-
Posts
396 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tickmike
-
We use W2K Pro also Testing Ubuntu. Is there any free software I can download to test out using 'virtual machines' . Can you tell me about any good sites to learn about this subject. Could I use it on W2K ?. It would be nice to open more than user account at once (like XP Etc. ) Is that possible ?. Could I use W2K and Ubuntu together at a click away ?. Any other advice ?. Michael.
-
I think the latest world record is 192 miles ! in the USA. last year. 192 miles would be brilliant.Do you know if that was using "standard" WAP's though? Hi, Some info I noticed on the net when I set my school link up. so type a google or wikipedia search for ..wifi world record for distance. Loads of info out there. Michael.
-
Smoothwall/dans Guardian Link
-
I think the latest world record is 192 miles ! in the USA. last year.
-
They have to be on the 'Public Highway' . A few years ago, in our village the police where trying out a new type speed camera in one of the first vans for speed camera's in Derbyshire, they where parked on the forecourt of our local filling station ( private land). I was not very popular when in conversation with the policeman I told him he could not prosecute all the 80 drivers for speeding because he was parked on private land . Next time he came into my shop he told me I was right. Michael. PS. Just found out there in a new system that being tried out in some parts of the country . It logs your vehicle registration, then a long way down the same road (in Miles) they take your vehicle reg number again and give you a ticket if your average speed was above the speed limit.
-
Hi All . Good link and true. Being an ex-research scientist I have been there done that, If you look into the old post of mine on this site you should come across the one where I set up a 'Wifi Link' from my home to school about 150mts LOS (line of sight). At my house end I used an old satellite dish and at school the planners would not let me put up a satellite dish because its a listed building, so I used a lamp shade with foil on it ( and placed it in an old burglar alarm box ) at the focal point of the satellite dish and the lamp shade, I fixed a USB Wifi adapter made them weather proof and mounted them on the chimneys high up. Once lined up I got a 54MB connection over to school so I could look after the network from home ( as this was our charity run village school I did this for free !). Antenna site link Photo=alarm box Modified alarm box wifi antenna. PS. I live in the countryside with not much mobile signal but if I hold my mobile phone at the focal point of a satellite dish (Or metal salad bowl), Then rotate the dish (to find the strongest signal). I can get about three bars instead of one .( makes your arms ache on a long phone call !!!) Michael
-
I'm still testing Ubuntu ( at home) and trying to get my head around Linux, I have been using Thunderbird Email client ( it very good, but with a few problems). As I only use Webmail ( http ) e.g.. Hotmail, Lycos, Yahoo... at home. Can anyone suggest any more webmail type browsers I can try ?. Michael.
-
Hi I have a smoothie box at home protecting my network and I had lots of problems connecting to my Broadband router, because my router could not be put in bridge mode I ended up getting a set of public Ip's and using them to set it up to connect to my smooth box.. Go and join the forum at Smoothwall forum. They are very helpful . Link to SW forum Michael.
-
Hi. I have taken this machine out of service but would like to get it going as a spare. It uses a socket 'A' AMD Duron cpu, I have found an new mobo in the spares box and that uses socket 'A' Athlon XP or Duron . So could I just use the old cpu out of the old mobo in the new mobo ?. Edit ....Do I need to check the spec's or can I just plug it in ?. From Michael.
-
Hi Ric and Mattx. This one machine is a odd one out being different to the others, I will check out the PS. Thinking back we had to change the hard drive last year, but that was quite new and I was surprised when it went, all seamed ok until a few weeks ago when we are getting the same symptoms as before that drive went. Maybe it wasn't the drive and like you say could be the MOBO ! Michael edit...Is it any good to bios flash it ?.
-
Hello All. I have one machine on the network that's being a pain, It keeps freezing on POST , It checks the hard drives ok ( but some times it cannot find them) but when it gets to the DVD and CD rom drives It fails to find them. The only way to get it past POST is to turn the mains switch off then on again (some times twice) to get it working again. Done all the usual checks Eg, are the cables plugged in etc. I'm just defragging the hard drive. In POST is it just the Bios used or is it using the Boot sector. while the screen got stuck I took down the bios details. 25/5/2002 American Megatrends Inc. 62-0523-001131-00101111-040201-via_k7-k7vmm Do you think it needs a bios flash or is it too old ? The os is W2K pro. Michael
-
That did the trick
-
Hi CyberNerd , Thanks for reply. It did not work. !. Tried sudo chmod u+rwx /home/username/.mozilla -R It said sudo u+rwx command not found. Also forgot there are two folders one monzilla-firefox and monzilla-thunderbird. looking with 'nautilus' they are in /usr/lib Can you get root permissions to use Nautilus if you can then you can see what your doing by right clicking a folder , permissions, change settings. ? Michael. ps Its on a spare test desktop machine.
-
Had a good look on Thunderbird site and found the web mail extensions and I have downloaded the extensions but need to change the folder permissions as it will not let me make changes. How do I change folder permissions with Terminal ? Is it sudo chmod/monzila/permissions ???? Help. I'm still on my steep part of my learning curve but I am very impressed with Linux. Michael.
-
Well that explains it Simon, thank you, but I have never noticed that on my windows box's. How in Ubuntu do you find your screen size, and change it ?. I'm on a slow learning curve for Linux, but I'm Impress with it. Regards Michael. Ps. I was looking for the other computers on my network last night, can someone give me a clue were to find them ?. (eg. my network places in M/S ).
-
Well I sust it out using the above link , I was going wrong by using 'open office' instead of the 'text' editor to copy and paste as a txt file, I think it had some embedded hidden items that confused it. Problem . As a test I have used http://news.bbc.co.uk as my main page, but it only uses 2/3 of the F/F browser page (from the LHS ) Other web sites use the full page .. any idea's why. Michael
-
That's what mine says !. Had a go with the 'package manager' but I could not see how to upgrade FF ( It was greyed out), I will have a look at it again later.
-
That looks just the job, I will check it out tomorrow.
-
From the two links (thanks Webman for your link) I think I have a lot of reading to do, If I go very wrong I can always re-install as its on a spare machine.
-
Hi Mark . Found my 'updater' and it tells me I need 95 updates, so I have updated Firefox only at the moment to see how to do it. Looks very useful that tool, Only problem its not updated to Firefox 2, Should I remove the current F/F, then try to install F/F2 ?. Thanks for the link . Edit...I only get half a page showing on the web viewer, How do I expand it ?.
-
Happy New Year To All. I'm New To Linux, so, I have download and installed "Ubuntu 6.10" Set up my proxy settings ok and can get on the internet. I had a go at downloading the 'Firefox 2' , did that ok. But then came unstuck, 1.. How do I install it. ?. and is it the same principle for other Linux software . 2..Are there some web sites for Linux beginners ?. Michael.
-
Thanks for info, Because the mp3 player is "faulty" ( it will not switch on ) things are on holt for now. Can you record from Radio 1 etc. 'streaming' ?. If so, is there any 'free' software to do it ?. Regards Michael.
