make a user a poweruser or local admin of that machine to see if it makes a difference, at least you'll know it is permissions and not something wierd gone astray with the software.
    Thanks. I'll try that with my test teacher. It is a vanilla Server 2003 network. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling on the Win2k machine, and still no good.

Thank Post
    I made the teacher a power user on the local machine. Still no good. Will try with administrator.

However, I have found that the problem isn't with the ITRs themselves, or with permissions on the Easiteach software. I copied the ITR folder to a network share, and the teacher can get this up and running no problem by just double clicking one of the ITR files directly from the share. This will at least provide me with a temporary solution. The problem itself must exist with both the Planner software as it interacts with the ITR software, and with the ITR shortcut that is generated from the install.

I have taken a screenshot of the error message, and emailed the address that is given in the Planner installation guide.

By the way, in case anyone thinks I don't need to be installing all this onto each machine, just on teachers' laptops, I have been asked to install it everywhere by the deputy head. All of our teachers get a half day in school for planning, and their laptops are often still used in classes for the IWB so they need the planning software elsewhere.

Thank Post
    I've installed it locally on staff laptops in case they use it at home, with only one server and no vpn I thought it night be 'safer'
    Just checking - your staff laptops are on the domain?? Ours aren't, and I didn't have any problems with those - just with doing standalone on a networked PC.

Also, assuming your staff laptops are on the domain, you were logged in as domain admin and not local admin??

Thank Post
    Yes mine are all on the domain, I copy the contents of all software cds to a drive on the server and install from there ie not needing the cd to do each install. I've installed as a local setup both the iplanner and resources from the copy of the cd on the server. Both are fully functional when not on the network as staff are using the software at home.
    Can't understand why it would be any different with non networked laptops presumably you are using the cd at each machine, so there's no difference. When I'm in on monday I'll uninstall from my laptop and reinstall as local admin to see what happens!

Thank Post
    Yes mine are all on the domain, I copy the contents of all software cds to a drive on the server and install from there ie not needing the cd to do each install. I've installed as a local setup both the iplanner and resources from the copy of the cd on the server. Both are fully functional when not on the network as staff are using the software at home.
    Can't understand why it would be any different with non networked laptops presumably you are using the cd at each machine, so there's no difference. When I'm in on monday I'll uninstall from my laptop and reinstall as local admin to see what happens!
    Bit worried we may be getting our wires crossed, so just clarifying things:

1. Non-networked laptops have been fine.
    2. On the domain PCs, I was logged in as domain administrator, not logged onto the machine as local admin - is that where I went wrong?? Do I need to be logged in as local admin?
    3. Yes, I am putting the CD into the machine drive. I'm going to get one machine fully working (ha, ha!) and then image it and send that round to the rest.

Thank Post
    Yeah sorry thought the non networked machines were the problem. On the laptops and a couple of computers in the suite installed it logged on as domain admin. All laptops and computers are on the domain.

A really silly question, but you can install just the resources if you switch the serial code round, I've done this on the computers in the suite as the pupils won't need the iplanner but the resources may be useful in a lesson for individual use. You've not doing that when you install the resources are you? as that may make the i planner and the resources not 'speak' to each other.

On the desktop you have the folder marked ITR resources have you got more folders that just the resource folder. Sorry going by memory as not in that school today.

Thank Post
    Yeah sorry thought the non networked machines were the problem. On the laptops and a couple of computers in the suite installed it logged on as domain admin. All laptops and computers are on the domain.

A really silly question, but you can install just the resources if you switch the serial code round, I've done this on the computers in the suite as the pupils won't need the iplanner but the resources may be useful in a lesson for individual use. You've not doing that when you install the resources are you? as that may make the i planner and the resources not 'speak' to each other.

On the desktop you have the folder marked ITR resources have you got more folders that just the resource folder. Sorry going by memory as not in that school today.
    No, haven't done the serial code switch thing, just a nice follow the instructions carefully install in the way that is SUPPOSED to work with the planner!! But it wasn't a silly question.

The desktop folder isn't a folder, just a shortcut to the folder where the ITRs are stored. The actual folder is in Abacus Evolve Teachers in Program Files on the C: drive. That just contains other folders with pdfs, word docs and the easiteach ITRs. Copying these basic files to a network share just makes them available by direct clicking. And it means that at least they are available, even if not through the planner.

Just had an email back from Abacus support. Had sent them a very detailed email going through all the steps I had taken, and their email has just asked me questions which were already answered in the first email. Anyway, I've answered them again. Don't hold out much hope though...sigh...

Thank Post
    Ah! It's not the ITR software install, it's the Planner software. Not that I've fixed it, but I have just realised that the Planner software includes all the photocopy masters, assessment sheets, etc., and these don't work from the Planner either. So the basic planner works, but doesn't load any of the things that appear under the Resources menu. Not as a teacher anyway. Have emailed Abacus support to let them know.

Thank Post
    Our maths department bought this last year without telling me, and then promptly put it on my desk to install on the network saying it was urgent and was essential for their work.

If memory serves me right, the version we had was bugged and wouldn't install so we had to wait to get get updated discs. Still wouldn't work as a network install even after following instructions to the letter and talking to support. I finished installing it on staff laptops and workstations as stand alone versions.

After many hours of frustration trying to get this to work and finally putting it on half a dozen laptops and workstations, I have since found out that some don't use it as, in their words "it isn't really what we wanted". Since then I don't know of any member of staff that does us it.
    Any machine rebuilds don't have it on and no one has questioned where it has gone.

Thank Post
    Thanks, pbrian49, but the teachers who have trialled it on their standalone laptops really like it and are using it (apart from the fact that they are finding errors in the maths in parts of the units), and it has therefore been ordered and all of the other teachers are very keen. I have to get this working by January. Still no response from Abacus.

Thank Post

OK. I moved to another XP PC, with no Abacus installed. I ran the NETWORK install, exactly as instructed in the Installation Guide for the software. Then did the client install in the same way on the same machine.

Works fine logged in as administrator. Exactly the same failure error message logged in as teacher user - Pllanner starts fine, log in, try to access anything from Resources - error message (apart from ITRs, which tell me they're not installed).

I did try Filemon and Regmon last week, on the standalone install. My current version of these is rubbish, but at some point I think I picked up an Access Denied message targetting one of the Microsoft SQL folders. Does anyone think the problem could be with SQL permissions?

Thank Post
    Rang Abacus software support to see if my emails were getting through. Only one person covering support today!! And that person was on lunch. Fortunately, the non-technician who was looking after the phone during the lunch break was able to check for my emails and they were getting through, and he did say he would pass on the fact that I had called.

In the meantime, I have copied the installed folder called Resources (which contains all the Homework sheets, Assessments, etc and the ITRs) to a folder on a shared drive and created my own ITR shortcut for the Start Menus. At least then the teachers can get the resources, even if they can't get to them via the planner.

Thank Post
    OK. I moved to another XP PC, with no Abacus installed. I ran the NETWORK install, exactly as instructed in the Installation Guide for the software. Then did the client install in the same way on the same machine.
    Now I'm really confused, I haven't run the network install at all, I've just installed the whole shooting match as a local install not touched the network install at all. I've installed it as a seperate entity on each machine, probably in the same way as you've done your non networked laptops.

Thank Post
    Now I'm really confused, I haven't run the network install at all, I've just installed the whole shooting match as a local install not touched the network install at all. I've installed it as a seperate entity on each machine, probably in the same way as you've done your non networked laptops.
    Sorry if I've confused you. I only moved to a new machine and tried the network install as the standalone install wasn't working properly, it looked like a permisions problem and I thought that maybe installing as network might at least work on this one machine - but it didn't, so have completely uninstalled and given up on that idea.

Abacus support got back to me, and said to set all user permissions to full control on the following two folders:

C:\Program Files\Abacus Evolve Teachers
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server

I got excited because I thought that might fix the issue, although I am nervous of setting permisiions to such a high level for everyone. But I've tried it on the Win2k install, and it doesn't make any difference. Have yet to try the XP install.

But to be honest, I've copied all the resources to the network share and so teachers can get these by double clicking them, and if they can't get to the resources through the planner then so be it. There just aren't enough hours in the day to be sorting this out, and it has to be up and running for the start of term. If it works well enough for teachers to knock out a plan and get hold of the resources, who cares if it doesn't do the fancy link between the two....?? Life is just too short...

Thank Post

Necormancy i know!

Morning
    Ive been battling with this for a while;
    I couldnt get the server based install to work kept asking for the cd on the workstations, installed it all manually locally and it works fine in administrator accounts, but the shortcuts wont even go through in the pupils accounts i cant find anything glaringly obvious in the permissions, what does abacus evolve need from the user to run?

Teachers have everything locally installed on their laptops which works fine

help please guys.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast