Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

networkingNut

Members
  • Posts

    146
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by networkingNut

  1. I had bought a three day ticket for the British round this year but family commitments meant I never went
  2. We have decided to upgrade to 2007 over the summer. We need to re-image the entire school so are doing 07 as part of it. I am just waiting for the phone to ring in September with people saying they don't like it or don't know how to use it. I wish we did not have to as much software on the images. Most of them though are exe's only. nN
  3. Can anyone guide me on how to do it. The only instructions I can find are for 2010, which I am planning on upgrading to after I have done a Database backup.
  4. I cant wait to move on from office 2003! I haven't yet tried 2010, I doubt we will go direct to 2010 but eventually go to 2007. nN
  5. We run the following script on a machine before its imaged. It removes it from the machine 'xp_messsenger_remove.vbs - Removes Windows Messenger from Windows XP '© Doug Knox - 3/30/02 'Downloaded from www.dougknox.com Option Explicit On Error Resume Next 'Dimension variables Dim WSHShell, MyBox, p1, q1, rcmd Dim jobfunc 'Set the Windows Script Host Shell and assign values to variables Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") p1 = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Hide Messenger" q1 = 2 rcmd = "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove" 'Create or change the Hide Messenger value WSHShell.RegWrite p1, q1 'Run the uninstall command WshShell.Run(rcmd)
  6. Replaced our netpilot remote firewall with Smoothwall. Set the GPO settings to port 800 then sat wondering why there was no net connection. I missed the checkbox which says 'enabled' on the Smoothwall. nN
  7. Solved - It was just a case of a few reboots and re-activating the Smoothwall Proxy. Now to learn how to install stuff onto it nN
  8. Curriculum staff and teachers connect to the Internet via our proxy server 10.1.0.5 port 80. The proxy server is then connected to the smoothwall box Admin staff as us techies connect via direct to our smoothwall box 10.1.0.25 port 8000. Curriculum staff and teachers can connect fine however admin staff and techies cant accesss internet via IE8. Firefox works fine The GPO for admin staff and techies is set to 10.1.0.25 port 8000. In smoothwall the 'outgoing' tab traffic on green is allowed with exceptions. I cant see why we cant connect via IE8 Any ideas
  9. We add it as a section to our room booking system. (MRBS)
  10. I think mains cable is the way to go after reading everything. I would like to do a single run but I will have to double check the back of speakers to see if they can be opened. Thanks nN
  11. I will probably just go with the mains cable as its cheapest and colour coded. Thanks everyone
  12. I would prefer to get something colour coded so its easier to trace the cables. The only one I could find on richer sounds is Cambridge Audio SYMPHONY BI-WIRE | Per Metre | Richer Sounds Although its not colour coded its marked on the cable. However this is more expensive than the ebay stuff I asked the the ebay seller for a quote and he said £64 delivered for a 50m role
  13. I am looking for cable to extend my Hifi Speakers (Bi-Wired) The unit is a Panasonic SA-AK410. I am torn between FOUR CORE IND LAP SCREENED AUDIO CBL - CBBR6312 - PRO POWER Bi-Wire Flat OFC Speaker Cable 4 x 1mm (20m Length) on eBay (end time 01-Jul-10 21:58:11 BST) I am really a bit clueless when it comes to speaker cable. I am leaning to the CPC one as its screened and colour coded. Any opinions or other suggestions appreciated. In terms of connecting I am thinking butt connectors as I am not very good at soldering
  14. I am attempting to set up ftp on my home server (Server 2003) using IIS with Active directory segregation. This is so I can hopefully go on and implement it at work. I have set the site up fine (I think) and given myself full permission on a folder. The same folder has been specified as the home folder under the AD account settings. Every time I try to test it (ftp://localhost) it asks me to login. I enter the username and password and it keeps bouncing back as if to say I don't exist. I have tried to keep it simple. There are only two accounts 'Administrator' and the one I am trying to test. On server the home directory folder is located at T:\%username% In active directory the home path is pointing to \\server\t$\%username% The T drive is shared. I just cant see what is stopping it. Any ideas? nN edit: Could it be anything to do with needing to set the msIIS-FTPRoot and msIIS-FTPDir? Is the a way to do this in AD or do I have to use VBS? I was under the assumption that FTPDir was the same as the home folder (Connect drive x to \\server\folder)?
  15. Is there any way to change the capture file format in Vegas 9. I am trying to capture a 3 hour VHS using composite connections so I can transfer it to DVD. I can only manage to capture it as AVI and I dont have the space for 3 hours worth of AVI. I think it was about 25GB for approx 6 minutes. Thanks nN
  16. We have around 250 desktops,50 laptops and 8 servers. In terms of staff we have one full time network manager, 1 full time technician (me) and a placement student We have around 750 students. We have a mix of Smart and Hitachi Cambridge boards in most rooms. 9 flip cams, 1 digital camera and numerous other stuff.
  17. BBC News - Jobs threat as Coventry technology agency to close Just wondering what everyone's feeling on this is?
  18. have you tried Freecycle?
  19. I am trying to access a student's mailbox in outlook 2003 and every time I try and expand her folders it says "The set of folders could not be opened". I have reset the students password. I have ran "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Outlook.exe" /resetfolders but it still did not solve it and I have also done an exchange server 2003 repair installation. Any ideas anyone?
  20. Thats what i thought. Thanks for letting me know Thanks nN
  21. When migrating drives to a larger RAID controller is there a way of doing so without formatting the drives. I have two RAID one sets, which I am trying to migrate I am trying to migrate from a silicon image SIL 3114 card to a AMCC 3Ware 9500S-12 controller. Thanks
  22. Just wondering how do you secure your staff laptops? All we currently do is etch them. After suffering a few thefts from staff member's houses I am looking at how I can improve it. I have looked at encryption with truecrypt but the only problem I can see with that is getting the data back if you forget the password used to encrypt the drive. Most of the tracking systems are only any good if they connect to the Internet. I know it may be a long shot but does anyone have any ideas? Thanks nN
  23. I have managed to write a vbs script to delete the folders. Is it posible to place the software installation msi and the vbscript into the same GPO object or do they have to be separate. I have tried assigning them both in the same GPO but the only one that executes is the VBS and the software installation was mised out. Any ideas? Thanks NN
  24. I am trying to deploy Open Office 3.2 via GPO and have managed to install it fine using the following transform to update our older versions Installation Transforms for OpenOffice | Open Office Technology Check_OOE_v3.mst The problem I am having is although it uninstalls the old versions fine. It leaves the empty start folder in. Is there a way to edit the transform so it deleted all old start menu folders relating to open office. I looked at ORCA but havent got a clue where to start Thanks nN
  25. Does anyone know where I can source a fuser unit for a HP cp 3505n printer. Our regular supplier says they have "gone into constraint with HP" and there is a lead time of at least 3 months. We had a student break our original by trying to print onto perspex nN
×
×
  • Create New...