-
Posts
430 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by buzzard
-
I agree, played the CoD5 Beta and I think for a Beta its poor, nowhere near as good as the Cod4 Beta I played, it for me is more like a DOD2 then a CoD series game. I'm going to pass on this like I should have with MOHPA. I'm goning to stick with playing BF2142 and CoD4 until they patch it and get better reviews.. I guess thats why they release a beta for!
-
swap to using the portable one from a shared drive, just redirect the shortcut and that should avoid the issue of them messing about . Sorry I couldn't help with the actula issue!!
-
sorry for the delay in getting back, been off on me jollys, They have Backup Exec, and yes it can send them email, its set at the minute to mail me on the set criteria, I could incude them in the tape not changed one. But in all honesty they'd just delete the msg. I've set the script through scheduled tasks as suggested, it's on a daily repeat but it repeats during the day at 09:00, 12:00 15:30 and 16:00. The user finishes at 16:00 so she gets nagged at during the day ! I have a good relationship with them so it's a tounge in cheek reminder, but just so if the brown stuff hits the fan I have tried (4 times a day) to ensure they are changing the backup tapes, after all its in their SLA!! Thanks for the advice. Buz
-
How to create a certificate request for an Exchange 2007 UCC
buzzard replied to Dos_Box's topic in How do you do....it?
sound like you had fun over half term -
ring - UK National Anthem (annoys the left wing people in the office) msg - Deutschlandlied (same reason as above)
-
we recharge all printing to departments because we where spending way too much on printing. Making departments pay for it has reduced it by 75%. Basically they only now print what they need to. They are charged on a monthly basis, these are passed onto the finance manager who did the transferal of funds between budgets.
-
anyone?? I've tried to look at it since but I've two guys off sick so it's even more manic then usual!!! Hopefully next week I'll get 5 minutes!
-
I'm sure this will take a real coder seconds but as I'm hopeless with coding!! I need a msgbox to pop up to remind a member of staff in a remote corner of the world to change the bloody backup tape, rather then it annoy her everytime she logs on it needs to check the crtiteria lets say, did the user log on within the last 12 hours if no the show the msgbox. Any Help would be greatly recieved!!! Regards Buzz
-
could you not write a small script that resets the proxy settings whilst they are at home?
-
as a test can you try another laptop with that user & offline files? What profile does she use (roaming/local - mandatory)? whats the size of files syncing? I know that you can set the limit on space taken by offline files locally, i wonder if she's now hitting this limit??
-
Anyone here uses Censornet??
-
Defo use the GPO much simpler to manage, but beware this can easily be applied to the entire network rather then the few computers you want! Just use the security filtering on the GP to narrow down where it applies.
-
Hi Just after some advice on local secondary filtering, at present we just have the fantastic Smartfilter from the LA, but due to the kids finding ways round this highly complex filter I need something I can better control, after searching two ones pop out (I'm looking for no/low cost ) are Censornet and Dan's Guardian. My Question is this, which one would you use and why? It's not a big unit, about 20 Comps, 10 laptops and 1 DC. I have a semi decent box to stick the filter on. TIA Buz
-
After taking a look at GLPI again I think it's a go, just need to set it up on a test server and see what I can cut out of the interface that I don't need. I need to work out a way to make it look better as well! I assume you can change them in a cp somewhere! I'll update thi when I get somewhere with some feedback, thanks for your replies! BUz
-
In my opinion this is not constructive, nor does it contribute to edugeek so I'd close the thread and deal with it over PM/IM. I hear the censorship line but as most say if you don't like it don't come here!
-
briefly, I've downloaded it but it looked a bit "too much" if you know what i mean, I'll have another look at it and see whats what! Thanks
-
Hi all, I've spent soo long looking for some software to fit my spec as close as possible for this. What I'm after is a web-based asset management, or more importantly asset tracking system (pref in php/MySQL). I have been currently using the Hardware Management System from MST Software which has been fine for me to use, but now I'm having problems using it on Vista/Server 2008 plus i prefer web based apps as I tend to forget the laptop!! My biggest difference to most of the threads on here is that i don't want it to discover anything, just a manual entry. the reason for this is we have several bases/units on seperate sites but I manage all the kit and it's on 'my' stockbook. I like the look of IRM but there seems to have been no movement with the project for a few years, the guy has posted on edugeek a few times.. (budgester?).. I've just come across one on sourceforge here I'm using One or Zero for the helpdesk so that aspect isn't needed as such, but if I can get one that does both then thats great! Has anyone another one I've missed, or any experiance of these? tia Buz
-
I know this is an old thread, in addition to the pst solution I just have a portable email client on my usb stick, that way I don't have to faf around opening data files in outlook
-
Me and the Techs all have a Dell latitude D630 with 4gb of RAM 160Gb HDD, Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz (T7500). I personally run XP but licenced for Vista Ultimate x64. but until the people I support move over I'll probably stay with XP on this work machine. As we work in 26 different places we have the docking ststion at our base with 2 x 20" Samsung SyncMaster 205bw. We also have HTC TYTN II PDA phones Without this kit it would take us alot longer to respond and resolve any issues in centres. I'm not suprised to see some techs without kit, in the first school I working in as a tech we had FA and had to book computers in order to get anything done...... nice
-
thanks for the replies, the things I have picked up initially from there T&C are as follows From my figures the school doesn't print a great deal and if they have to buy a set of toners every X then they will have a stack of toners doing nothing. We support several units across the county and hav a generally common set of printers, It would be a better idea if I just bought in bulk and then recharged the units then subcontracting it out....... but I like some of the suggestions made in here Thanks
-
Has anyone had any experiance of these? I have an IT Teacher causing me issues wanting to use these..... I've flagged up a few issue sin there sample T&C (the main being i can't touch them - a good thing ) Any views in general on this would be good! Thanks
-
I think this quote from that site would be adequate for the General Public for photos not showing any kids
-
rather than the DPA is it not more thoughly covered in the Computer Misuse Act 1990, I know wikipedia isn't 100% but an quote from there reads as follows the full text of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 is to be found Here para 17 (5) could be used to highlight the act of staff logging students on as themselves? I have to say in the schools I have worked in the back up of the Computer Misuse Act, and presenting this to SMT and govenors had the desired effect of reducing the practice of logging on students with staff accounts (there are always going to be the odd one that like to break the rules!!) Also through this I had it highlighted that it was my decision as the NM to call in police if an offence had been committed even if the head didn't agree. This never happened fortunatly, but good to have that understanding!
-
Thanks Tim is this the info you're referring to? LINK Thanks for the guidance!
-
I know this post is a bit old but this has come up as we've just moved to a single domain, before the admin system backup was managed by the office manager, who took the tapes home. Now obviously she has no acces to the tapes and will not have any. But I could do with some hard evidence to prove my point about info off site, I have said its to do with the DPA and needs the Data Controller person involved but am getting a "What's a data controller?" look from members of SMT... Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Ben
