Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

_Bat_

Members
  • Posts

    1,352
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by _Bat_

  1. Lol, I have to agree with Richard on this one . For my 21st (which was only two months ago) I just had a party with a few friends and family and absolutely no alcohol whatsoever (none of us drink and I'm happy with it that way). We still had fun... there are just no advantages to alcohol, if you need it to be sociable then something is missing .
  2. Probably not, but it is what I was asked to do. They plan their lessons on their laptops at home. In my schools, they sometimes also use their laptops for their interactive whiteboards. Why does a secondary school teacher need a laptop any more then a primary school teacher?
  3. I agree with what becktonboy said. Digiblue are determined that there will be no way to deploy it over a network... they are quite happy to leave it that way. But why? I'm sure their biggest customer base is schools, who incidently, tend to run computer networks often with way too many clients to be running around the school installing it on each one manually. Well in my case, primary schools don't really work like that AND I have to do what I have been asked to do. In my case, in one school I had to install the software on every teacher laptop (probably around 20+) and on all 30 machines in the ICT suite and then on all 24 computers in the classrooms. In the end I managed to persuade them to drop the classroom PCs (apart from a select few) and I was creating a new image for the ICT Suite PCs, so no trouble there so that just left the laptops.
  4. Digiblue:- - Good piece of software for the kids - 99% impossible to deploy over a network - Installing across a network has so far required a visit to each machine by every technician I am aware of on this forum that has used this software, including myself - E-mailing digiblue simply got the response "you can place the installer program on a share on the server, but installing the software still requires a visit to each machine". Wow, a fat lot of help they are. In other words, they are aware of the issue, but do nothing about it! - E-mail their tech support is very difficult. They seem to have several websites, many of which seem to be no longer maintained as e-mails I sent to specified addresses on some of the websites got returned. It was only due to luck I eventually found the correct address. - I had to manually install the program on a number of PCs, would have been many more if I wasn't just about to create a new image for pretty much the entire school. That could have taken up an awful lot of time.
  5. You have been the topic of discussion in at least two threads this past week... you even potentially had your own domain name
  6. Digiblue
  7. Lol, yeah, ours aren't brilliant, but I could tell the guy knew what he was talking about. He knew Ben (eduabncs) as well, which is always a good sign . LOL! Very true. I was thinking that as I typed it actually. As I said above though, I trusted what he was saying. He knew what he was talking about. Fair enough . But even if it was coming from me, contink would then be telling the teachers something that I had said had happened, so still hearsay .
  8. It's not really hearsay. I heard it from the person who was instructing our course. He said it to everyone on the course, so was speaking on behalf of link2ict (the LEA IT department). If that was hearsay, that isn't pretty much everything hearsay? Sometimes you have to trust what people say, especially people in authority.
  9. I can give a reasonble example I think. I heard this from a IT guy in our LEA. Apparently it happened in one of our schools, so I assume he has his facts correct. It relates more to password security, but it works here I think. The teacher didn't have a good password for their e-mail account, the pupil worked it out (assuming they looked over the teachers shoulder) and they logged into her e-mail account. The next thing they know, the pupil has sent an e-mail to the poor teachers boyfriend dumping him. Might seem funny... but this poor teacher had to pick up the bits after this. I didn't find out whether they got back together .
  10. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek This was posted on here a while back, but it's still funny.
  11. You are about three months too late . I was looking for something just like these then .
  12. We just use this too.
  13. I too would be interested in this if anyone can give anymore info. I kept meaning to get around to making my school websites DDA compliant but never did. I know about the simple things such as added "alt" tags to images, but what else is there?
  14. Hi all, I'm back again, We are currently trying to ghost a suite of computers, when sending the image to the server, ghost throws back this error at abt 99%: "Internal error 19215: An internal inconsistency has been detected" Have done research on symantec website but can only find one mention of the problem (or similar to the one) I have, which can be found here: https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=109&message.id=1206 . Interestingly, the PCs in question also have an intel board like he mentions in that thread though ours are a different model. Has anyone seen this error before? Can find very little information on it. The only potential solution in that thread is a "corrupt image" but I cannot see why. I just find it interesting that he also has intel boards. Thanks!
  15. I guess I have learnt my lesson I guess I didn't think it would happen that easily... it wasn't really sysprep, it was WMP. What a strange program to be the culprit... oh well, at least it'll remove that bit of DRM
  16. I have had to start again from scratch. Like other people have said elsewhere on the internet, the workarounds just didn't work properly. I couldn't run sysprep again as I couldn't boot into windows. This time I'll make sure WMP11 isn't installed *sigh*. You'd have thought that because ALL the software in question was made by Microsoft that it would work... oh... wait...
  17. We were in the process of making an image for some of our laptops and after running sysprep, the image annoying threw up this error message when the laptop was next booted. It then reboots does exactly the same thing when windows trys to boot up again, so I end up in an endless loop! Research on the "interweb" tells me that a combination of Windows Media Player 11 and sysprep causes this error. WTH? How stupid... There appear to be several ways of working around this error, all of which are just as annoying and inconvenient as the next. Some people even said the workarounds didn't work properly, so I might have to start the image again from scratch. Take a point from team Microsoft, please! Has anyone else had this error before?
  18. That is what I did. Works brilliantly. No-one even uses the "old" domain name anymore either.
  19. Between the two schools I work for, I have now implemented: - Two copies of Joomla, one for each school - One copy of OCS Inventory, soon to be two - One copy of Wordpress - Two copies of Zoom image gallery - Two copies of Tux Paint network wide - Two copies of Tux Type network wide - Various applications installed in the techy office only such as wink, The GIMP, a variety of PDF tools etc. If all the above software cost money, I reckon it'd amount to quite a lot altogether. I love open source
  20. Thanks for your help and ideas guys... I'll use your ideas and get this fixed in a bit.
  21. No It isn't one we host in school. We rent it from plugsocket.
  22. I'm a bit confused by your answer. I think you might misunderstand my first post. I'm not actually on the webserver, I meant when I'd uploaded it to the webserver, it just doesn't work. Also, it works in firefox, just not internet explorer?
  23. Hi all, I have made a little flash movie which I wish to display on the school website. I have embedded the flash movie into an HTML document as a test. I opened it locally in IE and it works fine, however when I open it in IE when it is on the webserver, it just fails to load (this appears to happen in IE6 and IE7). However, when I open it in firefox on the webserver, it works fine? The test page I made can be found here: http://www.ridpoolprimary.co.uk/year2.htm Is this security permissions in IE that is causing this to happen? If so, what is causing IE to block it and how would I get IE to accept it as legitimate? Thanks!
  24. _Bat_

    Jokes

    I think a simple "Oh &^%$" gets it across pretty well
×
×
  • Create New...