-
Posts
1,433 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ICTNUT
-
@benIT : We are currently trialing the securus system which does what you say yours does. I would be very intrested in seeing what yours can do, please can you provide some more info for me, PM me. [edit] Just read page 1 of this thread and I would agree with alot of the posts about the false positives yeah sure it catches the few and we did make an example of them but most are just pickingup words that are mis-spelled of have a letter missing. Don't know if I have the time to sit through the daily barrage of reported violations to only find a handfull that are correct. [/edit]
-
I have only ever come across HPthat runs offers this good and this frequently. I bought 4 HP 3700 Colour Laser Printers and with the rebates (took 2 months to get back) got nearly £1000 off. The last lot of laptops we bought (nx6130) we got 3 years onsite next day warranties with them for free, can't argue with that, a saving of £70 per laptop Netgear tend to run alot of promotions on thier layer 2 & 3 gigabit switches but no real rebates though.
-
Erm.... The big problem with messenger is that is operates on multiple port numbers so to identify which port is being used to acknowledge that the message was received by the client maybe abit tough, but I could look into it. As long as the programyou want to send the message is able to broadcast via UDP to the port specified in the settings.ini file then they could send messages to the clients as it stands now. The only thing is that ALL clients would get the message as apposed to the server being able to send to set groups. Also the settings file for the client has an authservers section (disabled by default) which allows you to lock out messages from any other IP other than those listed thus stopping unwanted SPAM messages.
-
This is exactly how we do it in ISA 2004 Block all port 443 traffic and then get staff to request whitelist sites. Student has no need for access to 443 really, the only ones that I found did need it was our sixth form and access to the UCAS site.
-
New updated version of the software released. New Features: - Log files to DB - Logs now show total number of sucessful messages as well as failed ones - Abiltity to report the PC name or ip that failedto get the message - pre-flight check to see if the client is alive on the LAN which means mass message broadcasts are even quicker. Tested Working on Vista although some security settings need tweaking for it towork the way it should. Whats next? - Ability to update the client settings directly from the server. - Link into AD groups - Means you don't have to manually create the groups yourself. - Proxy Server to allow remote site messaging across WAN - Lets see what else users can come up with. Many Thanks All..
-
After a very quiet period in development I amhappy to announce a new version of ANFS is finally here. If you plan to install this one please uninstall the old one first ;-) You can get hold of the new version here --> http://www.opsoftware.co.uk/ Enjoy!
-
Hi All, I have developed Messenger Plus with one goal in mind. Get information to users desktops as quickly as possible. This is different to instant messaging chat programs that are available for people to exchange general messages to each other. This is a one-way messaging solution which is designed for information to be distributed from a central point (and quickly!). For example, your network suffers a critical server/application loss. Your Helpdesk will be swamped with calls and users will continue to complain until they know what is happening. With Messenger Plus, your Helpdesk (or anyone you require) can send out a message to the effected users explaining the problem and that ICT are working on a resolution. Users are kept immediately informed of the problem and subsequent resolution. The message from the helpdesk immediately appears on users desktops, and therefore has many advantages over the standard email process. Both the server and client are provided free of charge with support being provided via this forum. You will need to signup to get hold of the software but this will allow me to update you all when new versions are released. Many Many thanks to the following testers for thier help and support: SpuffMonkey GrumbleDook Gatt tosca925 sylv3r If you would like some more information on this or want to see what it looks like take a look at this thread --> http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6658 See you all soon.....
-
Any help would be great - Major network problems
ICTNUT replied to jumpinjamez's topic in Wireless Networks
I recommend what WITCH says above, switch everything off, bring the switches backup one be one, no depending on your setup you may need to do these in a set order especially if they are chained. Next bring the servers back up, but only the essential ones that let you logon to the network, the startup a client pc and see if you can logon and monitor speed. If this is ok start bringing up other servers and while doing this start and restart the same test client pc to see if there are any issues highlighted. If all of this is ok, move around the school and start client pcs in different locations to see if there is a problem, you will soon know if there is. At the end of the day if you network is still running this slow you could have a second or third loopback somewhere. Once you have sorted the problem the next step would be to see if you switches have any form of storm control and then enable it. -
Pop my name down: Adavnced VB6 / Intermediate VB.Net What kind of project are we thinking about..?
-
I use Spec Ops GPUpdate tool: http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/ It's free, add right click functionality to ADUC and works, I would highly recommend it.
-
Hi All, I am enableing access for our students to OWA 2003 and wondered if anyone new of a way to restrict access to thier email based on time. I have seen it done once before, but this was a couple of years ago and I can't remember how it was done. I am wanting to restrict so that they can only access before school, breaks, lunches, and after school as this will stop the mindless emailing back and forth between classes when they should be working. Any ideas gratfully received......
-
Hi All, Been using SLK for a couple of months now and some of the early tests show it is a good product that is..... Has anyone worked out how students return the work the get sent to them? I have sorted the permissions (taechers are SLKIntructors and students are SLKLearners) I have versions enabled the doc storage library and have been able to send documents out to a group of students. When the student opens the word doc to edit it.... what next?? I must be missing something as I would assume all they need do at this point is close it and the document is returned but this does not seem to be the case. Anyone have any ideas how the workflow is supposed to work.
-
Setting up VLANS depends on the type of switch you that is to say each vendor will have thier own way of describing how to do this on thier switches. So it is unlikely that you will find a generic guide on how to do this. Your best bet is to find someone who has the same type of swicth in place alredy and can give you pointers on what to do. As for interface it is most likely that you will use the web interface.
-
Stop looping effects caused by interconnection...
ICTNUT replied to johnny's topic in Wireless Networks
If you want to remain with gigabiit connectivity we use NetGear GSM 7224 Layer 2 Managed switch in all our classrooms 24 ports @ 10/100/1000 and 4 SFP fibre ports on them too. Has Spnning Tree Protocol and Storm Control not a bad bit of kit for around £250 - £280 depending where you go. Our flat domain is configured into 3 VLANS right down to classroom level i.e. VLAN 1 Servers and backbone, VLAN2 Admin, VLAN3 Curriculum -
@GrumbleDook I have aimed it directly at non curriculum pc's but that is not to say that you could not use it on any PC.
-
we have a three tier system in place, level 1 is provided by an ISA 2004 solutions (this is required as we have been piloting a remote access solutions and our county has insisted on it) this also provides me with a DMZ Level 2 is provided by smoothwall/dans guardian <- I maybe removing this soon .... Level 3 is provided by BLOXX -> http://www.bloxx.co.uk - this is not a bad solution andis cheap for education to so DON'T go by the prices they have on the web £8k per year is over kill. [edit] Add to that a 63 page enforced (i.e. SMT backed) AUP works pretty well. [/edit]
-
@Webman: The client faced message is forced on top of all other windows and the [x] on the top right is disabled to force the user to click on the close button. I agree on the delay'd close though, i'll have a look at putting it in. <-- this is now in the current build There is a log system for tracking also and is as follows: On the server there is a log file generated to show if: a) the client in the list was on or off line b) if the client was online that the message was delivered c) when the user clicks on the close button on the client end an acknowledged message is sent back to the server On the clicent end there is a log file that logs the incoming message, date, time, and who sent it, and also who acknowledged the message i.e. pressed the close button. Phew..... I am going to create a build of both the client and the server for Tuesday, I will also have the online bug log setup too for reporting and such. I will email all those intrested around then with the download details.
-
Hi All, I have developed a client server messaging application to allow one way communication from around the network. The idea was born out of having to ensure that users had got the message about a server going down or requirement to get out of an application due to upgrade requirements etc... My site is fairly large and to run around is not an option and after looking into alternatives (and the cost of them too) I decided to right one instead. The application is wriiten in VB and is lightweight. It is made up of 2 part the client and the server (see screen shots below). Once testing is out of the way and the project is stable I will be looking to donate this project as an open source one and hopefully make it into a fully featured application. Current Features are: Ability to preview message before send Send messages based on group send message to more than one group at a time unlimited groups unlimted pc's in a group PC's can be either IP or NAME Client starts when PC's starts and requires zero user interaction (other than confirmationof messages) Would be nice if: Groups could be collected from AD (LDAP) Client settings can be pushed out to clients <- in progress already Some sort of reporting front end Screen Shots: Server: http://www.supportdeskonline.co.uk/server1.png http://www.supportdeskonline.co.uk/server2.png http://www.supportdeskonline.co.uk/server3.png Client: http://www.supportdeskonline.co.uk/client1.png If you would like to be a tester please PM me and i'll sort it out. We will need a mix of large and small setups with both AD, Workgroup, and Novell to ensure it works they way it should. Let see how it goes.........
-
Yey Have found a solution: http://www.petri.co.il/setting_mailbox_limits.htm Look at - Method #2: ADmodify - Many users at the same time Have installed it on the exchange server and has worked wonders, and guess what it's FREE to......
-
Hi All, I am about to let the kids loose with email but I want to set the mailbox limits, is there a way (or a tool) that will let me bulk update the users instead of having to set them one by one (i have 1200 of them to do!!!) I know that I can set mailbox store policies to globally set this and I intend to do this for the students but I still need to bulk change the teachers accounts, over 200 of these.... Any ideas anyone???
-
Thank you cybernerd :-)
-
Ok, here goes. As an update I could not get FreeBSD and mailscanner to work, following the online pointers to get Exim and mailscanner to work it referes to parts of the config files that do not exist and so will not work when i try to start it. I have installed and setupp successfully (and is currently running live) proxmox however the features we need are not in the free version and it does cost abit to upgrade so for the time being I am happy that some spam and av is being done but it is not a final solution. Does anyone know of a step by step idiots guide to getting something like this setup?? I am after: FULL SPAM Control (with RBL & SBL & SPF & Greylisting) AV Control Ability to send SPAM to a dedicated mailbox Would be nice if it had a web frontend for viewing logs, reports, and changing admin settings, but not essential I would really like to get this up and running and don't really want to run and hide and cave into buy expensive windows licences........
-
I want to try an limit the amount of user interaction/intervention to as little as possible. From past experience I can pretty much gaurantee that most will not even check for quarantine mail so the idea would be to place them in to a holding mailbox that either I or my techie can access and forward on if need be. However when it comes to me changing configuration settings it would be nice to have a web front end that I can access from anywhere and also some reports too. I have found this --> http://mailwatch.sourceforge.net/doku.php which does like quiet nice but it requires PHP and MySQL and I am not sure how easy it is going to be to install those. I have FreeBSD installed and both MailScanner and Perl are installing now so all is looking promising
-
Question: For admin purposes does Mailscanner or Spamassassin have a web based GUI or if not is there a hack to get one??
-
Cheers Geoff, i'll let you know how I get on I wouldn't say I was a linux noob but I am when it come to SPAM and AV control on *nix.
